Is this normal behavior for a 13700k? (Thermal throttling)

I just built a new system but my CPU is thermal throttling.

• i7 13700k with a Noctua NH-D15

• ASUS Z790P Prime Wifi

• Gskill DDR5 6000 32 gb

• Lian Li Lancool 216 (2 front and 2 bottom intake, back exhaust)

• Gigabyte 4070ti

The CPU hits 100C when running cinebench or prime95. Then it throttles and temps hang around 90-99C. Cinebench score is good (30K). I tried undervolting, but only -0.04 offset is stable and it still thermal throttles. The undervolt is marginally better, about 2-3C. I tried setting PL1/PL2 to intel spec. This solves the thermal throttle but kills my cinebench score (25k). I installed a contact frame (thermalright) but it made no difference in temps. My idle temps are fine (CPU package mid 30s). I have reseated and reapplied thermal paste to the cooler.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? I read that these CPUs are designed to run hot now.

41 minutes ago, rothbardfreedom said:
  • i7 13700k with a Noctua NH-D15

• ASUS Z790P Prime Wifi

• Gskill DDR5 6000 32 gb

The Micro Center combo I'm assuming?

Anyway, yeah it does seem like your chip is behaving as expected. I've seen some better results, but that mostly requires an AIO or even a custom loop in addition to the contact frames. These chips do run rather hot under load, but as long as the scores seem fine I'd be happy to run it. 

From what I've seen with my own chip, if you really want to lower temperatures it might be worth trying to setup a full manual overclock. You can usually get better voltage regulation dialing in LLC and just doing a static/adaptive voltage instead, leading to a lower stable load voltage and therefore lower temps. 

55 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The Micro Center combo I'm assuming?

Anyway, yeah it does seem like your chip is behaving as expected. I've seen some better results, but that mostly requires an AIO or even a custom loop in addition to the contact frames. These chips do run rather hot under load, but as long as the scores seem fine I'd be happy to run it. 

From what I've seen with my own chip, if you really want to lower temperatures it might be worth trying to setup a full manual overclock. You can usually get better voltage regulation dialing in LLC and just doing a static/adaptive voltage instead, leading to a lower stable load voltage and therefore lower temps. 

Yup Microcenter combo. 

The most intense thing I do is gaming, where my temps haven't gone over 70C yet so I'm pretty happy overall. Just wanted to make sure the benchmark/stress test outcome was normal. I'm kind of surprised the contact frame doesn't seem to have done anything, but oh well.

I would prefer not to go full manual.

Thanks for your response.

11 minutes ago, rothbardfreedom said:

I'm kind of surprised the contact frame doesn't seem to have done anything, but oh well.

It does vary to some degree the board itself how much of a difference it makes, but it's usually more effective on 12th gen than 13th gen due to 13th gen having a harder IHS that doesn't bend as much, and it's more effective with AIO/water blocks as they have much flatter cold plates than their convex air cooler counterparts. Still surprised it did nothing, but I wouldn't necessarily expect it to do much (3-4C as opposed to 6-8C with water cooling). 

1 hour ago, rothbardfreedom said:

I tried setting PL1/PL2 to intel spec.

By the score I will guess you set the PL2 to expire after a minute or so, but Intel spec I believe is infinite PL2 for K CPUs. Anyway I would probably lower the PL2 to about 160~180W, as that should keep the temperatures in check while being almost as fast as stock even in all-core workloads. You can also set the PL1 to 180W and PL2 to 253W, and make it drop to PL1 after a minute, that should keep short all-core loads as fast as stock, while keeping it a bit more controlled in longer ones.

19 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

By the score I will guess you set the PL2 to expire after a minute or so, but Intel spec I believe is infinite PL2 for K CPUs. Anyway I would probably lower the PL2 to about 160~180W, as that should keep the temperatures in check while being almost as fast as stock even in all-core workloads. You can also set the PL1 to 180W and PL2 to 253W, and make it drop to PL1 after a minute, that should keep short all-core loads as fast as stock, while keeping it a bit more controlled in longer ones.

Are you referring to the tau setting? I didn't change that. I only set PL1 to 125 and PL2 to 253. 

I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.