Building a "Black Light" PC - UV Light Questions

Hello,

I am in the process of building a creator/gaming desktop with a full custom water cooling loop.  My esthetic design is to have it look like a "hippy trippy" 1960s/1970s black light poster (or as close as possible).  My case is pink and is from Mars Gaming and most of the internal components are either white or I have purchased 3 triple fans from Asia Horse that are pink with RGB.  I also purchased a generic type of strimer that I may or may not wind up using.

I have been doing most of my shopping at my local Micro Center store (I love that place!  It beats the crap out of Best Buy which to me, seems to be doing a downward spiral).  I was there the other day to get some guidance on the directionality of my loop tubing and to purchase some extra fittings.  I discussed my vision for my build and the really excellent tech in their build area made a suggestion to me that I am starting to warm up to.  The person suggested that I could purchase some UV lighting for the build.  The case has 2 tempered glass panels so you would definitely see the UV lighting but at the time I was uncertain if it might be a bit "overkill" and instead of being "hippy trippy" it might make it look like a total LSD OD that is in serious need of a hit of Narcan!  That being said, can someone please educate me about UV LED lighting?  Can it make my build "glow like a black light poster"?  I don't have any sort of understanding about how to set up black lights properly, I have one poster that I am the original owner of since the late 70s/early to mid 80s (bought it through Columbia House Record & Tape Club - yeah, remember that company?  13 titles for 1 penny deal back then!)  that I STILL have NOT been able to get lit up properly....ROFL!

I am providing a pic of the build as it is so far so that you can see the "look" of it.

All comments greatfully (as opposed to Greatful Dead) appreciated!

PEACE & LOVE!  Remember those flowers for your hair!

Sincerley,

WonderWoman

PS>  I currently have pulled this apart to rearrance how/where the cooling loop will be installed.  Micro Center suggested I install the radiator in the back compartment and where you see the radiator I install the third pink RGB Asia Horse triple fan and mount the pump/reservoir on either the bottom triple fan or the verticle triple fan.  I am also going to be including my GPU in the loop so I ordered a block for it which should arrive on Saturday which is why you do not see my GPU card nor do you see my wiring.  I will also be getting an iCUE Commander Pro XT from Corsair....haven't purchased it yet (will be ordering it later today or tomorrow). 

image.jpeg

43 minutes ago, WonderWoman said:

Hello,

I am in the process of building a creator/gaming desktop with a full custom water cooling loop.  My esthetic design is to have it look like a "hippy trippy" 1960s/1970s black light poster (or as close as possible).  My case is pink and is from Mars Gaming and most of the internal components are either white or I have purchased 3 triple fans from Asia Horse that are pink with RGB.  I also purchased a generic type of strimer that I may or may not wind up using.

I have been doing most of my shopping at my local Micro Center store (I love that place!  It beats the crap out of Best Buy which to me, seems to be doing a downward spiral).  I was there the other day to get some guidance on the directionality of my loop tubing and to purchase some extra fittings.  I discussed my vision for my build and the really excellent tech in their build area made a suggestion to me that I am starting to warm up to.  The person suggested that I could purchase some UV lighting for the build.  The case has 2 tempered glass panels so you would definitely see the UV lighting but at the time I was uncertain if it might be a bit "overkill" and instead of being "hippy trippy" it might make it look like a total LSD OD that is in serious need of a hit of Narcan!  That being said, can someone please educate me about UV LED lighting?  Can it make my build "glow like a black light poster"?  I don't have any sort of understanding about how to set up black lights properly, I have one poster that I am the original owner of since the late 70s/early to mid 80s (bought it through Columbia House Record & Tape Club - yeah, remember that company?  13 titles for 1 penny deal back then!)  that I STILL have NOT been able to get lit up properly....ROFL!

I am providing a pic of the build as it is so far so that you can see the "look" of it.

All comments greatfully (as opposed to Greatful Dead) appreciated!

PEACE & LOVE!  Remember those flowers for your hair!

