Why are all Monitors gaming monitors?!?

Sin Stalker

I am trying to find a good second monitor for my setup, as my previous just died on me. It is primarily for movies, YouTube, web searching when my main monitor has a game running, and discord.

I like the idea of a curved ultrawide monitor, since this is in the corner of my L shaped desk. Plus most of them have PBP, so I can easily use it for work when I bring my laptop home on the rare occasion.

But every single curved ultrawide I find has gaming in the title, has at least 100hz, freesync and VA panel. I don't need to spend extra on high refresh, latency or freesync. Ideally I want a nice high res IPS or something similar, but it doesn't seem to exist in my price range (~$250 give or take). Why the heck are all the monitors in this price range vn high refresh rate "gaming" monitors?

Try to leave "curved" out of the equation. If you are not using it for immersion, curved is not that meaningful.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

4 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

I am trying to find a good second monitor for my setup, as my previous just died on me. It is primarily for movies, YouTube, web searching when my main monitor has a game running, and discord.

I like the idea of a curved ultrawide monitor, since this is in the corner of my L shaped desk. Plus most of them have PBP, so I can easily use it for work when I bring my laptop home on the rare occasion.

But every single curved ultrawide I find has gaming in the title, has at least 100hz, freesync and VA panel. I don't need to spend extra on high refresh, latency or freesync. Ideally I want a nice high res IPS or something similar, but it doesn't seem to exist in my price range (~$250 give or take). Why the heck are all the monitors in this price range vn high refresh rate "gaming" monitors?

Ultrawide monitors are still technically a "niche" display formfactor.  As an owner of a predator X35 I can tell you that even after 10 years of them being a thing I still see compatibility issues on a daily basis.  Any content from a streaming service that isnt Netflix i will see Pillar AND Letterboxing because the apps only fullscreen 16:9 even if the content is 21:9.  There are also a slew of games that just straight up wont do 21:9 resolution, or support is so poorly is unusable.

Most people get Ultrawide displays because, when they are well supported and used to their fullest, they provide an immersive experience like no other.  So, given that their main seller is immersion and content consumption, it makes sense that manufacturers will cater to this audience.

Personally i dont know that i would want a second monitor to my left/right which is a Monitor and a half wide.  and then have a normal 16:9 panel as my "main" monitor.  Would feel like driving a car sideways.  That ultrawide wants to be, and should be, the star of the show in your setup IMO.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

At a certain point they don't save money by not having a higher refreshrate. I mean look at a 1080p 60hz monitor vs a 1080p 144hz monitor and you can see the increase in price isn't that big especially if the quality of panel are similar in terms of color performance and other metrics. Also keep in mind that VA panel ultrawide monitors are basically always going to be curved due to viewing angle restrictions of VA panels that ips panels don't have so you are way more likely to see curved VA panels than a curved ips panel. Also ips panels generally cost more than VA panels. That being said there are 60hz ultrawide monitors but those are generally high end ones that are used for color work and cost the same if not more than the high hz counter parts. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

At a certain point they don't save money by not having a higher refreshrate. I mean look at a 1080p 60hz monitor vs a 1080p 144hz monitor and you can see the increase in price isn't that big especially if the quality of panel are similar in terms of color performance and other metrics. Also keep in mind that VA panel ultrawide monitors are basically always going to be curved due to viewing angle restrictions of VA panels that ips panels don't have so you are way more likely to see curved VA panels than a curved ips panel. Also ips panels generally cost more than VA panels. That being said there are 60hz ultrawide monitors but those are generally high end ones that are used for color work and cost the same if not more than the high hz counter parts. 

If you are buying for content consumption of YT and movies like OP wants, the added refresh rate and color accuracy of IPS is surely a selling point.  Even if its branded as "gaming"

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

5 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

If you are buying for content consumption of YT and movies like OP wants, the added refresh rate and color accuracy of IPS is surely a selling point.  Even if its branded as "gaming"

Honestly if you are going for a content consumption monitor I would opt for a 4k monitor as most things are either 4k and 1080p which will look great on a 4k monitor. Also 4k monitors are generally designed with picture quality in mind compared to 1440p and 1080p. Not sure why op would want an ultrawide monitor for content consumption. 

I'm sorry, but what? Did you even look?

Also you'll find that none of thse monitors are marketed as gaming monitors, yet some of them feature FreeSync, VA or 100+ Hz. That's just how things go.

