It's started - Youtube 1080p Premium Enhanced Bitrate

First time I've seen or heard of this but I was just watching a video and noticed it was kind of blurry, and went to check if it was on it's highest setting.

Turns out it was on 1080p, but still didn't look good, but I noticed a new one, a 1080p Premium.

Clicking on it obviously prompts you to sign up for YT Premium.

But how much are we willing to bet that YT just uses an upscaled 720p version for the new 1080p non premium or something similar?

It would be too easy to rebrand 1080p to 1080p premium and just upscale lower res content to the new 1080p regular. I wouldn't put it past them..\

DJAGu67.png

EDIT: How long before they remove 1080p for regular users?

46 minutes ago, Aluminumhaste said:

First time I've seen or heard of this but I was just watching a video and noticed it was kind of blurry, and went to check if it was on it's highest setting.

Turns out it was on 1080p, but still didn't look good, but I noticed a new one, a 1080p Premium.

Try watching the original (at the same resolution):

Pause when he says ~ "OMG".

Keep in mind that lighting conditions are not ideal and it was filmed with a GoPro or something like that.
The sh**ty Auto Review video @ 1080p:
image.thumb.png.060b36bfb9cb669920365327d5e9a45f.png
Original Koenigsegg @ 1080p:

image.thumb.png.74e1a6640dadd9929894863c056d5028.png

A lot less blurry/blocky right?

That is what happens when you re-encode (someone else's) videos... especially if done by an amateur,
like these "Auto Review" clowns seem to be, I could hardly stand the AI/TTS narration.
So nah, I know this wasn't done by YT (at least for this video).

57 minutes ago, Aluminumhaste said:

But how much are we willing to bet that YT just uses an upscaled 720p version for the new 1080p non premium or something similar?

Why would they complicate things like that...
Lower bitrate = lesser quality = smaller files = less bandwidth.
No need for extra steps.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Really, is everybody going to make the same thread, with the same prediction, every time they happen to notice this for the first time?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

54 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Really, is everybody going to make the same thread, with the same prediction, every time they happen to notice this for the first time?

To be fair I don't think many "tech YouTubers" have directly addressed this so I'm not surprised this is catching people off guard. 

Do you really expect people to use the forum search function? Trust me, no one does. Which is why we have duplicate posts in the news section all the time. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I'm on youtube constantly all day and this is the first time I saw this feature, glanced at the first page of the forum and didn't see it posted.

Sorry.

On 30.07.2023 at 08:00, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Szczerze mówiąc, nie sądzę, aby wielu „technologicznych YouTuberów” bezpośrednio się tym zajęło, więc nie dziwię się, że to zaskakuje ludzi. 

Czy naprawdę oczekujesz, że ludzie będą korzystać z funkcji wyszukiwania na forum? Zaufaj mi, nikt tego nie robi. Dlatego cały czas mamy zduplikowane posty w sekcji aktualności. 

On 30.07.2023 at 07:05, Avocado Diaboli said:

Naprawdę, czy wszyscy będą tworzyć ten sam wątek, z tą samą prognozą, za każdym razem, gdy zauważą to po raz pierwszy?

Yes, because everyone wants to publicize this topic. I didn't know other people posted this on this forum.