Sincerley,

WonderWoman

PS>  I currently have pulled this apart to rearrance how/where the cooling loop will be installed.  Micro Center suggested I install the radiator in the back compartment and where you see the radiator I install the third pink RGB Asia Horse triple fan and mount the pump/reservoir on either the bottom triple fan or the verticle triple fan.  I am also going to be including my GPU in the loop so I ordered a block for it which should arrive on Saturday which is why you do not see my GPU card nor do you see my wiring.  I will also be getting an iCUE Commander Pro XT from Corsair....haven't purchased it yet (will be ordering it later today or tomorrow). 

image.jpeg

Wondering if someone could create a lava lamp reservoir 

You're going to want to absolutely send it with the UV lighting.  Tempered glass will knock off a lot of your brightness and UV glow is way less than RGB lighting that is currently on your parts.  UV paint or UV sharpies can really help get some extra pop in areas you want it.  Bitspower used to make UV lights designed to go in a computer, but imo it is better to just go to a party store or Amazon and get a cheap UV light bar.  Also for bonus points the Cablemod Modmesh cables are UV reactive and look absolutely sick under UV light.

Embarrassing old video where I figured all of this out: Rave PC

3 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

You're going to want to absolutely send it with the UV lighting.  Tempered glass will knock off a lot of your brightness and UV glow is way less than RGB lighting that is currently on your parts.  UV paint or UV sharpies can really help get some extra pop in areas you want it.  Bitspower used to make UV lights designed to go in a computer, but imo it is better to just go to a party store or Amazon and get a cheap UV light bar.  Also for bonus points the Cablemod Modmesh cables are UV reactive and look absolutely sick under UV light.

Genuine question - for the 395-400nm UV that those LED UV bar lights expose, is it reasonable to worried about skin cancer? A constant source of UV reasonably close to the body...

5 hours ago, Flashers said:

Genuine question - for the 395-400nm UV that those LED UV bar lights expose, is it reasonable to worried about skin cancer? A constant source of UV reasonably close to the body...

No.

Glass is opaque to the wavelengths of UV that are most harmful. Even if it weren't (or some leaked out through cracks/vent holes in the case), the intensity of the UV light is a fraction of what's required to risk harm.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:06 PM, billorwill said:

Wondering if someone could create a lava lamp reservoir 

"RIGHT ON"!!!!  I'm "Stayin Alive" and "Play That Funky Music White Boy"......That would be an AWESOME IDEA!  Maybe I could find a mini USB lava lamp some where to mount inside the case if I have extra room?  If not, then maybe hang a disco ball outside the case...ROFL!

On 8/25/2023 at 9:24 PM, itchie said:

2 sticks of ram in single channel. super retro

I had brought the build to my Micro Center store and they pointed out I had the RAM mounted incorrectly.  I switched the positioning so I think now I should have it set up for dual channel.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:22 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

I looked at the Cablemod Modmesh cables and for the money I have already spent that is just pushing the cost a bit higher than I want to go especially since the cables will probably not really be that visible.  I did purchase a strimer though.  

Strimer from Amazon

I will be purchasing a Corsair Commander Core XT today.  Please see my separate update for where my build is at currently.

Ok, here's where I am currently.

I made a trip back to Micro Center but this time I brought the PC and my parts.  I wanted to actually have a person to bounce some ideas off of and show them my PC.  They made the following suggestions.

Instead of mounting the radiator in the front compartment switch it to mounting it in the back compartment and thread the fittings and tubing through the open panel area where it is mounted.

Install the third of the triple Asia Horse fans in the front compartment mounting it where the radiator had been mounted which will now be on the opposite side open panel area where the radiator is mounted in the back compartment.

If the available area on the top of the third triple fan is too small for the radiator to have the fittings & tubing fit then I have one other option, that being mount the radiator on the bottom of the case with the bottom/horizontal fan on top of it and I can then mount the third triple fan on the back compartment and the pump reservoir directly to the case inside the front compartment.  I am not in love with the aesthetics of that because it will make the case panel with it's ugly open panels show throwing off the aesthetics and be well, just plain ugly. 

