Building a "Black Light" PC - UV Light Questions

Ok, here's me having a potential moment of some sanity.

I have been speaking with a person on the Corsair forum while also being on here.  The person on the Corsair forum is saying that Corsair has designed their ARGB fans and controllers (Commander devices/iCue devices) to only recognize the quantities of LEDs on their devices and the problem with getting my devices to work with their iCue systems/devices is that my 3 triple pink AsiaHorse fans have something like 56 or 58 LEDs on each of them which is far more than the iCue devices have.  Getting this to work is essentially and metaphorically the same thing as trying to "fit a square peg into a round hole".

That being said, let's look at what NON Corsair controller options there are available.  Do you know of any that will not have me adding a million adapters and extra controller units?  I am not stuck on the iCue devices concept.  Fact is I only have 2 iCue devices, those being the pump/reservoir and the CPU Block.  Those are easy to deal with.  The hard part is dealing with the NON Corsair items and forcing them to work together with the iCue system controllers.  Any suggestions?

Ok, now that we might have a more sane method it sounds like I can finally get to work on assembling this.

One of my first question is do I still need the commander, core XT device or is it now irrelevant and I can go ahead and return it?

I am providing a link to my motherboard manual, which I have also printed out and will be looking at shortly. I would have preferred to just upload the manual, but it was larger than is allowed as far as file size is concerned.  Do I have enough a RGB connectors on my motherboard or will I need some sort of an additional device because I just have too much going on?

Now I just have to really look into the manual look at the schematics and figure out what gets plugged in where.  That part sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Another question becomes, although you said I can use my motherboard software does any third party ARGB software exist or that might be better than what will be coming with my motherboard?

MSI Z790 Edge W-Fi DDR4 MoBo Manual

My build just turned into a disaster! First off the slots at the bottom of the case that go from the back of the case, where the PSU is to the front. Those slots are too small to fit the connectors for the PSU cables. The ones at the top are fine, and the ones that run down the side where the motherboard gets mounted and where the fan and radiator get mounted fine but the ones at the bottom too small for the connectors to fit through. I also just installed my GPU with the GPU install. There’s no room for the Hydro X pump/reservoir.  The case I purchased is an 80 X size case which I thought would be adequate enough boy was I wrong in order to do a full water cooling loop you pretty much need an EATX size case. I will now be looking for a pink EATX case. 

i dont no who your talking to but if its me you have to use the quote button on the bottom left corner.

corsair stuff only works with corsair stuff because like you said how many leds each fan has. there are animations the need to no how many leds you have to work. and thows only work with corsair stuff.

threre are random animations that should work like rainbow or a solid color.

for non corsair stuff some times you tell it how many leds you have and it self adjust. but there may be some animations that it wound alow you do use.

basically you adding all you fan leds and pumps and all the leds up in to one long strip.

were as corsair stuff there's a setting you pick what fans you have and if you say have 3 fans with 20 leds once the animation gets to the 60 led it returns back to led 1. if you have say 100 leds and its still set for the 60 leds once it gets to the 60 led it gos back to led one.

razer has a stander connector controller but you have to make an account.

aquacomputer dose too on there later gen controller

coolermaster dose but i hate em and dont recommend it.

water cooled gpu blocks normally are shorter but im guessing your not water cooling it? if you did you probly need more then one rad imo.

what is the plan for the argb? what is all you want to do with it? do you want each thing to have it own color or you want them all the same. or you dont no yet?

it be easier to convert the corsair stuff to stander argb connector with a cable.  so you can light up the pump.

ied probly build the build first and then do argb after and see what your mb can do first imo every mb dose thing diffrantly is the problem... there also free software you might be able to syinc thing up but i have not used it yet...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, coming down to the wire now.....I am FINALLY ready to install the loop fittings and tubing!!!  Hip HIp HooRay!!  I have narrowed my design down to the fact that there are only 2 possible options.  Which Do you think is best?  FYI - If I do loop design 01 then the tube going from the pump/reservoir to the radiator will be threaded BEHIND the GPU if it fits........Here are the two pic I marked up as flow charts....I would love opinions...

Loop Design 01.png

Loop Design 02.png

I am having a total NEWBIE problem with the installation of the tubing and fittings.  How in the heck do you twist them on?  This issue is going to happen no matter which design I go with......My problem is my lack of previous experience with learning the techniques of doing this. 

When you install the first connection and then go to make the second connection you have to twist the tubing to get the fitting screwed in and the tubing does not want to twist and the fitting is so tight inside the tubing that it will not twist within the tubing.   I have had to disassemble the computer (remove the GPU, GPU Strimer, unseat the pump/res) for like the millionth time (this is getting so old) because everything is tight in the case.  When trying to screw in the fittings with the tubing to anything it is IMPOSSIBLE.  Getting the first end with its fitting is the easy part, the second end no matter which device or design I use is going to be the problem.  When you go to make the second connection the tubing needs to twist but first, that will kink the tubing, second the fitting inside the tubing is so tight it will not twist inside the tubing.  I do not understand how to do this.......

The answer cannot be connect the fitting and then push on the tubing because the amount of pressure required to do that would break things.....

What is the technique?  I already had a friend advise me that to get the fitting installed into the tubing dip the tubing into distilled water to make it slippery and that did help some....Part of the problem is my hands are small and not very strong........I am at my breaking point with this build and I am ready to cry......(sorry, I'm a girl/woman) and everyone has their breaking point and I am at mine.

