LMG Policies and Practices transparency experiment

I posted in another "transparency" thread about using a tool such as GitHub to collaborate on the policies other than on a forum - so we can see what's being change and suggest improvements. I put my words into action this morning. Introducing a GitHub repo to track these policies.

https://github.com/daniel-white/lmg-policies

I only imported one policy from Colton, but more can be added. I welcome LMG's and the community's input on this experiment.

This isn’t your job to be transparent for them.

It’s their onus to be transparent to their community. 

Edit: furthering this. They’ve spent weeks and months and years on their SOPs. They’re developing more. 

You’re not privy to their internal discussions/communications/decisions

Edited by ars3n1k

38 minutes ago, ars3n1k said:

This isn’t your job to be transparent for them.

It’s their onus to be transparent to their community. 

Edit: furthering this. They’ve spent weeks and months and years on their SOPs. They’re developing more. 

You’re not privy to their internal discussions/communications/decisions

I’m not asking for that. I’m suggesting a place that things can be tracked and held accountable 

Dear lord, you spammed this link how many times here already trying to make it work?

15 hours ago, Daniel White said:

I posted in another "transparency" thread about using a tool such as GitHub to collaborate on the policies other than on a forum - so we can see what's being change and suggest improvements. I put my words into action this morning. Introducing a GitHub repo to track these policies.

So, do all this on some github repo rather than right here? Why?

The inference seems to be because we can't trust a forum thread here, which means we can't trust LMG.

Well, pass.

If I didn't think I could trust LMG, at least as far as any customer can trust any company, I just wouldn't be here in the first place. As far as transparency goes, LMG seem to me to be as good as any, and better than most, but do I blindly "trust" what they do? No. But nor do I trust a "transparency" thread at some github repo either.

I'll watch what I see happening to policies right here, at the horse's mouth, and "trust" or not, based on that. Not a third-party echo chamber, thanks.

LMG is a company that has to put up with fans from within the community going rouge and harassing and threatening people. Why on earth would they go along with this? They are a privately owned company. They are not going to do something like this. This isn't the Linux Kernel.

I'm one of the guys who agreed with you in the original Labs Transparency Thread. However, I don't think this proof of concept repo is helpful. They've got a whole professional dev team on the Floatplane side, they know what git / GitHub is. They know what it would look like and what it would allow them to do.

And from my perspective, you wouldn't be able to run it as a POC on your own. You can't provide meaningful comments because you're not from within the company. You wouldn't be notified of changes, so you'd also have to set up some monitoring scripts. And I'm not sure about this particular part (I simply didn't check), but you also need to convert whatever they post on the forum into markdown to save in GitHub. Which will introduce unintended commits when, for instance, formatting changes slightly.

So, to sum it up, I think, it would be cool and beneficial for both the community (transparency) and LMG themselves (as I mentioned in that original thread, they can point to that changes history and showcase all the improvements they have put into processes over the years) to have version-controlled documents (in any form, not necessarily using git / GitHub), but it's up to them to implement it (including a POC), if they're interested.

From the community's side simply suggesting it is enough, and you did that 👍 But now I think it'd be better to let it go.