Need to Pass Serial to USB adapter to a Windows 95 or 98 Virtual Machine. Need some advice.

Hey Everone, 

I am currently working on a 2001 Kawasaki 1100 stx di JET SKI and I need to run some Diagnostic software that can communicate with the engine management module. 

Unfortunately, this software runs over a serial connection and does not run on Windows XP or newer. So my idea is to run Windows 98 or 95 in a Virtual Machine on a normal Windows 10 laptop and use a USB to serial adapter and pass it through to the virtual machine. Most of my questions are revolving around whether or not this is actually going to work as all of this that I have planned is totally theoretical and I cannot find any account of anyone actually doing this with a VM before. Here are my questions

When purchasing a Serial to USB adapter; Should I go with Prolific Chipset or FTDI Chipset?

I have heard mixed things about which chipset works better/ has better compatibility. on top of that, most of the things I have seen floating around on the internet are really old and likely out-of-date information by now. Anyone with any experience with these adapters would be helpful.

would it be better just to source a really old laptop with a serial port on it?

This seems like it might be a really solid option but then I realized that finding a laptop that old, that works, and that is for sale might be challenging.

My main concern with all of this is that I might get everything done right on the software side and the Engine Management Module might just be dead, if that's the case I am not sure how I would know for sure that everything is configured right, I don't exactly have a known working serial device at my disposal. 

Any and all input is welcome.

Edits: Formatting

I can't remember who has the best and most compliant USB to serial Adapters but I know some things expect exactly true serial and don't work with just any USB to Serial adapter. Used a few in the past without much problem.

My main concern is any passthrough interfering, would be best to pass through an entire USB controller to the VM. Or as you say get cheap super old laptop. 

Yeah, I don't think this thing uses "exact true serial" According to the wiring diagram only 3 poles are used on the port. ground, data transmit and data receive. In a perfect world, I think if I could pass it through as a serial port and not a USB device it will work, but that doesn't seem to work, according to most of the threads I have read.

It's still worth a shot to try though I guess, Kawasaki does sell a 700-dollar serial interface and updated software that promises to work with modern Windows but that's a stupid amount of money.

I think I just buy mine from Best buy? 

What VM software will you be using? 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Oracle Virtual Box is what I planned on using. unless someone has a better suggestion

7 minutes ago, Hutner said:

Kawasaki does sell a 700-dollar serial interface and updated software that promises to work with modern Windows but that's a stupid amount of money.

AAAAA heck no, super old laptop would be far better bet even if had to buy 3 of them 

Lol if you think that is bad they sell a CABLE! a dumb Serial to bs proprietary connector. 250 dollars. I was about to bite the bullet on a used one for 150 when I found the wiring diagram in the service manual for how it is supposed to be connected. I am really hoping they didn't leave anything out of the schematic that would prevent me from splicing a serial cable into this port with alligator clips because that is the current plan.

Yeah, also would try virtualbox first.

If not, my thoughts went to buying a thin client with some low frequency cpu. For example this one : https://www.ebay.com/itm/185832484762

VIA Eden 1 GHz processor

512 MB RAM (64 MB reserved for video) & 512 MB Flash

6 USB 2.0 ports

Secure USB compartment is ideal for protecting USB wireless and USB Flash

Legacy support includes parallel, serial, and PS/2 connections

Dual monitor support options (VGA plus DVI-D through optional adapter)

Doesn't include power supply, but it should be a very common 12v  barrel jack, either 2.1mm ID / 5.5mm OD  or 2.5mm ID / 5.5mm OD

Would that thin client be able to run Win98?

7 minutes ago, Hutner said:

Would that thin client be able to run Win98?

Probably 🤷‍♂️It is an x86 processor so should work.

I have done this with a VM before, just using whatever serial to USB cable the customer had lying around. So I can confirm it is possible but no idea which brand is better. You do not actually pass through the USB device to the VM, you pass the serial port through itself (e.g. COM1) so as long as the adapter works it shouldn't matter much which one it is.

15 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

I have done this with a VM before, just using whatever serial to USB cable the customer had lying around. So I can confirm it is possible but no idea which brand is better. You do not actually pass through the USB device to the VM, you pass the serial port through itself (e.g. COM1) so as long as the adapter works it shouldn't matter much which one it is.

That is helpful Thank you.