What do we do now?

LinusTech
Just now, DU3RII said:

yeah sure, probably better for your mental health then to publish it on X while there's a crisis anyway mh? 

Yes but no, no but yes. As there's already a huge spotlight on LMG something like this will get a lot more attention than, say, doing it on a "normal" day

CPU: Intel Core i7 6790x | Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme X99 | Graphics Card: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance | | PSU: Cooler Master 1200W Platinum | Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 | Cooling: Corsair 360mmm AIO

1 minute ago, jaymansley said:

Yeah. It felt like they needed to add some cringe jokes because they think the majority of their audience are literal kids who can't handle heavy topics. It felt a bit condescending at times.

LTTStore plug was absolutely abhorrent and shameless, regardless if it was meant to be a joke or not.

joined 40 min ago and obv here just to spread hate, negativity and toxicity. you are a perfect reflection of what's wrong with the world lol.

T

1 minute ago, nyanbinary said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3pmtKoWcAAzxE9?format=jpg&name=large
Oh boy lol

They don't fu*king get it? Really? I'm probably the one tone deaf here, but... ewwww.... not even standing back Nick!

He wantent, but they decided to allow!

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

It seems clear to me that Linus has surrounded himself with very intelligent and competent people and it shouldn't have been a someone outside of his circle to bring this to his attention.

I'm don't like that his ethics were called into question.  There were personal mistakes, but that does not make him unethical.

I almost had an emotional response to the emotional response by unsubing, but the willingness of LMG, not just Linus, to make these necessary changes changed my mind.

Please keep the WAN show, it is my favorite weekly show.

Just now, nyanbinary said:

Oh boy lol

Humour in the right situation will help. Now it just comes across as making the apology feel insincere 

CPU: Intel Core i7 6790x | Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme X99 | Graphics Card: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance | | PSU: Cooler Master 1200W Platinum | Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 | Cooling: Corsair 360mmm AIO

3 minutes ago, nyanbinary said:

Oh boy lol

Arguably the most tone-deaf apology since the ukulele video... Like... How, and why are they like this?????

20 minutes ago, DU3RII said:

She could have spoken up long time ago and report it via official channels. Guess there's Jurisdiction in CA as well. Otherwise: not guilty until proven otherwise. Amber Heard. Kevin Spacey. You name it.

Why should someone apologise to Steve? For what? 

And being trashed by the fanboys mob like it's happening with GN video?

Sure, Of course.

Just now, jaymansley said:

Arguably the most tone-deaf apology since the ukulele video... Like... How, and why are they like this?????

Linus: "I am not going to respond emotionally to valid criticism."
Meanwhile also Linus:

1 minute ago, nyanbinary said:

Oh boy lol

"Is a little humor a bad thing?"

In bad taste, yes. I cannot believe that they (1) monitized the video, (2) shouted out Floatplane, (3) had an LTT store plug, and (4) joked about having a video sponsor. Then Linus has the absolute nerve to call it "a little humor". It's not funny. Grow the hell up.

2 minutes ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

This is what I took away as well, in addition to not redacting the cost like GN and Billet themselves did. I get the "community" aspect, but if Linus was real about no longer being emotional, he or they would have mentioned and apologized to GN directly as well. Clearly they're still mad about it, which is completely asinine.

Really? GN skewed their narrative to paint LMG in the worst possible light and then accused Linus of gaslighting the audience. Steve knew what he was doing and doesn't deserve anything imo.

Just now, RockerBug17 said:

They're absolutely right. There is nothing they can do to appease the masses, because the masses don't want to be appeased. They want to assert dominance.

2017 just called, they want their "T-Pose to Assert Dominance" meme back

Just now, TechSwagPimp1337 said:

In bad taste, yes. I cannot believe that they (1) monitized the video, (2) shouted out Floatplane, (3) had an LTT store plug, and (4) joked about having a video sponsor. Then Linus has the absolute nerve to call it "a little humor". It's not funny. Grow the hell up.

good that we have you, who decides what's funny and what's not funny for all of us.

