Why Are Hard Drives Capacity Less Than Advertised?

geokilla
Go to solution Solved by tikker,

Was it this Techquickie perhaps?

It is misuse of prefixes. Giga is the SI prefix defined for the decimal system, meaning "a billion" or 10 raised to the 9th power. If you report that number in the binary system then it appears lower, because you are no longer reporting actual gigabytes, but a base 2 equivalent. Note that it is the same number, just represented differently. 1000 gigabyte is 931 gibibyte. The confusion starts when OSes, for example, start reporting it as 931 gigabyte, since it is technically the wrong prefix.

I remember LTT did a video on this but I forgot what it's called. May someone share it? Want to use it to explain to my friends.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

Windows measures in Tebibytes, not Terabytes - if that is what you are referencing 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Don't remember there ever being a video on it, but the short answer is a difference in how Gigabytes are defines. Hard drive vendors use the decimal definition of a Gigabyte (10^9 bytes), while Microsoft and a lot of other software will use the binary definition of a Gigabyte (2^30 bytes). Due to the difference in definitions, software under reports capacity. 

To ease confusion, the binary definition has been renamed to Gibibytes, Mebibytes, Tebibytes, etc., though Microsoft and most other people still mislabel which one they're talking about. 

14 minutes ago, geokilla said:

I remember LTT did a video on this but I forgot what it's called. May someone share it? Want to use it to explain to my friends.

Windows reserves space for the OS

It is misuse of prefixes. Giga is the SI prefix defined for the decimal system, meaning "a billion" or 10 raised to the 9th power. If you report that number in the binary system then it appears lower, because you are no longer reporting actual gigabytes, but a base 2 equivalent. Note that it is the same number, just represented differently. 1000 gigabyte is 931 gibibyte. The confusion starts when OSes, for example, start reporting it as 931 gigabyte, since it is technically the wrong prefix.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

13 minutes ago, tikker said:

That's the one! Thanks!

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

Windows measures in Tebibytes, not Terabytes - if that is what you are referencing 

The confusing part is they ended up terming "Tebibytes" after decades where 99% (everything except hard drives) listed as Terabytes.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I wish this would be rectified from drive and OS manufacturers though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |