Server Rack Placement (Bank Vault)?

LynxError

I have 2 racks of computers mostly just to play with and so on.... here is my question..... and would love the response.... just bought a new home, its an old bank built in 1900 about 6500sf, it has 2 vaults... 1 in the basement and 1 on the 1st floor, due to the layout i want to keep the bulk of my racks out of site and somewhere due to the noise...  so I was thinking the basement vault it has 2 foot concrete walls, would it be bad to put them in the basement??? or even the old vault? the basement is a little damp I have a small dehumidifier running down there and it sits about 43%m 2nd option in the 2nd floor and build a room, just wanted the community feedback pros and cons of using a basement of a 1900 building.

Instal a ventilation system so humidity stays low and also temps stay alright.

That or well a dehumidifier that goes into a sink.

For your owm health this would also just be a flat out good idea so you avoid invisible mold 😛

basement vault is right next to the HVAC system, the dehumidifier currently drains into the sump-pump

From what I've seen 40% - 50% is generally considered optimal, so 43% humidity should be fine.

Is there sufficient airflow through the space to handle the anticipated heat generation?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

IF i place it in the vault its 2 foot thick, 6in then steel plate then repeat and so on..... so i can make (1) or (2) quarter size holes but that's about it, i would say the vault has NO air movement in it, and cant run cables/vent out the door

Ventilation, cable management in the vault.

Sounds dope, make a video about it 🙂

edit: was too late. No vault build then 😞

4 minutes ago, rawElder said:

Ventilation, cable management in the vault.

Sounds dope, make a video about it 🙂

edit: was too late. No vault build then 😞

was thinking fiber, in/out of the vault w/ 60amp power feed,

PXL_20230715_203209640.jpg

5 minutes ago, LynxError said:

was thinking fiber, in/out of the vault w/ 60amp power feed,

PXL_20230715_203209640.jpg

The vault ventilator is unlikely to allow for sufficient airflow, even with a power assist.

3 minutes ago, brob said:

The vault ventilator is unlikely to allow for sufficient airflow, even with a power assist.

there are 2 holes i made near the floor and 1 near the top about a quarter in size maybe a little bigger and then this vent hole

A lit candle outputs about 80W. You may be able to devise a simple test with a few candles to test the viability of using the vault.

Few times I've seen sites with old vaults they've tended to decomission them, disable the door so it can't lock, often used as say a store room or similar.

For a retrofit as a server room I'd imagine the best bet would be something like leave the vault door open and run everything through that opening and have another door or anteroom or something.

1 hour ago, artuc said:

Few times I've seen sites with old vaults they've tended to decomission them, disable the door so it can't lock, often used as say a store room or similar.

For a retrofit as a server room I'd imagine the best bet would be something like leave the vault door open and run everything through that opening and have another door or anteroom or something.

the 1st floor vault was decom'd but i brought it back into operation, the one in the basement is a Victor, and still a 50/50 on it will be in operation

If cost is not an issue one might put an a/c evaporator and fan in the vault and the condenser outside the vault, maybe even outdoors.