High amounts of security audits and computer slows to a crawl for about 2 seconds

I'm at a loss... 

Honestly, I don't know what's causing the issue and I'm reaching out to this forum to hopefully get some help. Basically, what's happening is that shortly after I boot up and log on to my computer, I get started either playing a video game, browsing the web or whatever then, regardless of what I'm doing, I will get 1-3 different instances of my computer bogging down to a crawl. This manifests itself as a 2 second window where I get:

• time stretched audio (if I'm doing something that involves audio)
  • everything is slow and laggy
  • extremely low framerate

Once the 2 seconds is over, my computer is responsive and fast again. This is extremely irritating for obvious reasons, the least of which being, it shouldn't be happening. 

Here is the best summary of the things I've tried. (I don't remember everything I've done since this has been going on for over a year now):

• Reinstalled windows approximately 3-4 times. 
  • ran "sfc /scannow" an unholy amount of times
  • ran several disk cleanups
  • ran virus scans from Kaspersky, BitDefender, Norton Power Eraser and SuperAntiSpyware
  • I did a memory dump of my computer and did a deep analysis of it by following this guide from PC Security Channel Is your PC hacked? RAM Forensics with Volatility - YouTube (all tasks and IP addresses seemed clean)
  • upgraded my harddrive
  • updated graphics drivers and made sure all drivers and chipsets were up to date
  • disabled any unnecessary startup programs and services as well as tasks in Task Scheduler
  • changed power management options in windows and in BIOS settings resulting in no effect                                   

I figured after wiping my computer multiple times, that surely would have cleared out any issues. To be clear, I have tried running Windows after a fresh install without going crazy on the task killing and whatnot and still have had the issue. The most I do after a fresh install before testing is update all the drivers and make sure windows is up to date. I've googled the ever-loving crap out of this issue and both Google and Microsoft are no help, always suggesting either sfc /scannow or some other basic troubleshooting step.

The best idea for a cause I've been able to come up with is that maybe it's the insanely high amounts of security audits going on in the background. I attached a screenshot to give an idea but it's like over 3000 audits in a tenth of a second. I know CPUs are fast these days but that still seems crazy to me.

Within the details of the security audits, it seems like it's checking something that has to do with my Live account and the email addresses associated with it. More pics below.

Any help would be appreciated. It's literally driving me insane.

high audit amount.png

securityaudit.png

securityaudit2.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey OP. Are you still having this issue? I have the exact same symptoms and my internet search brought me to this post. I may have found the cause but I need someone to confirm.

If you have RGB lighting on your mouse and/or keyboard, disable or turn brightness all the way down and see if that stops the security events.

If this happens to solve the issue for anyone please reply and I will explain what I think is going on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 6:44 PM, Kingsryche said:

Hey OP. Are you still having this issue? I have the exact same symptoms and my internet search brought me to this post. I may have found the cause but I need someone to confirm.

If you have RGB lighting on your mouse and/or keyboard, disable or turn brightness all the way down and see if that stops the security events.

If this happens to solve the issue for anyone please reply and I will explain what I think is going on.

Thanks for the reply! I definitely haven't tried that so it'll be worth a shot. I'll give an update later.

On 8/9/2023 at 1:23 AM, emosun said:

does it do it with the internet unplugged

I haven't tried that either, but I can definitely give it a go. Doing that wouldn't really point me in the direction of a root cause though. 

... we don't really have enough info, but it could be indeed something like a mouse or kb, anything that uses usb basically,  so list all usb devices that are in use currently (internal and external) 

or likewise try to unplug them to pinpoint the issue. 

also ram test couldn't hurt

full specs maybe too?

https://www.memtest86.com/

(follow instructions) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

ps: also would recommend to do a fresh windows install again and do not install any programs except the aforementioned memtest86 and Malwarebytes,  while also using windows defender additionally. 

because there's way to much going on software wise (Kaspersky,  really??) for my tastes.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 3 months later...
On 9/13/2023 at 7:41 AM, Mark Kaine said:

(Kaspersky,  really??)

I think you underestimate just how close I am to wits end.

I'll see about doing that. 

1 minute ago, DuchessOfDeli said:

I think you underestimate just how close I am to wits end.

I'll see about doing that. 

well i was actually serious,  its an absolute pos... would recommend using windows defender instead. 

hopefully that fixes it, good luck!  🙂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer