Madison reveals experiences working at LMG

baK1
Message added by SansVarnic,

*03NOV2023: Topic is now locked for the time until the investigation results are released, will not be re-open prior.*

We the Moderation Team understand this is a hot topic. Many have their own views and opinions on this subject. We request that members keep comments on the topic and refrain from personal attacks and derailments. We are diligently working to keep this thread clean and civil. Please do your part and follow the expectations and rules of the forum.

Violators will of course receive action against their commentary if we feel you have crossed the line. This is not an action to censor or silence you, it is an action to remove and prevent violations of the forum rules and keep the forum clean and civil.

That said. If your comment was removed, likely it was due to the above. If you have an issue, take it up with the mods via a pm and we will discuss it with you.

Lastly please only report comments if they violate the forum rules.

Please do not report comments with only opposing opinions, it eats up the report system.

10 minutes ago, vorg.eth said:

Tbh, I hope you are faced with baseless public allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct from some clout chasing sociopath because you need a slap of reality. 

You do a massive disservice to anyone that has ever been assaulted by cheering for the weaponization of false allegations. 

I like how there isn't even sexual abuse allegations against any specific person and you are crying about clout chasing. 

7 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Meritocracy's never work because they starve the governing party of different view points. Like in politics, a meritocracy might end up being a government made up just lawyers, who never pass anything that might be of benefit to someone who isn't a lawyer. See what I mean?

When you have a company that has a very lop-sided gender balance, that isn't small, you are inevitably going to have situations where under-represented (eg gender, race) aspects get ignored, which results situations where the company continues to make gaffs, until something potentially fatal to the company happens.

Like look at the AI facial recognition tech. The reason it's so awful is because the the training data lacks the equal diversity necessary to not erase under-represented faces from being erased from the weights.

I pointed out the gender balance because gender balance is one of the easiest things to solve, simply hire, or create new positions to fix it. LMG could have a female host and a few female writers to do one segment and then slowly bring them into other content. If it doesn't work, then you keep trying until you find someone who does vibe well with everyone. 

Race balance is a lot harder to solve because the metro Vancouver area has few "black communities", they were displaced 50 years ago to build a freeway.  1.2% of the population. Where as Asian communities are 40%. But again, look at the team page, I'd say the race diversity could use some work, but it's a lot closer to the actual racial make up of Metro Vancouver, and better than some bigger businesses.

But again, I'm going to point out the hosts and writers are mostly white and that does not reflect the diversity of the Metro Vancouver. But it's less urgent to solve since the overall staff does.

There are companies that over-weight gender or race makeup, and it results in alienation of the under-represented groups, and potentially making the company unproductive during certain parts of the year (see Christmas - Hanukkah - Lunar/Chinese New Year) because too many people take the day/week off, and then you end up with communication problems from tasks being ignored.

The Madison issue, to me was that LMG hired her because she seemed like a good "fit" on camera. Maybe that wasn't the best idea. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe the next time LMG hires a woman for a writer or on-camera host role, they will recognize that the existing bro-culture that seems to exist is actually unproductively bad.

Gender and race quotas lead to lesser performance.  You hire the best person for the job, that applies for the job.  This is especially true in start-ups and businesses that rely on performance and profit, you need the best performer regardless of identity, there is no time or room for waste.

This kind of stuff is great in government type jobs, where it is known and expected that performance will be sub par, the job will take 10x as long, and get done 10x shittier, for 10x the cost.  Its unfortunate that is the case, but everyone knows it happens.  So you can virtue signal all day by having every gender, race, and identity equally represented in these fields.  When you want to get shit done, that all does out the window.  Elon cut Twitter's staff by what, more than 50%?  Who did he keep on?  A bunch of dudes, skewed pretty heavy toward Asians.  And somehow, it didn't collapse as the media said it would (as they are all still on it, non stop), because it turns out they kept the people who can actually do the job.

Tech is going to be more weighted toward men because men and women are different, and dudes like tech and tech jobs more.   Thems the breaks.  Lumberjacks, garbage men, engineers, the list goes on and on.  Men have more proclivity and interest in these fields.  You aren't going to get better results by ensuring 50% of lumberjacks are female for diversities sake.

I see some people here picking sides, and i feel the need to remind yall, we do not have the full picture.