12 minutes ago, nyanbinary said:

image.png.02bb6d38696579e61e2ce2c4ce412d34.png
I agree, plus Madison's Glassdoor review seems to match what she's saying in the Twitter/X thread.

She was still the worst hire from the beginning for Linus and LTT, it was semi-forced by fans ever since that ROG video and LTT fell for it due to the community wanting her hard-core and always asking.

I'm not saying everything she is saying is false but some things do get over exaggerated when you have an ex-employee upset, I see it all the time especially now with Google reviews and other business public reviews now being everywhere. 

She was decent at her job but you could tell from the beginning she wasn't going to be a fit just by the way the team acted towards her in videos, tik toks etc.

------

Now back to the whole Linus vs GN vs Billitt Vs everyone.

Its crazy, in the now leaked email they let Linus have the product now upset they weren't given money because Linus and them didn't want it and didn't like it?

Thats like getting a free item from the store and a few months later they find out you hated that free item and make you pay for it.

and Now GN burning some bridges to Linus and LTT about it which seems odd wasn't he just at LTT Expo? Yes he was doing his job but seems odd for a guy who is / was a close friend to LTT.

IDK all this just seems off, there are so many stories and different parts of it, I doubt we will get the full story but it just seems LTT is doing the correct thing and just stepping back for a bit and going to re do how they structure and do things.

For Billitt seems they will get there money.

For GN he got the story out, got more subscribers and more video views for ad venue.

Just now, TechSwagPimp1337 said:

I found it funny. If it wasn't there they would've been accused of being too corporate in their response. 

I think some of your guys criticisms are valid but other's are just letting their emotions get the best of them, and being aggressive and angry for no reason. Some of y'all have to grow up, take a couple deep breaths and if you're gonna discuss this situation, approach at least semi maturely??

Based on the quality of this video, I would assume it probably took them the day or longer to discuss, write, film and edit. If they didn't respond to your controversy of choice, chances are it hadn't come out yet when they were writing the video

Same with the Billet Labs pricing thing on the E-Mail, GN's second video was probably not out during production or somebody/groups of people within the team missed the memo regarding the pricing should be censored.

The stuff which Madison and her tweet included is unacceptable and needs to (and I expect will) be addressed in coming days.

The only reason it was not addressed during this video is most likely because it was already shot hours before her tweet came out.

Think about it guys, if this video came out 2 hours ago, at 4AM Canada time, maybe someone was pulling an all nighter working on the video 🤔

Overall, I think the whole team did a good job at responding to each controversy, and I'm glad team heads took account rather than just Linus. While some things like the whole screwdriver promo and LTT Store callouts can be argued against, I personally think they were in good fun, and weren't trying to actually push any traffic. (except for the screwdriver, that was an interesting move but nontheless)

PS: I'm not much of a fan of LMG as of late, however came back to eat some popcorn and check out the drama. I personally think they handled it well, but no, I'm not a Linus fanboy jumping to his defence ❤️ xoxo thanks for listening guyz

2 minutes ago, maplepants said:

Dang, another good example. Apologies given to rage mobs are always deemed to be insincere. The mob claims that a true, and sincere apology, is really all that's needed but it's never true.

In the book I mentioned, Ronson writes "the snowflake never considers itself responsible for the avalanche". I'm telling you right now, you're part of the avalanche. If you can't read the book, or you just want a shorter time commitment check out this talk by Jon. Or if you're really tight on time just check out the part about Justine Sacco

I to used to join in on these internet pile-ons, but Jon's book really made me reconsider. Especially because Sacco's one of the bashings I, to my everlasting shame, joined in on.

First of all, thank you for the recommendations. And no, I am not being sarcastic. I totally get your take. And I do not entirely disagree.

Secondly, even though it might seem so, I am definitely not part of a rage mob or any mob for that matter. I am simply here to express my opinions. 

