Can I use my old laptop screen as display for my gaming pc?

I have an old Hp Elitebook 840 G5, it has a Thunderbolt port and a docking port.
My desktop/gaming pc has a thunderbolt (and output hdmi port)

Can I somehow connect my desktop to my laptop and use the laptop as a display?
(I know the laptop hdmi port is an Output port only, but what about the thunderbolt port?)
Also would it be possible to do the same except using the laptop as a display for my Xbox Series S

11 minutes ago, NakedCyberProtect said:
I have an old Hp Elitebook 840 G5, it has a Thunderbolt port and a docking port.
My desktop/gaming pc has a thunderbolt (and output hdmi port)

Can I somehow connect my desktop to my laptop and use the laptop as a display?
(I know the laptop hdmi port is an Output port only, but what about the thunderbolt port?)
Also would it be possible to do the same except using the laptop as a display for my Xbox Series S

@Shimejii

There's a way to do it, you need to buy a special controller that can translate something like HDMI/DP/VGA/DVI to the ribbon cable.

Amazon.com: HDMI Controller Driver Board for 11.6'' 13.3'' 14'' 15.6'' 1920x1080 30 Pin eDP (not for 1366x768) LCD Screen : Electronics

An example, not necessarily a product that will work for you, but an example to potentially guide you in the right direction. You'd have to substantially modify the device to make it work, but its 'possible'.

The only devices that I've seen that support this natively (sometimes) are All-in-One PCs. Sometimes they have HDMI inputs that allow you to use the device as a monitor.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

16 minutes ago, Agall said:

@Shimejii

There's a way to do it, you need to buy a special controller that can translate something like HDMI/DP/VGA/DVI to the ribbon cable.

Amazon.com: HDMI Controller Driver Board for 11.6'' 13.3'' 14'' 15.6'' 1920x1080 30 Pin eDP (not for 1366x768) LCD Screen : Electronics

An example, not necessarily a product that will work for you, but an example to potentially guide you in the right direction. You'd have to substantially modify the device to make it work, but its 'possible'.

The only devices that I've seen that support this natively (sometimes) are All-in-One PCs. Sometimes they have HDMI inputs that allow you to use the device as a monitor.

LTT has a video about that 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

LTT has a video about that 

I first learned about this back in ~2014 when a friend made his own trifold triple monitor setup for the relatively small living quarters we had at the time. Yes, the trifold was made of cardboard and the displays were duct taped to it.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017