All we have is her side, and the sides of some ex employees. Linus did make a statement to the verge, but its just a "please wait for out official response as we do an investigation"

Before you decide what hill you want to die on, maybe stop and wait for all sides to come forth, and then make your decision from there. This is a serious situation, and some twitchy reactions can be unessissarily damaging to either LTT or Madison.

That is all i have to say.

12 minutes ago, RatKnight said:

Who is the other ex-employee?

1) I have only seen Colin, and all he really said was that her story matches what he was told / heard... not that he actually experienced, or saw any of it.  I saw David liked her tweets... but that is basically showing support, and afaik he has said nothing.

2) That HR meeting sounded like just about every HR meeting I have ever sat in following an employee leaving and having an exit interview where they complained about something.  That was obviously a speech and training given to them to do by the outside HR firm following these complaints probably being given during an exit interview.  - I should note that is speculation, but that is basically a type of meeting I have had to sit through before (and sounded about the same) after an unhappy employee left.

David has you said. I took that as form of endorsement of her message.
Yeah an absolutely normal HR meeting, to (stated by Linus) to address "rumors" and let people know that stuff should be handled indoors since "we are a family" (not a direct quote), were a lot of people didn't even know that you could report anonymously, everyone is incentivized to talk do their "bully" and solve things out or talk to Linus/Yvonne... Cmon, is an "oh shit" meeting trying to do damage control and everyone knows.
More, how Linus stated that was "shocked" to hear such allegations if he literally held this meeting after the "incident"... 

Probably unrelated, but a lot of people were saying that she come up with this after the scandal and that it was sus, guess what? She didn't, Colin tweets prove that and this meeting does it too.  

This font is amazing.

7 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I doubt it. Their fans are the types in this thread calling her a liar and worse. 

Pretty sure at the time she worked there, HR was Yvonne. 

They cheer now, but as soon as it’s revealed she’s just an opportunist without an ethical bone in her body; they’ll adopt her. 

She’ll have no we’re else to go.  All the sociopaths end up in that bubble eventually. 

All these new accounts coming in here and trying to censor conversation, speculation, theories, questions, scenarios, points of view, etc... It's not an attack against Madison. Her posts are vague and unspecific, so people are going to try to fill in the blanks and guess what that could ultimately mean.

11 minutes ago, digitalscream said:

Incidentally, I'd have thought that the first person to ask in the investigation, after Colin and David, would be whoever recorded that meeting. They obviously did so for a reason, and that'll be a job for the third-party investigator if they're capable of keeping their sources anonymous (assuming the individual still works there).

If the 3rd party investigator had any integrity, they would attempt to interview every ex-employee.  If lets say the 3rd party isn't allowed to though, then it should be noted in their report as well.

There's actually a few specific ex-employees that come to mind that I think would need to be interviewed.

Max - Seems like she left on good terms, but the CSF video where she talks about not being re-imbursed at all for the manicures (when she was the hand model); that sort of thing needs to be investigated as it would lead credence to not following at least some standard practices

Female employee who had blasted LTT on twitter - I can't find the tweet, but I know it exists of an employee (maybe 4-6 years ago) on twitter...iirc there was some glaring things that would match Madison's events.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

9 minutes ago, vorg.eth said:

Tbh, I hope you are faced with baseless public allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct from some clout chasing sociopath because you need a slap of reality. 

You do a massive disservice to anyone that has ever been assaulted by cheering for the weaponization of false allegations. 

I totally agree with you! False allegation are a tough pill for persons who really received abuse. 

So if someone really knows something, has more information than me. Again, despite any personal convinction, no one in this thread knows any sh*t about what happened.

Therefore, i cannot call the accuser liar, or consider this company a bad place to work due to the twitter scroll Madison released. Any opinion I might have on the issue is completely pointless because (and many others here) don't know anything!

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

10 hours ago, imreloadin said:

image.png.a6a21084878361ff10ed6d857d0e403f.png

We're all *dying* to hear that classic "we're the victim" spin that Linus has been using so often as of late.

I also think it's hilarious how they got blasted for monetizing the apology video and have effectively done it with this one by pay-walling it behind their Floatplane subscription.

Is the same statement that was put out by LMG to the tech "press". You're not missing anything. 

2 minutes ago, Sasha2D said:

I like how there isn't even sexual abuse allegations against any specific person and you are crying about clout chasing. 

lmao. I like how you think that the generalized nature of the complaint is evidence she ISN’T clout chasing. 

36 minutes ago, Kisai said:

You can't make a policy with no experience as to why that policy needs to exist or any ability to identify what the policy is saying.