LG UltraWide 34WR50QC-B

LG UltraWide 34WP65CP-B

LG UltraWide 34WQ60C-B

LG UltraWide 35WN75CP-B

LG 35BN77CP-B

LG UltraWide 34BQ77QB-B

LG UltraWide 35WN75CP-W

LG UltraWide 34BQ77QC-B

LG UltraWide 34WP85CP-B

LG UltraWide 34WP88CP-B

AOC CU34P3CV

MSI PRO MP341CQDE

MSI PRO MP341CQ

MSI PRO MP341CQWDE

MSI PRO MP341CQW

iiyama ProLite XCB3494WQSN-B5

Acer CB2 CB342CUsemiphuzx

Samsung CJ791 (2023)

Samsung SA650

Lenovo ThinkVision T34w-30

Dell P3421W

Dell UltraSharp U3423WE

btw. Those are just the ones that came out this year, at 27+ inches and are curved. If I included every single one that came out in the past 5 years this list would go on forever....

Full screen compatibility isn't an issue, since this isn't the main monitor. I wouldn't be full screening any content or rarely. I'd have whatever video playing and to one side I'd have discord or chrome open. So black bars are not an issue. 

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I'm sorry, but what? Did you even look?

Also you'll find that none of thse monitors are marketed as gaming monitors, yet some of them feature FreeSync, VA or 100+ Hz. That's just how things go.

LG UltraWide 34WR50QC-B

LG UltraWide 34WP65CP-B

LG UltraWide 34WQ60C-B

LG UltraWide 35WN75CP-B

LG 35BN77CP-B

LG UltraWide 34BQ77QB-B

LG UltraWide 35WN75CP-W

LG UltraWide 34BQ77QC-B

LG UltraWide 34WP85CP-B

LG UltraWide 34WP88CP-B

AOC CU34P3CV

MSI PRO MP341CQDE

MSI PRO MP341CQ

MSI PRO MP341CQWDE

MSI PRO MP341CQW

iiyama ProLite XCB3494WQSN-B5

Acer CB2 CB342CUsemiphuzx

Samsung CJ791 (2023)

Samsung SA650

Lenovo ThinkVision T34w-30

Dell P3421W

Dell UltraSharp U3423WE

btw. Those are just the ones that came out this year, at 27+ inches and are curved. If I included every single one that came out in the past 5 years this list would go on forever....

I have been looking and I didn't say they didn't exist. I said they don't in my price range unless they are labeled as "gaming". Idk how posting a bunch of monitors that are well out of that price range, even on ebay, somehow says I am not looking?

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly if you are going for a content consumption monitor I would opt for a 4k monitor as most things are either 4k and 1080p which will look great on a 4k monitor. Also 4k monitors are generally designed with picture quality in mind compared to 1440p and 1080p. Not sure why op would want an ultrawide monitor for content consumption. 

A lot of films are shot in non 16:9, also known as anamorphic, aspect ratios.  32:9, 21:9, 2.38:9, among others, are all fairly common.  So you will see letterboxing (the black bars top and bottom) on countless films produced, dating back at least 20 years or more.  The Netflix app properly fills the display with whatever content. 

So for 16:9 content i have pillar boxes, but watching something shot in 21:9 fills the entire display with no pillar or letter boxing.  If i want to watch "The Expanse" for example on prime video, which is shot in 21:9, I have the letter boxing from the app outputting 16:9 only, and then pillar boxing on top of that. 

Imagine watching a video which can, and should, fill your entire display, but instead takes up 50% of the display in the middle and the rest is just black.  That is the experience.

My Predator X35 has 1100 Nits of HDR with over 500 dimming zones along with excellent color accuracy, when you watch the right content is a damn good time.  All Quiet on the Western Front is an amazing HDR showcase TBH.  So i wouldnt say that non 4K or 1080P monitors are bad for picture quality.  It very much depends.  For every good 16:9 monitor you can find and equal in non 16:9 just as well.

You are correct in that most apps will only output to 16:9 formats, but thats different than the format of the actual content itself.

Edit - The Expanse is a bad example it looks like I mis-remembered the aspect ratio,  Interstellar is a better example.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

4 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

I have been looking and I didn't say they didn't exist. I said they don't in my price range unless they are labeled as "gaming". Idk how posting a bunch of monitors that are well out of that price range, even on ebay, somehow says I am not looking?

isnt every monitor a gaming monitor?  In the same way that every monitor is a movie monitor.  In the same way that every monitor is a reading monitor.

Just because its marketed a certain way doesn't mean its utterly useless for every and anything else.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

14 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

isnt every monitor a gaming monitor?  In the same way that every monitor is a movie monitor.  In the same way that every monitor is a reading monitor.

Just because its marketed a certain way doesn't mean its utterly useless for every and anything else.

I mean based on that, then every knife is a surgical tool. 😆

My point is that all these "gaming" monitors list gaming related features for the panel, which I don't need or care for in this case. And anything that doesn't have those features seems to cost more, like with your provided list. I don't understand this. How can removing features increase the price? I expected to find monitors without the "gaming" features for less. Like the same monitor, but at 60hz rather than 144hz, and save $50+ but apparently it's the opposite. 🤷

Just now, Sin Stalker said:

My point is that all these "gaming" monitors list gaming related features for the panel, which I don't need or care for in this case. And anything that doesn't have those features seems to cost more, like with your provided list. I don't understand this. How can removing features increase the price? I expected to find monitors without the "gaming" features for less. Like the same monitor, but at 60hz rather than 144hz, and save $50+ but apparently it's the opposite. 🤷

Removing the roof off a car increases the price.  In your case the price increase would be for a similar reason to my example, it costs more when you dont sell as many.  "Gaming" branding sells in the same way that having a roof on your car sells.  Better.  So the "gaming" features are made in higher quantities and thus benefit from the economies of scale more.

Again tho "gaming monitor" is literally just branding.  The specs of the display is what is important and there are no such thing as "gaming" features.  Sure, some benefit the gaming use-case more than others.  But its not like you buy a "gaming" monitor and then it only runs at 120Hz in games.  No, it runs at that all the time (unless you change the settings).

In the context of monitors specfically i wouldnt say that there are any features which are "gaming".  You have higher refresh rates which will benefit you (to varrying degrees) in almost anything.

I also dont know why you would actively seek out a 60Hz monitor if there is a perfectly good 120Hz model available.  Even if you arent using it, if it costs more to have 60Hz it would seem like the smart buy is the 120Hz option.  After all you are getting more for less.

I think you are focusing a bit hard on the "gaming" branding, instead of the actual specs/features and whether the display itself does what you need it to.  If i made a perfect display for you but then branded it "for creators".  would it suddenly not appeal to you assuming you dont "create"?  Or would you look at the specs and go "yup this checks all the boxes".  Just buy whatever monitor has the features you want at a price that makes you happy and ignore the BS branding.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

40 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

No it would be like saying you cant drive to work in a pickup truck because its marketed as really good at towing things so clearly that is all it can be used for. Also like I said most monitors that are 60hz ultrawide are going to be high end business or color work oriented and tend to be expensive. I am. Not sure why you are so hung up on the gaming marketing when they are just monitors at the end of the day. 

41 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Also you are saying all knifes would be surgical tools is not even comparable because you are taking a generic thing and saying it can do something specialized which is the opposite of this situation. In this situation you would take something specialized in gaming and use it for other things. A proper comparison would be you can use a surgical knife to cut things outside of a surgical scenario which you could but again that's still a not so great comparison because gaming monitors aren't nearly as specialized as surgical equipment is. 

18 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also you are saying all knifes would be surgical tools is not even comparable because you are taking a generic thing and saying it can do something specialized which is the opposite of this situation. In this situation you would take something specialized in gaming and use it for other things. A proper comparison would be you can use a surgical knife to cut things outside of a surgical scenario which you could but again that's still a not so great comparison because gaming monitors aren't nearly as specialized as surgical equipment is. 

you mean you dont butter your toast with a scalpel?  Man you are missing out on something incredible.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

4 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

Your point is you want value monitor. But too value normally will not have good quality output and not nice for watching video. 

Those none gaming one, I normally won't get as I don't find the extra cost is value to it. I will rather get gaming series. 

Off course some very professional series is very accuracy color out from the box or higher percentage of color range coverage. But the thing is high end series gaming monitor also can have those features with higher refresh rate, this is the reason I don't buy those build for productivity professional series monitor. 

Depends on user, I am particular on higher quality monitor for watching movie, even Youtube. So I will go for very high end model with True HDR capability, specifically now only OLED display. Resolution from 1440p to 4K is fine. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

9 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I saw this and immediately went berzerk:

11 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

But every single curved ultrawide I find has gaming in the title

18 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

even the cheaper panels can do high refresh now, might as well call them gaming monitors.

In ur price range there's the pixio 277 IPS or VA, which just happens to be capable of 165hz and therefore a "gaming" monitor.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11