• 1 month later...

Ok, back again.....some how life just keeps getting in the way of projects.......

I FINALLY have everything installed permanently.....(hopefully......sigh....I am so tired of disassembling/reassembling the machine)

NOW I am FINALLY ready to install the fittings and tubing and then be able to proceed to filling the loop and testing it.......

I need to figure out my best loop direction. As a reminder, this loop is small....I am only cooling the CPU so it consists of pump/res + radiator + CPU block.......I am providing pics of the current build configuration which is a tight fit.  I am also providing a spreadsheet of my fittings inventory, what I have and how many.  The spreadsheet also contains pictures of the fittings and links to them on Micro Center's website (I bought them at the store near me).  I just realized I cannot upload a spreadsheet so I am providing a link to where I am keeping it on my Google Drive.  I am using flexible tubing not hard tubing.

I am aware of which single port is the out-flow and that all others are intake.  Important thing to note about the case is that it has 2 tempered glass panels so the tubing has to fit with that in mind.  I have some possibilities but I am not certain which is my best option.

I MIGHT be able to fit a tube behind the GPU and up to either the CPU block or the radiator and then back to the radiator and then back to the pump/res completing the loop.  Other option is OUT from the pump/res then across/over to the CPU block which puts the tubing in front of the GPU and up to the CPU block, the from the CPU block over to the radiator and then back to the pump/res completing the loop.  If doing option 2 (in front of the GPU) the concern is will it fit when the front tempered glass panel is put on and two (this is 100% minor) how would it look.

Here are the pics (I am also including a pic of the back of the case because I am proud of my cable management and how I color coordinated the Velcro ties....that is so me and so hilarious!  Wiring not complete yet because I will only be able to finish it after the loop has been filled and leak tested).  My birthday is coming up on December 25, (yes, Christmas Day....my mom always used to say I was the "gift that kept giving....and then she'd add the word "agita" which is the Italian word for stress, aggravation, anxiety, worries...etc....how I wish she was still here to keep telling that to me) so I would really like to have this machine finished and running before my birthday.......

Fittings Inventory Spreadsheet Link:   Fittings Inventory Spreadsheet

Thank you to everyone for all of the help and comments.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

11-14-2023 Rdy 4 Loop 05.JPG

11-14-2023 Cable Mgmt 01.JPG

While waiting for replies, I stood in front of the PC and figured I might have to do a long tube across the bottom area and then curve it upward to the CPU.  I would then run the CPU to the radiator and then the radiator to the pump/res completing the loop.  I did come up with a question after that thought process though.  Can I run a length of tubing straight across the bottom then instead of curving the tubing which would probably cause it to want to naturally curve outward (because it is flexible tubing that has been curled up in a box for a long time) cut the tubing and add the proper angled fittings and run another straight tubing upward to the CPU?  Is it acceptable to add intermediary fittings for a better fit?

Ok, got my first portion of loop sort of in.......now my question is what goes in between these two fittings? Please consult my inventory spreadsheet to tell me which of what I have helps these two tubes connect?

Loop Fittings Connections 01.JPG

On 11/20/2023 at 9:26 AM, WonderWoman said:

Can I run a length of tubing straight across the bottom then instead of curving the tubing which would probably cause it to want to naturally curve outward (because it is flexible tubing that has been curled up in a box for a long time) cut the tubing and add the proper angled fittings and run another straight tubing upward to the CPU?  Is it acceptable to add intermediary fittings for a better fit?

It's best to keep the runs short, and straight as possible with gentle curves. The pump you have is strong enough to allow for some longer running paths without worrying about using some extra angle fittings here and there. I've done some tubing where I used extra fittings to make it easier to work with, and was able to bend the tubing in specific directions that allowed me to remove the graphics card easier. There is also increase point of failures between more fittings, but it wasn't something I worried about after I got more use to tightening the fittings properly.

21 hours ago, WonderWoman said:

Any female to female ends would work. The rotary will work, but I think it's best to avoid using rotaries when possible. If this was my build I would use a 90 degree rotary and quick disconnect because it makes it easier to disassemble/drain/fill. After doing this for 3 years it just easier using quick disconnects with soft tubing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

I finally have the cooling loop assembled/installed....I didn't need to use additional angled fittings after all.  I was able to go with the "K.I.S.S." (Keep It Simple Stupid) design.....3 tubes....pump/res to CPU block then CPU block to radiator then radiator to pump/res completing the loop........Now I have chemical questions before I fill it.

I am ready to fill my pink desktop and do the leak testing. I have questions about the coolant chemicals. I am using Primo Chill flexible tubing which came with 2 small bottles of 2 different chemicals.

PrimoChill flexible tubing kit

One of them is "SysPrep" and the other is something called "Utopia". They both say to mix them with distilled or deionized water. I am going to be using the Corsair Hydro-x series XL8 coolant and Primochill UV Pink transparent dye instead of the water.

Here are my questions:

1) Do I use both chemicals?

2) Since one of them is called a "sysprep" am I supposed to fill the loop, do the leak testing, let it run and then empty it and refill it with the permanent coolant & dye and then use the "Utopia" chemical?

3) Are both the sysprep and the Utopia ok to use with the Hydro-x coolant or are they ONLY to be used with the deionized/distilled water? (as in do not use them with coolant)

Looking forward to the reply.....I am hoping to do the filling and leak testing on Monday....(tomorrow).

Loop Completed 01.JPG