Like work for any big company, they will usually print out a half inch thick book of polices that most employees will just toss in the bottom drawer of their desk, unread. The company will have you sign something that says "Yes I read, and agree to this".

Here's a specific example from one place I worked.

So on TWO separate occasions, women were harassed by someone for dress code violations. So the manager, literately came to the person's desk with a tape measure. For one, the lady is just tall, and nothing came of it, but the lady herself was insulted and offended that the complaint was made. This is the kind of thing that happens when you have a policy in place that people use as TO harass people. In the other case, the lady came to work in what I'd call a "party dress" and left crying in tears.

Dress code is supposed to exist for YOUR SAFETY, and some professionalism reasons when meeting with clients. If your workplace has a "jeans friday" then there is no reason why every day can't be Jeans Friday. That means the dress code is BS. There is a difference between having dress code that says "you must wear clean clothing that at least comes to you knees and elbows, without any brands/logos"  and one that says "no skirts shorter than 24 inches", because the latter is absolutely targeting women for harassment.

I nearly got sacked once. Long story but myself and 8 other colleagues were on a training course at a third parties company. We were being trained on their products so we could train our own teams to maintain them. One of their directors looked into the training room and saw someone wearing shorts. A couple of days later all 8 of us were one by one asked to come in and told if we didn't tell them who was wearing the shorts that day we would be sacked. In the end none of us admitted to it, or said who it was because not one of us knew. We were all bought into a meeting and this time we had a union rep. We were told we had risked the contract and our company reputation. We were told this was gross misconduct and we would all be sacked if nobody owned up. Union rep was having none of it. Turned out what the other companies director saw was the window cleaner and not any of us. 

My point here is that there is always another story. It is so easy for people to go into defensive mode, throw accusations and go way over the top. It is never as black and white as it seems and I wonder if this is the case here. I also suspect Madison may have had beef, but is young and probably has never had to deal with many of the normal things that goes on in life, let alone the work place. I also suspect that over the last one and a half years, the facts have changed in her mind somewhat. Now I am not denigrating what may or may not have happened in any way. Really the only way forward here is for a full investigation and not trial by internet. 

Sad thing here is there are and will be no winners. Some in this thread want instant answers, but that is never going to happen. Others want to hate LMG or just Linus, others want to hate Madison. It really is a sad state of affairs.

Oh wow. A company full of young tech bros. It is COMPLETLEY impossible that they could be sexually inappropriate. 🤭 

55 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

can you link the other employee statements? i believe you I just want to update my friend who is also interested in this situation

I stumbled upon these this morning. I was rooting for LMG to get a kick in the butt but now I am praying none of these allegations are true. While I don't support what LTT has done, I don't hate them or wish any illwill. I suspect the third party won't find anything, but it doesn't look good either. My question is if work environment was/is so bad for women, I HIGHLY doubt Yvonne and other females would have been ok with it.  The whole thing stinks, and just like many things I bet the truth falls somewhere in the middle. 

1 minute ago, Ferkner said:

Is the same statement that was put out by LMG to the tech "press". You're not missing anything. 

I'm not sure why they decided to lock it on float plane.  Kinda odd.

3 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

Stop quoting me in an effort enforce your views on my opinion and I’ll stop stating them. I’m not interested in your virtue signaling. If you continue to quote me, I’ll continue to respond. The balls in your court to leave it alone. 

I'm quoting you because I'm responding to your words, not to anyone.

Again, as I said, I'm not looking for stating none of the two opinions, only stating facts. And IMVHO is quite pointless try to piss me you fill the urge to answer. I don't want to play the goat fight of who bash harder the opponent head. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

10 minutes ago, dbeckwith0211 said:

Sorry trying to get caught up. Where did you get this information?

...and...

The meeting is a re-post, it was posted in the sub about 6 months ago but was mostly ignored/down-voted like a lot of the stuff related to the Madison's departure. 

This font is amazing.

2 minutes ago, yoc said:

...and...

The meeting is a re-post, it was posted in the sub about 6 months ago but was mostly ignored/down-voted like a lot of the stuff related to the Madison's departure. 

But neither of these give any DEFINITIVE information.  It's all left to assumption.  

2 minutes ago, mMontana said:

I'm quoting you because I'm responding to your words, not to anyone.

Again, as I said, I'm not looking for stating none of the two opinions, only stating facts. And IMVHO is quite pointless try to piss me you fill the urge to answer. I don't want to play the goat fight of who bash harder the opponent head. 

