Recommendations for first 3D filament printer

lfk

I'm about to purchase my first 3D printer.  I don't like the fiddling with resin printers as a first printer so going with filament.

Ideally it would be at least medium quality prints and not more than a couple hundred dollars.  I'll spend more when I'm more confident in their use.

Any recommendations?

I'm by no means a 3D printing expert (I've only done maybe 15-20 lifetime prints), but I watched the short circuit video on the Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro, and if I was in the market for a new printer, I'd probably look seriously at that one.

On 8/7/2023 at 3:00 AM, ignorantForager said:

I'm by no means a 3D printing expert (I've only done maybe 15-20 lifetime prints), but I watched the short circuit video on the Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro, and if I was in the market for a new printer, I'd probably look seriously at that one.

Looks good but too expensive.  Australia slaps that many taxes something cheap in one country becomes quite expensive.

The Creality Ender 3 or one of its variants is usually a good starter printer. Stock print quality is good, but I had some weird issues with the stock Bowden tube a while back that caused random underextrusion. That issue doesn't seem to be very common in Ender 3s and I was able to fix it by switching to a direct drive extruder.

I've had that Ender 3 for 5 years now and I'm happy to say it's still going strong.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

17 hours ago, dcgreen2k said:

The Creality Ender 3

as a Creality Ender Pro 3 user, I second this. Really good for intro to printing. I already see things I would like to upgrade and if I were to get another printer I'd get one that's a little more expensive. However, these things are often on sale and are great starters.