If any, I feel regret for the situation Linus and LMG knowingly became part of. Do I feel disappointed, of course ! Do I feel a angry?... maybe a bit. But more than anything, I feel sad. I think it's ok for people to like, respect and grow attached to other famous people, whom they deem worthy of respect. It's the same principal, as I don't know, you like a personality from sports, from art, etc. And not only for their skill and talent, but for what they wholly represent and for what they fully stand for. 

And it's only natural I think to take a criticizing stance, when they stop being what they were, when they've grown to a certain level. What makes me even more disappointed, is that if GN would have not taken a stance, we would have not been having this discussion. Which, judging by Linus' latest statement and the way everything unfolded, makes me believe he is being disingenuous. Time will tell if I am right or wrong. Hopefully, the latter.

I am definitely not here, to throw mud and hurt people and jubilate at their misfortunes. I know first hand, what being kicked when your down means, and not getting a kind word from anybody. Not that my 2 cents matter, but as I stated in a previous comment, I think Linus, should take some time off, focus on anything else but LMG and come back at a later time, with a clear head. I'm 100% certain, that for various reasons, he is not able to think straight and it's humanly impossible to detach from the routine and from the avalanche of negativity. Hence, he won't be able to firstly come back to his old, better self, let alone to turn the tide. At least, this is what I believe. 

Of course, some of my comments, might have come out more harsh than I ever intended. But it's definitely not for the lack of caring and for the lack of empathy. I am not someone who rejoices at other's misfortunes and I do not take satisfaction in belittling people and dragging them through the mud. I only tried and will keep trying to bring something constructive to the table. My intentions are definitely not to spread gratuitous hatred.

2 minutes ago, Woddell said:

I found it funny. If it wasn't there they would've been accused of being too corporate in their response. 

Doing cringe humor is their brand identity, like DBrand's identity is being an asshole to people on the internet. LTT's corporate identity/personality is making jokes so ironically, even if the intention was to make the response less corporate, it just made it look more corporate.

I had to register to say this.
Linus, please for the love of god stop joking about "XXX job is safe for another day" it might be a joke between you and Colton but there is a lot of rumors floating around that people at LMG are being belittled and covertly and overtly threatened that their job is in danger.* It creates a validation that its actually true and it lends truths to what Madison has experienced.

The leaders sets the standard of what the work culture should be.

Its good that you guys are trying to fix the production side of it but I do hope you address or at least reach out to Madison, cause that is one thing we as community have not seen being addressed.

Anyone who has created something and who has followed its growth can see themselves in Linus' situation. Our "baby" is the best in the world. This closeness clouds our perception of the world's opinion of our "baby." I believe that this video puts the team on the right track and I really want them to remain united. As in a marriage, the union is in health and in sickness. And this too shall pass. I am against cancel culture and believe that everyone can change if they want to. For me, here I will continue to wait for new and better videos. May the force be with you!

I literally created an account just to be incredibly clear here:

This video, is not good enough. DO-BETTER.

AND GET RID OF THIS:

GET MERCH: https://lttstore.com ► GET EXCLUSIVE CONTENT ON FLOATPLANE: https://lmg.gg/lttfloatplane ► SPONSORS, AFFILIATES, AND PARTNERS: https://lmg.gg/partners ► EQUIPMENT WE USE TO FILM LTT: https://lmg.gg/LTTEquipment ► OUR WAN PODCAST GEAR: https://lmg.gg/wanset

Really pushing your stuff, on an apology video? Really?

And answer the Madison stuff. I wont be watching, listening, buying or other until you do. 

No Excuses. End of.

2 minutes ago, teewb said:

I had to register to say this.
Linus, please for the love of god stop joking about "XXX job is safe for another day" it might be a joke between you and Colton but there is a lot floating rumors around people at LMG being belittled and covertly and overtly threatening employees job. It creates a validation that its actually true and it lends truths about what Madison has experienced.

The leaders sets the standard of what the work culture should be.

Its good that you guys are trying to fix the production side of it but I do hope you address or at least reach out to Madison, cause that is one thing we as community have not seen being addressed.

You are not wrong. Its Toxic and it comes off as incredibly wrong.