Minnesota is now the first state to require smartphone kill switches

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/259318961.html

As of June 1, 2015 smartphones sold in Minnesota will require special hardware or software that can disable the phone. This will remove all functionality except for 911 calls and it will prevent reactivation.

The law also bans retailers from paying cash for used devices.

How long until this is used as a denial of service attack? Is state-by-state regulation the right way to go about solving these problems? 

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I don't really understand how this will work if it's just one place at a time. I don't think phone manufacturers will include a kill switch on every phone just for a single state, So I guess It'll have to be software. 

Thats interesting, I want to see how it develops.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Damn.  Why did they ban cash for phones? Why? WHYYY??????

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

well, I sure am glad not be be in minnesota now!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The law states that it either has to be in hardware (unlikely, since it's only one state. The phone manufacturers likely wouldn't make a whole new version of all or most of their phones for such a relatively small market) or in software, via built in to the os, or available as a free downloadable app.

I think the free downloadable app is going to be the way this will be implemented, simply due to the ease of rolling the feature out to the masses. So you don't have to have it if you don't want it.

I'd just stop selling phones in Minnesota and let residents buy from out of state, fuck that noise just for one state.

Does Minnesota even contribute anything of usefulness to the rest of the USA or can we pretend they are crazies and kick them out of the union?

I'd just stop selling phones in Minnesota and let residents buy from out of state, fuck that noise just for one state.

Exactly.

This isn't a state like Texas or California that contributes a lot to the nation. I'd just as much tell the Minnesota governor to get lost and sell to the other 49 states. Once the revenue from that drops dramatically and citizens riot, this crap will end and be touted as a failed experiment.

This is basicly a censorship, bad move.

How so?..

Damn.  Why did they ban cash for phones? Why? WHYYY??????

You can still get a check or electronic transfer.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I think they are trying to lead by example, maybe if other states start to follow then phone manufacturers will build a hardware kill switch (kind of dumb considering you wouldn't be able to locate the phone). I really like the idea of not giving cash for used phones though, that means there WILL be a money trail when trying to track down a lost/stolen phone.

I like the measures they are taking, but the deciding factor will be how they are implemented.

I'm sure this will spread to the rest of the States eventually, so whenever it reaches Florida, I'm going to start importing phones. I refuse to buy a phone or any device with this BS killswitch.

COMIC SANS

Lol.I wonder if someone presses a button that activates that function on all phones...hmm.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It prevents reactivation aswell..... So when a hacker group breaks in, and they have broken in to many things, they can just shut down the entire mobile network basicly. Sounds a bit like Watch_dogs to me. Stupid move, too much risk.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I'm pretty sure if its an Android handset it'll be pretty easy for someone over at XDA to hack it out of the handset and prevent the kill switch from working.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

this law will fail hilariously if its only software haha.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz