wifi range extenders question

Zohan2000

looking at extending wifi to under the house since wifi is really spotty there but no idea where to start looking, the modem/router im using is the tp link archer vr2100v and its got a thing called onemesh so im guessing its easier to get something from them, was hoping to get something that connects with an ethernet cord to an unmanaged switch (tp link tl-sg1005d) to keep things clean and gives the extender a more stable connection, any tips or advice here is welcomed, thanks

4 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

looking at extending wifi to under the house since wifi is really spotty there but no idea where to start looking, the modem/router im using is the tp link archer vr2100v and its got a thing called onemesh so im guessing its easier to get something from them, was hoping to get something that connects with an ethernet cord to an unmanaged switch (tp link tl-sg1005d) to keep things clean and gives the extender a more stable connection, any tips or advice here is welcomed, thanks

I understand what you’re asking, but “wifi range extenders” mean something different than what you are proposing. Range extenders use WiFi to extend WiFi… A very poor and dated solution.

Since you have an ethernet run, all you need is an access point (AP) or you can convert an existing wireless router’s function to AP mode.

5 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

I understand what you’re asking, but “wifi range extenders” mean something different than what you are proposing. Range extenders use WiFi to extend WiFi… A very poor and dated solution.

Since you have an ethernet run, all you need is an access point (AP) or you can convert an existing wireless router’s function to AP mode.

is a mesh network different? mainly want the device to connect with an ethernet cable to get its wifi

1 hour ago, Zohan2000 said:

is a mesh network different? mainly want the device to connect with an ethernet cable to get its wifi

In the true sense of mesh, nodes communicate with a base station and clients wirelessly. Some mesh systems can run in AP mode with a wired backhaul, but that would be an AP with extra steps and more expense.

Read up.

I have the 3 of the Deco X20's in my large house.  One per floor with wired backhaul, I have a separate router so they are being used as AP's only.  They work very well, they also support wireless backhaul, so you can daisy chain them together wirelessly if you don't have network cables run in the house. 

I strongly recommend you avoid using wireless extenders.  Your devices (like a phone) won't switch between them seamlessly and it becomes a huge headache, i tried this in my old house trying to get wifi to my shed.  Once a device picks one of the AP's, it will not switch to the stronger signal until the other one is completely out of range.  The "mesh" network will switch the device for you seamlessly.. I can walk around my house and watch my phone jump between the APs in the Deco app.

basically want the main router/modem to ethernet cord to my room with an unmanaged switch and have another ethernet cord go under the house and plug into the device that gives out wifi and all use the same internet and switch between the connections, if i buy the tp link ac750 and connect it with an ethernet cord, would that work? or do i have to get something completely different?

• 2 weeks later...

im still at a lost at what to get lol, my brain is just bleh on this subject

On 7/31/2023 at 2:04 AM, Zohan2000 said:

basically want the main router/modem to ethernet cord to my room with an unmanaged switch and have another ethernet cord go under the house and plug into the device that gives out wifi and all use the same internet and switch between the connections, if i buy the tp link ac750 and connect it with an ethernet cord, would that work? or do i have to get something completely different?

Look for access points and get one of those.

TP-Link has a few I believe that are pretty easy to setup but I could be wrong.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

20 hours ago, Lurick said:

Look for access points and get one of those.

TP-Link has a few I believe that are pretty easy to setup but I could be wrong.

and that would have the same name and automatic switching between the 2 devices? the onemesh thing thats on tplink's devices makes it look easy but doesnt use an ethernet cable for its connection

46 minutes ago, Zohan2000 said:

and that would have the same name and automatic switching between the 2 devices? the onemesh thing thats on tplink's devices makes it look easy but doesnt use an ethernet cable for its connection

Ah, if you want seamless roaming then you want an AP with a controller that can handle that or a mesh system as suggested earlier then.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 8/10/2023 at 8:11 PM, Lurick said:

Ah, if you want seamless roaming then you want an AP with a controller that can handle that or a mesh system as suggested earlier then.

thats what the tplink range extenders offer as well as some of their other products but it seems like ill have to change my entire networking if i want the mesh device to be connected with an ethernet cord instead of using wifi to extend