ASUS Pro B660M-C D4-CSM PC Receiving power but not booting

evening
Go to solution Solved by MG2R,
1 hour ago, evening said:

it does not list beep codes anywhere. Perhaps it is online somewhere?

The forum provides 

according to your motherboard’s product page it also has an led debug feature called “q-led core” which should also give you some information. Check it out: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042678

asus has their own troubleshooting page for no post scenario. It lists both the a led and the beep codes for a buzzer. You can find it here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042632

good luck. I hope you figure it out. 

Hello all,

I am new to PC building and for some reason cannot get anything to show up on the screen upon booting up my PC. I have tried using two different monitors for testing this, first a Magnavox 19ME402V/F7 with a standard HDMI cable then second a Dell 1908FPT using an HDMI to VGA cable (the monitor doesn't have HDMI) both of which did not display anything upon turning the computer on. I have checked the CPU as well as the motherboard and there appears to be no damage or bent pins. The motherboard is definitely receiving power, as the currently plugged in fans begin spinning up normally and I have made sure that the HDMI cable is plugged into the GPU rather than the motherboard itself. Everything appears to have been plugged in and seated properly, though I am not fully sure as this is my first time doing any of this. The motherboard appears to have no form of troubleshooting LED/display, so I am rather stumped as to what the issue may be.

Please see the specs below and attached screenshot of my setup so far. If further information is needed, please let me know. Thank you very much for your time and support.test_setup.thumb.jpg.4ad470dfc51390dfa97259abf73d39de.jpg

Motherboard: ASUS Pro B660M-C D4-CSM (LGA 1700)

CPU: Intel Celeron G6900

GPU: 3080 ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX V2 OC 10GB GDDR6X LHR Video Card (Bought USED but appears to be working when booting the PC up, as the fans spin up and RGB turns on)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (Inserted into slots A2 and B2)

Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive

CPU Cooler: Peerless Assassin 120 SE (not currently installed but fans plugged into motherboard)

PSU: Corsair HX1200 (Bought USED but appears to be working properly, as the motherboard seems to properly receive power with no issues, random shutdowns, power offs, etc.)

Have looked over the below post and none of the steps have helped thus far.

pls help

Did you have the CPU cooler on when you were trying to boot it? If you did not, the CPU may be overheating before it can get to the BIOS screen.

Should be able to post without cooler. It ain’t great but it should be possible. 

you say you ran over all steps in the doc but you also say the gpu works because the fans are spinning. Did you actually test it in another PC?

further: in my experience, ram is often the culprit when there is not output. Do you have a second known good set to test with? 

have you tried a single stick in slot A1?

13 hours ago, Harmsway1283 said:

Did you have the CPU cooler on when you were trying to boot it? If you did not, the CPU may be overheating before it can get to the BIOS screen.

Hello Harmsway1283,

Thank you for your reply. I am using the Peerless Assassin 120 SE as my CPU cooler but I am currently leaving it off for the time being just in case I need to do anything with my CPU. The fans for the cooler are still plugged into the motherboard however. I am pretty sure the system would be able to reach the BIOS without overheating, as the system never turns itself off until I turn it off manually.

Hello MG2R,

Thank you for your response and the support.

7 hours ago, MG2R said:

Should be able to post without cooler. It ain’t great but it should be possible. 

I have the Peerless Assassin 120 SE as my cooler, it is not currently installed since I found it somewhat tedious to remove just in case I needed to do anything involving the CPU.

7 hours ago, MG2R said:

you say you ran over all steps in the doc but you also say the gpu works because the fans are spinning. Did you actually test it in another PC?

Unfortunately, I do not have another PC to test it in, as I am new to PC building and this is the first PC I'm building and have owned. All previous devices I've used were gaming laptops rather than PCs.

7 hours ago, MG2R said:

further: in my experience, ram is often the culprit when there is not output. Do you have a second known good set to test with? 

I have not tried either of these yet, thank you for the suggestions. I have tried a single stick but in slot A2. I also do not own a second set to test with, but will try to find and buy a set that is compatible with the motherboard. Once again, thank you for the suggestions, I will try these out and update you accordingly once tested.

According to intel your processor has a built in gpu. Try removing your dedicated gpu, and hooking up

your monitor to the motherboard directly. 

if that doesn’t work I’d try to find a pc motherboard speaker like these: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pc+speaker+motherboard&crid=2HTPA74M57LU2&sprefix=pc+speaker+mot%2Caps%2C203&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_14

probably your cheapest option to debug. It’ll give you an error code you can reference the motherboard manual for. 

try booting with only the cpu, single stick of ram attached. No gpu, drives, etc. Reseat the cpu and install that cooler. 

Hello, MG2R

Thank you again for your help, and thank you for the additional suggestions.

14 hours ago, MG2R said:

I bought the VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 from a Best Buy earlier so that I can confirm if I am seating the RAM correctly by the RGB turning on and also since the RAM is compatible based on ASUS' QVL seen here. I tried dual channel (A2 and B2 as suggested by the motherboard manual) as well as single channel (A1 as suggested by you as well as A2 as suggested by the motherboard manual) and while the RGB on the RAM did light up upon powering the PC, there was still no output on the monitor.

3 hours ago, MG2R said:

According to intel your processor has a built in gpu. Try removing your dedicated gpu, and hooking up

your monitor to the motherboard directly. 

I tried this as well with the new RAM, unfortunately no luck.

3 hours ago, MG2R said:

Interesting, I will definitely have to order one of these and try this, thank you for the suggestion. Upon looking at the motherboard manual, while it does mention being able to plug in a warning speaker for warning beeps, it does not list beep codes anywhere. Perhaps it is online somewhere?

1 hour ago, evening said:

it does not list beep codes anywhere. Perhaps it is online somewhere?

The forum provides 

according to your motherboard’s product page it also has an led debug feature called “q-led core” which should also give you some information. Check it out: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042678

asus has their own troubleshooting page for no post scenario. It lists both the a led and the beep codes for a buzzer. You can find it here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042632

3 hours ago, MG2R said:

The forum provides 

Hello MG2R,

Thanks again for your help. I had seen information about the Q-LED Core on ASUS' website but figured it was an on-board LED, so I figured perhaps it was a feature for a different ASUS motherboard similar to mine. However, I tried connected my PC case LED to the board and was able to use Q-LED Core to find there was a "No VGA" error. Instead of using the on-board HDMI port, I used the on-board VGA port and the monitor powered on and the pc posted with no further issues. I imagine I must need to enable something in the BIOS and/or install a driver for HDMI, I'll look more into it tomorrow.

This seemed like an odd solution to an odd problem since VGA isn't often used very much and also since I've never heard of such a thing being a problem, but I'm glad it was able to be resolved. Perhaps something along the lines of "if your motherboard has VGA, try using the onboard VGA" should be added to your no POST or power up post, but I would imagine this isn't a super common problem so of course it is up to you. Thank you once again for your support and patience, I greatly appreciate it.