just want a fairly small phone with a good battery life

atavax

are there any phones that are like f it; we're going to put in a less powerful CPU but give you really good battery life?

Just created an account for this topic to tell you that Samsung M51 exists! Its kinda old by now, but it has a battery that can last multiple days on end, and it has an OK CPU. The camera is fairly bad tho, at least compared to current gens.

What's the point of a less powerful CPU? Who wants a phone that takes longer to load websites or even using the interface bc the CPU is weak for battery life? It's going to last forever bc it's so frustrating to use that you're never going to use it lol

Do you have some special need for it to last multiple days? I have an iPhone 11 from work that is 2.5 years old, battery life is reported at 97%, and I only charge it once a week. I've deleted every single app that I can, I use the embedded controls to prevent my company apps from accessing cellular data, and I never connect using wifi lol (f you IT group). I basically use it as a means to answer calls, texts, and email. I use the focus settings to disable the Teams notifications during the work day since I am sitting in front of the computer. Idk I'm not trying to fan boy or say buy an Apple... I just think what you're looking for exists if you configure the phone properly. CPUs can scale their usage and use significantly less power when background processes are disabled and the number of apps you have is minimal.

I will say I don't think you can do this with a Samsung phone. My previous work phone was an S8 (and then S10), and those junk boxes NEVER did what I told them. I disable certain things and it would instantly be re-enabled. Maybe it was the settings my office controls on the phones, but for whatever reason, the Apple phone seems to let me give my IT group the middle finger.

Without a budget you're not going to get much out of the post you've made.

You also haven't said what "really good battery life" is to you, or what you do most on your phone. Which will change the battery life immensely.

You also haven't said what a fairly small phone is to you.

40 minutes ago, Studio755 said:

That's a horrible website for battery life comparisons; GSMArena does a much better job.

12 minutes ago, johnt said:

What's the point of a less powerful CPU? Who wants a phone that takes longer to load websites or even using the interface bc the CPU is weak for battery life? It's going to last forever bc it's so frustrating to use that you're never going to use it lol

Do you have some special need for it to last multiple days? I have an iPhone 11 from work that is 2.5 years old, battery life is reported at 97%, and I only charge it once a week. I've deleted every single app that I can, I use the embedded controls to prevent my company apps from accessing cellular data, and I never connect using wifi lol (f you IT group). I basically use it as a means to answer calls, texts, and email. I use the focus settings to disable the Teams notifications during the work day since I am sitting in front of the computer. Idk I'm not trying to fan boy or say buy an Apple... I just think what you're looking for exists if you configure the phone properly. CPUs can scale their usage and use significantly less power when background processes are disabled and the number of apps you have is minimal.

I will say I don't think you can do this with a Samsung phone. My previous work phone was an S8 (and then S10), and those junk boxes NEVER did what I told them. I disable certain things and it would instantly be re-enabled. Maybe it was the settings my office controls on the phones, but for whatever reason, the Apple phone seems to let me give my IT group the middle finger.

That's a little extreme. If you drop town to a mid tier SoC, you're not going to have trouble loading web pages; they'll load at the same speed as they do on a flagship tier SoC. In day to day use, you won't even notice you're using a weaker SoC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

In day to day use, you won't even notice you're using a weaker SoC.

You notice as time goes on. I exclusive used "low power" mode on my iPhone 12 Pro Max since I got it back in 2020. Back then it didn't seem to matter, but now it's noticeable when I disable it (so using normal power mode). The interface is snappier, it's more responsive to my inputs, and web pages do load noticeably faster in safari. But previously I couldn't tell the difference. I suspect the OS updates had something to do with that, plus the "battery aging" per the claims of the fruit company. I suspect these issues would be even more exaggerated with an SoC that was "weak" to begin with.

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

Without a budget you're not going to get much out of the post you've made.

You also haven't said what "really good battery life" is to you, or what you do most on your phone. Which will change the battery life immensely.

You also haven't said what a fairly small phone is to you.

That's a horrible website for battery life comparisons; GSMArena does a much better job.