I talked with a friend I have on SM and told him my dilemma with sourcing the proper "Ventus" version of the XG5 GPU cooler.  He has seen the pics of my build and found a Phanteks GPU block that has a nice look and the colors match and also is less expensive (but at least it is available).  I ordered it.  I will play around with the options I have been describing once I receive the GPU block which is due to arrive today.  I did find the actual Corsair Ventus GPU block available at an online seller I do not recognize.  Have any of you heard of this reseller?  If yes, any insites on how good or bad or legit they are?  Here's a link to the GPU:

performance-pcs Corsair XG5 Ventus GPU cooling block

I also have one other option for the GPU block.  The Micro Center store I shop at has an open box off brand GPU block that is visually similar to the Corsair XG5 Ventus for much less than the $119 that the Corsair XG5 Ventus will cost at Performance PCs.  Here's a link to that  Micro Center - Open Box Bits Power GPU Cooling Block

In short, on the GPU cooling block front I have discovered I have unexpected options which is nice.

This would mean I would have to mount the pump/reservoir on either the new vertical fan or on the horizontal fan that is mounted on the bottom of the case.  Mounting the pump/reservoir on the fans will cause a minor problem.  The triple fans do not have screw holes in the middle of the fan frames; they only have screw holes at the top and bottom.  The pump/reservoir gets mounted to a bracket which has 4 screw holes.  I said this problem is minor because I figured out that I can & probably will be able to substitute zip ties/tie waps instead of screws and instead of mounting the bracket to the fan I can mount/fasten the bracket to the case itself.  Because I am a bit "OCD"/nitpicky I had long ago ordered hot pink zip ties.......(how long has it been since I reminded everyone that I am a girl/geekette?  ROFL)

No pics for right now since the build is once again pulled apart.

-> Moved to Build Logs

@WonderWoman, please do add more pictures on process until finish.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have been watching some videos on my exact specific GPU. I have seen a few videos that show the card installed in a computer. I am beginning to rethink my decision on cablemod in at least for the GPU. I am attaching a picture here because I don’t know what the name of the cable is that I would be selecting on the cablemod site. Can someone please advise me what cables it would be. I am hoping I might be able to split the colors to be either pink, white and purple or maybe pink and purple or even pink and white and I would definitely get the mod mesh because the mod mesh according to their site is UV reactive, and I am really beginning to lean toward going with a UV strip in there also

IMG_1045.jpeg

I am as described on the verge of water cooling my GPU. I am providing a link again for convenience to the card that I have. I have a simple question. If I go the route of water cooling, will I lose the very pretty in Zotac branding that lights up in RGB on the side? Is that lighting feature wired into the fan assembly?

Update:

I have started wiring the system.  To do so I had to uninstall the following:

Rad

Fans (only 2 had to be removed - the fan mounted on the top inside is still in place)

2 "feet" (the bottom discs the case sits on) had to be removed to remove the bottom fan unit (talk about a pain in the "a$$" design for the case! LOL)

I am now trying to figure out the wiring of the 3 fan units and the Corsair Icue Commander Core XT.  This is where I am getting a bit confused.

Each fan unit comes with its own ARGB controller.  Each fan unit has two cables hard wired into them.  (pics provided).  Do I need to plug each ARGB connector for the fans into the MoBo AND the Commander Core or do I need to ONLY plug the ARGB connectors into the Commander Core?

I got lucky and found that someone had made a YT video on my EXACT AsiaHorse fans (well not EXACTLY my fans - the video showed the fans in white not my pink - but to be fair the video was made by a dude LOL).  They didn't go into exact details on the wiring (I am considering making my own video) so I posted some questions in the comments for the video.  I wasan't holding my breath on receiving a reply because the video was made about 1-2 years ago.  I was surprised and I received a quick response.  I was told that the fans can be chained together.  This leaves me with a question on that process (which I also posted my own reply question on the video), Do I plug the chained fans into the Commander Core or the MoBo?  Additionally, for the controller, how do I handle the SATA connector for each fan as each controller has its own SATA controller.  When chaining the contollers is one SATA connector capable of "chaining" the power through the chain to power all of the fans through the chain?

NOTES: 

I must wait until the last part of the build to install the fans and rad fittings & tubing because everything is going to be a tight fit due to the design of the case.

I was considering cable modding the GPU cable only (I already purchased/received a MoBo strimer) but the prices are a bit much for me since I wasn't certain which color combination I would want I would wind up having to purchase 2 which would make the bill about $77 so I just purchased a GPU strimer which will arrive tomorrow.

General question about the Commander Core XT - Is this device to be used in substitution for or in conjunction with the ARGB headers on the MoBo?

I have had a long hard think about including the GPU in the loop.  I am leaning towards NOT including it for a couple of reasons:

1)  I have learned that if I put a water block on it I would lose the aesthetic look with the RGB branding on the side because that is hard wired to the fan/cooling assembly built into the the GPU.  To me that would just be making the GPU "less pretty" (have I reminded people recently that I am a chick? LOL)

2)  This is an extreme secondary issue because it would be a long way down the road time wise.  If I include the GPU in the loop then it would potentially be a hassle to replace the card with a newer, more powerful one when the time comes.

3)  This is an extremely terciary reason, it would screw with the warranty on the card and any extended warranty I might have purchased for it as well.

So, all that being said those are my questions and current status for now.  I am providing current pics of the build and also pics of the fans and their connectors.

Pink Desktop Current Build 05.JPG

Pink Desktop Current Build 06.JPG

Pink Desktop Current Build 07.JPG

Pink Desktop Current Build 08.JPG

Pink Desktop Current Build 09.JPG

Pink Desktop Current Build 10.JPG

IMGPink Desktop Current Build 11.JPG

AsiaHorse Pink Fans.JPG

AsiaHorse Pink Fans 01.JPG

AsiaHorse Pink Fans Connectors 01.JPG

AsiaHorse Pink Fans Connectors 02.JPG

AsiaHorse Fan Controller 01.JPG

On 8/27/2023 at 8:04 PM, WonderWoman said:

I am as described on the verge of water cooling my GPU. I am providing a link again for convenience to the card that I have. I have a simple question. If I go the route of water cooling, will I lose the very pretty in Zotac branding that lights up in RGB on the side? Is that lighting feature wired into the fan assembly?

ya you will lose that as its part of the cooler. i guess with modding skills you can peal it off and re mount it some ware els and add more wire langeth to it... 🤷‍♂️

but ya you will lose it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Thank you for confirming that fact......I am disappointed about that.  The look of the card was the first thing that made me look at the tech specs for the GPU and I really think it is  "pretty" card.

I discovered I have to do things in a different order for the build as far as installation of different systems is concerned. I realized that with the fans and the radiator installed, I don’t have the room to thread the cabling through the different slots that are available to feed them from the back of the case to the front to do all of the motherboard connections. I had to uninstall the radiator and two out of three of the pink triple fans.

I have already started wiring some things. I’ve got the case panel controls wired up to the motherboard already, I have the PCI connectors plugged into the PSU for the GPU. I decided I didn’t want to go the route of spending money on custom cables because I couldn’t be sure which color combinations would work, better pink and white or pink and purple on the mod mesh, which are UV reactive; I therefore opted to buy a GPU ARGB strimer of the same brand that I purchased for the 24 pin motherboard connector from the PSU.

I have purchased a corsair iCue commander, core XT controller for the fans, and ARGB. I have run into a minor snag a resulting from connector incompatibility between the AsiaHorse pink, triple fans, and the iCue commander, core XT controller.  Apparently corsair uses unusual connectors for their devices, including the commander unit. I have heard a lot about the iCue software for their lighting and their fan controls and that is why I got the commander unit, unfortunately that unit and my fans are not compatible but I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and there are adapters out there. I went to my local Micro Center and brought my commander unit and one of my triple fans along with my GPU strimer in case I needed to get an extension for the lighting cable which I don’t know. Micro Center does not carry the adapters that would allow me to connect my three pink fans to the commander unit. 

I am going to be posting up close photos, showing the connectors from the fans and the commander unit along with links to the videos that I was watching that said, there are adapters available and essentially the videos. The titles are very similar in nature, with them, being how to get any type of a RGB to work with the commander units , the people in the video talk very fast and they don’t show enough close-ups and it’s hard to tell when they provide links to the items. They are recommending exactly which one in my specific case I need. I am hoping someone on here can help me figure out which specific adapters I need . Until I get these adapters, the only other way I have of connecting up my fans to do anything with the lighting is by connecting them to my motherboard and going through probably the bios, which more than likely has some sort of lighting controls in there, but they are not as detailed, nor do they provide as many wonderful options  as the corsair software, so I really want to avoid having to connect everything up to my motherboard at all costs and really want to give it to college try to connect the fans and strimers to the commander unit so that I can use corsairs software. Sticking with everything going through one interface will make synchronizing the lighting schemes easier to accomplish. I also have decided I want to add some UV lighting to the build. Very simple question, since I’m not going to need to synchronize those lights to any of the others. Can I just get any garden-variety generic UV lighting strip for computers off of any site like Amazon or whatever or do they have to be specific in someway?

I am hoping I get answers quickly on this because I am at a standstill until I can figure out what direction I have to go for  connecting the fans. Here are the pictures and the links as described. I will give the links first. 

How to get all your RGB working with CORSAIR iCUE - Tutorial

This second video and provided links in the description area below the video to where he is selling, the adapters that he is claiming will work to make non-corsair ARGB devices compatible with the corsair commander devices. I have taken a screenshot of one of the pictures on the eBay ad where he is selling the adapters and I am posting that picture here in Perry. I blew the picture up for easier visibility, when I did the screenshot. Can someone tell me if this is the adapter I need to purchase for the fans to make them compatible with the corsair commander unit?

HOW TO Get ANY aRGB Working With CORSAIR iCUE!! (sort of)... Let me show you how.

Pictures of connectors,the corsair commander and potential adapter:

IMG_1097.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

IMG_1092.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

IMG_1088.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1098.png

Questions....How many adapters will I need to purchase to get the 3 fans and the 2 ARGB Strimmers (MoBo & GPU) connected to the commander unit?  I know that I can "daisy chain" the fans together so I am guessing I do not need to purchase 3 adapters for the 3 fans since they will be chained together.  I am thinking I will need to purchase 1 adapter for the 3 daisy chained fans, and 2 adapters for the MoBo & GPU Strimmers?  But that leaves me with another question; the fans have two cables as you have seen i the pictures.  The cable with the single connector cannot be chained to the other fans, it isn't that type of connector, so does that now mean that I need to get more connectors?  And since the cables have different types of connectors do I need to get two different types of adapters?  If yes, what types and where?

this is the one you want

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

this is the one you want

So It sounds and looks like I will need 3 of those?

Will I also need this cable and if yes, how many do I need?

Corsair RGB to JST-SM Addressable RGB Adapter

Can you please help me interpret the link for the adapter I provided above to a link to the same item in the same store you recommended?  I like the fact that your store gives free shipping.  I tried copying the item named in the title of the eBay ad but the store you recommended doesn't take me directly to any specific matching adapter.  it only took me to a list of possible search criteria.

UGH....this is all so confusing...........I will probably get this computer built when we no longer use computers.

Ok now that takes care of the AsiaHorse Pink fans......I will post my questions/discussions about the MoBo & GPU strimers separately.

Ok, now for the MoBo & GPU strimmers.  This is what I have:

MoBo Strimer

GPU Strimer

Do I need any adapters for these to connect them both to the Commander unit?

I am providing pics (please don't mind the MoBo strimer being bunched up in a rubberband.  I need to get it bent to plug it into my MoBo after pulling it through from the back of the case.  Also you will see in the pics that there is a little baggie next to the MoBo strimer that has extra little pronged "thingies" (do not know what they are called).  What are they called?  What are they used for?  Both of the strimers came with those I just forgot to put the second baggie in the pic.

Strimer Pic 01.JPG

Strimer Pic 02.JPG

Strimer Pic 03.JPG

Strimer Pic 04.JPG

Strimer Pic 05.JPG

Strimer Pic 06.JPG

Ok, now I have a general question.  which type of connector is for fans and which type of connector is for the lighting?  I will need to know that in order to know which side of the Commander unit to plug the connectors into.

you need a splittor for rest of the non corsair stuff using that cable. i recommend a power hub with sata.

corsair argb controller guide.png

Thank you very much for that very helpful guide. I saved it to my files and I also printed it for reference.  I noticed one thing about your guide that I need to ask about. I don’t see my version of the commander unit which is the.iCue Commander Core XT.  Is there a reason that it was left off of your guide or is it similar to one of the items on that guide? If it is similar to one of the items on the guide which one and what is the finite difference between the one it is similar to an the XT unit that I have?

With so much going on needing to be wired and my needing to purchase additional parts can you help me put together a list of the additional items I will need to purchase such as any additional Lighting nodes (preferably corsair iCue compatible) and what adapters and how many of each I will need. I would still very definitely like to try to run the strimers through the corsair devices so that I can try and have an easy way to synchronize the lighting mode and colors. I very definitely do not want to make this thing look like a 1960s psychedelic bad acid trip!

I feel like I am spinning, like I am Diana Prince, turning into Wonder, Woman, I am so confused!

I just want to finally put together the order of what I need to purchase and get the items purchased and receive so I can move forward again.  I will be so happy when this is finished for a couple of reasons the first two because it will finally be done and to because I will have learned so much from this. I am a 56 year old woman that grew up in the 1970s and I was diagnosed in my kindergarten/1st grade years as having hyperactivity disorder, which in today’s world would also have a diagnosis of attention deficit, but they did not have that at that time as a diagnosis, nor did they have any way of treating it other than sending the child back to kindergarten and put her in psychological child play therapy. The only thing that came out of that child play therapy was we learned I am allergic to Mr. Bubbles!   My learning is done best by hands on because it translates better into my own mind and if I can work with my hands, I wind up remembering what I did and that is why I really wanted to challenge myself with this and I am glad I did, even though it’s a headache and a mess right now, when it is all done I will have learned so much!  The sooner I can get a list put together of what I need to purchase and actually make the purchase and receive the items the sooner I can move forward with this builder and get it done.

20 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

you need a splittor for rest of the non corsair stuff using that cable. i recommend a power hub with sata.

I am confused about the Commander unit and it's ports and why people are saying I don't have enough ports and will need something like a Lighting Node Core" or other similar type of device. As per the pic there are 6 ports on the long side that are labeled as "RGB HUB" and then a single port on the short side labeled as "RGB" which is next to the "temp 2" port. What are the differences between the "RGB" and "RGB HUB" ports?

CC Top View 01.JPG

CC Top View 02.JPG

Corsair ARGB Controllers Guide.png

4 hours ago, WonderWoman said:

I am confused about the Commander unit and it's ports and why people are saying I don't have enough ports and will need something like a Lighting Node Core" or other similar type of device. As per the pic there are 6 ports on the long side that are labeled as "RGB HUB" and then a single port on the short side labeled as "RGB" which is next to the "temp 2" port. What are the differences between the "RGB" and "RGB HUB" ports?

CC Top View 01.JPG

CC Top View 02.JPG

Corsair ARGB Controllers Guide.png

its a fuck up on corsair end... 😂

the rgb should be were it says argb hub and argb hub were it says rgb...

you dont need the hub as its built in. all core ln or comander have the hub built in well the older pro uses the hub.

Corsair Commander Core XT Faq and Diagrams. - CORSAIR iCUE - Corsair  Community

corsair comander pro.png

I have also been talking to a person on the Corsair forums and he said I would still need to get the additional hub....it has to do with the pink fans having more fans than the XT can handle because Corsair fans have far fewer fans.  Rather than paraphrasing what he said, this is the link to his explanation:

Why An Additional Lighting Hub Device Is Required