Your quoting me because you think your opinion is more valid that mine. And because your ego won’t let you leave it alone. Sorry, real life doesn’t work like you want it to where you always get the last word. Again, balls in your court to leave it alone. 

2 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

If the 3rd party investigator had any integrity, they would attempt to interview every ex-employee.  If lets say the 3rd party isn't allowed to though, then it should be noted in their report as well.

There's actually a few specific ex-employees that come to mind that I think would need to be interviewed.

Max - Seems like she left on good terms, but the CSF video where she talks about not being re-imbursed at all for the manicures (when she was the hand model); that sort of thing needs to be investigated as it would lead credence to not following at least some standard practices

Female employee who had blasted LTT on twitter - I can't find the tweet, but I know it exists of an employee (maybe 4-6 years ago) on twitter...iirc there was some glaring things that would match Madison's events.

HR professionals are well aware that the account of ex-employees will be biased junk. 

A proper lawsuit would reveal all. And a judge could stop her tweetstorming. 

This is a typical case of a person trying to win in the eye of the public because they have no legal or moral basis for their position. 

That’s the Occam’s razor version of what happened and that’s the best guess we have until a legal truth is determined. 

It’s a shame these sick minded people are trying to destroy #MeToo through mutiny.  Similar to the occupy wallstreet movement being maliciously morphed into the freedom caucus. 

I bet Suop still worships JK Rowling. 

8 minutes ago, vorg.eth said:

I highly doubt it.

8 minutes ago, Sasha2D said:

Oh wow. A company full of young tech bros. It is COMPLETLEY impossible that they could be sexually inappropriate. 🤭 

The problem is you project a belief that it is the default. 

You are prejudiced and frankly muddying the conversation by blindly supporting the accuser; whom has provided no actual proof. 

Try to be better. 

3 minutes ago, vorg.eth said:

You are prejudiced and frankly muddying the conversation by blindly supporting the accuser; whom has provided no actual proof. 

Try to be better. 

The Techbros thing is definitely prejudiced.  I was gonna say the same but decided to keep my trap shut for once lol.

But as for Madison not having proof, as much as I am trying to be impartial, she has at least had other employees confirm some of her claims.  We dont know which claims but we know other past employees confirm.

1 hour ago, vorg.eth said:

Try to be better. 

Nah it seems plausible. 110 people in a startup that is mostly young tech bro gamers?  You just don't want to think of your le epic funny tech channel as a company that could be a negative work environment for women. 

<removed by staff>

2 minutes ago, vorg.eth said:

HR professionals are well aware that the account of ex-employees will be biased junk. 

A proper lawsuit would reveal all. And a judge could stop her tweetstorming. 

This is a typical case of a person trying to win in the eye of the public because they have no legal or moral basis for their position. 

That’s the Occam’s razor version of what happened and that’s the best guess we have until a legal truth is determined. 

It’s a shame these sick minded people are trying to destroy #MeToo through mutiny.  Similar to the occupy wallstreet movement being maliciously morphed into the freedom caucus. 

You are the reason why so many people have issues coming forward with sexual assault allegations.

Your response really smells of someone  who never has actually witnessed what happens when someone faces SH (or someone who always just says "they were joking").  If there was clear evidence what she said was false, then sure, BUT we don't know that.  Until the 3rd party really audits it, we won't have many answers in regards to who may or may not be in the right.

There are still a bunch of industries that essentially have a bunch of misogynistic people in it, and the tech sector is unfortunately one of them.

Do you know what is biased, current employees who know if they speak against their employee there is a chance the company folds/downsizes and they are out of a job.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

14 minutes ago, yoc said:

...and...

Does the leaked meeting even have an official date?
Because I can get a random audio from WhatsApp without context, say it's from another date and say "yeah, he told me that the day after that thing happened".

We're just taking at face value a random Reddit account, who says he's the alt of an account that was banned sitewide, who says he's a journalist with contact with people inside LTT, that released an excerpt of an audio, in which they are having a meeting at LTT discussing the normal steps to take on how to handle interpersonal drama.

We don't know if it's relating to Madison, if it was on the date the user says it was, we don't know the validity of it.

I'd take all info outside the video with a grain of salt.
What we hear is a boring meeting detailing the steps to take to solve interpersonal issues, and James doing a stupid joke.

I'd say we need to just wait for the investigation results and go from there