That's a little extreme. If you drop town to a mid tier SoC, you're not going to have trouble loading web pages; they'll load at the same speed as they do on a flagship tier SoC. In day to day use, you won't even notice you're using a weaker SoC.

budget is $1200; i don't mind paying a little bit of a premium, but don't want to bush one of those ridiculous super high end phones.

I currently have a pixel 5 phone, so something not much bigger than that with a noticeably longer battery life.

what I do with it is web browse, use discord, watch videos, use it for directions on how to get somewhere.

3 hours ago, atavax said:

budget is $1200; i don't mind paying a little bit of a premium, but don't want to bush one of those ridiculous super high end phones.

I currently have a pixel 5 phone, so something not much bigger than that with a noticeably longer battery life.

what I do with it is web browse, use discord, watch videos, use it for directions on how to get somewhere.

Pretty much your only option is the Zenfone 10.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, johnt said:

What's the point of a less powerful CPU? Who wants a phone that takes longer to load websites or even using the interface bc the CPU is weak for battery life?

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

Sony has great options, and you can use one of their devices from as far back as 2012 and unlock the bootloader, because their own website explains how to do it for each device.  You could use a small 4.3" Xperia Z compact (maybe) or 4.7" display Xperia compact Z1 foe a smaller device, put

https://lineageOS.org/

onto the device, and get the software up to date.  This could save you money buying a few years past device and help reduce electronic waste and the demand for new electronic devices.

If you want to speed up webpage loading, then don't load the 22 scripts /extra websites on most webpages, especially online businesses.

With a Chrome, Firefox or Edge addon like privacy badger from the EFF.org, or NoScript (select which websites / scripts do load) you can reduce webpage loading by over half!  Everyone who browses the web should give these addons a try, and, especially, they help prevent these tracking businesses from collecting data about your webpage visits across multiple websites.  It even works on Firefox mobile (and fennec from F-droid).

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 8/9/2023 at 10:43 AM, dizmo said:

Pretty much your only option is the Zenfone 10.

yeah, I was a bit hesitant of the zenfone 10 because I use Verizon and even the unlocked ones say they aren't compatible with Verizon. But after doing more research it sounds like the lack of CDMA support which is why it's not supposed to be compatible with Verizon is only an issue with Verizon's 3g; so if my area is using Verizon 4g, I should be fine?

i think my pixel 5's battery is about to die, less than an hour of web browsing usage and it's below 20%. So it's either risk it with the zenfone 10, suck it up with a bigger phone, like the pixel 7a; or try to replace my phone's battery which doesn't look particularly easy looking at a video on it.

4 hours ago, atavax said:

less than an hour of web browsing usage and it's below 20%

Consider just buying a new battery vs replacing the entire device for no logical reason.

Do not charge above 75-80% anymore and do not drain anywhere below 30%.  In 2008, Elon Musk says the ideal range of Lithium Ion is between 40-60% charge.

Use a weak 1w usb charging cable which will take over 7 hours to charge the device, it should be fine overnight.

Install Firefox, unless android chrome allows addons.  Alternatively, Fennec, in F-droid store has about:config which could help reduce battery drain.

Addons like privacy badger from the EFF.org will allow you to disable any domain on a webpage, allowing faster page loads, less network use, and less cpu processing power getting loaded, which track you across any other website also using that service.

NoScript is another great option.

Install duckduckgo app and in the settings, enable

app tracking protection

This will show you which apps are collecting data and attempting to upload it, so you can pick better apps.

Consider installing LineageOS onto the device as Pixel devices are notorious for allowing custom software and very easy bootloader unlock.  Google will know when you do this though, because they send data when you go through the process.  It is a bit unsettling.  But once you get LineageOS, you also won't have all the android and google tracking on your device eating up your network.  Google knows exactly when you turn on your wifi, and exactly when you stop using the device, LineageOS doesn't have any of that.

If you think I'm exagerating, O.K., go download

RethinkDNS

and watch the dns log.  DNS is whenever a program requests a domain name / website.  That website must go to an IP address.  So most network activity starts with a dns request.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.