The problem with Internet providers...

ionbasa

Saw this from one of my favorite YouTuber that focuses on electronics and electrical engineering.

Needless to say, I feel sorry for Australians.

As someone who is getting 50/25 next month through fiber for $39 a month, I can't fathom how Australian businesses could allow this to happen.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Saw this from one of my favorite YouTuber that focuses on electronics and electrical engineering.

Needless to say, I feel sorry for Australians.

As someone who is getting 50/25 next month through fiber for $39 a month, I can't fathom how Australian businesses could allow this to happen.

Australian :( 

Twitch streaming is impossible with my 0.80mbps upload. I am extremely jealous.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

And the Australian government thinks its ok to scrap the fiber project for basically this crap.

Because there's no money for it? If in 3 years they don't bring it back then lay on the hate, but right now we have no money.

I'm getting 1Mbps down, 0.2Mbps up for $59 a month.

The internet speed in Australia is utterly embarrassing. Absolutely unacceptable in this day and age.

Because there's no money for it? If in 3 years they don't bring it back then lay on the hate, but right now we have no money.

yet we have money to spend on old technologies like fiber to the node and vdls and hfc and stupid drones? This is what politicians and people like you dont get this will bring money to australia!!!!!!! if u look at techsyndicate they have said theres been multiple places in america that have layed there own fiber in little towns and are getting loads of tech companies and entrepreneurs coming in because of fiber!!! our mines wont last forever and its starting to show already they have to think of some way to bring people and money in other wise people are just going to leave and go to a place that does have fiber the rest of the world has seen that fiber is the best choice the uk is ripping up its fiber to the node in favour for fttp!  

yet we have money to spend on old technologies like fiber to the node and vdls and hfc and stupid drones? This is what politicians and people like you dont get this will bring money to australia!!!!!!! if u look at techsyndicate they have said theres been multiple places in america that have layed there own fiber in little towns and are getting loads of tech companies and entrepreneurs coming in because of fiber!!! our mines wont last forever and its starting to show already they have to think of some way to bring people and money in other wise people are just going to leave and go to a place that does have fiber the rest of the world has seen that fiber is the best choice the uk is ripping up its fiber to the node in favour for fttp!  

Why don't you run the country again? Oh wait, you have no idea how an economy works. Or a budget. If people need fibre, the upgrade path can be paid for. Be thankful that the government does anything. The lazy telcos like Telstra & Optus should be doing this. BTW I've heard TPG are going to be rolling out a fibre network to compete with NBN. Rather than listen to TS whinging all day, wake up to the real world and how it works. A handful of start ups can't get moving? Not worth $10billion investment in fibre. I would rather see the money poured in to paying Victoria's ambos, hospitals and health care. Things that actually matter.

Why don't you run the country again? Oh wait, you have no idea how an economy works. Or a budget. If people need fibre, the upgrade path can be paid for. Be thankful that the government does anything. The lazy telcos like Telstra & Optus should be doing this. BTW I've heard TPG are going to be rolling out a fibre network to compete with NBN. Rather than listen to TS whinging all day, wake up to the real world and how it works. A handful of start ups can't get moving? Not worth $10billion investment in fibre. I would rather see the money poured in to paying Victoria's ambos, hospitals and health care. Things that actually matter.

Your an idiot the government is buying drones and spending money on fttn which is what we already have and the only reason tpg is doing it is because the government changed the fttn if we were still going ahead with our fttp tpg would not even try which is going to make nbn co bleed money even more because tpgs will be superior over fttp!!!!! Im saying i would rather liberal cut all funds to the nbn and wait for labour to come back and do the real job instead of wasting billions on something that will have to be fixed again!

Edit: Fiber is literally a 100yr infrastructure the cables wont be obsolete only the technology on either end of the cable which can be easily upgraded when needed!!

Your an idiot the government is buying drones and spending money on fttn which is what we already have and the only reason tpg is doing it is because the government changed the fttn if we were still going ahead with our fttp tpg would not even try which is going to make nbn co bleed money even more because tpgs will be superior over fttp!!!!! Im saying i would rather liberal cut all funds to the nbn and wait for labour to come back and do the real job instead of wasting billions on something that will have to be fixed again!

*Labor. Even Labor would spend their money differently now. You're the idiot if you don't see that tax revenues have dried up, the mining boom is over and the Howard, Rudd & Gillard governments were too slow to slap proper taxes on it. We've gone through a global recession. Why spend billions on a technology that private corporations should be building and will build eventually, when the money could be used for public housing, healthcare or infrastructure (the last of which creates more jobs than anything else, if you don't understand that then omg wow).

You need to look objectively at the situation. $10b on internet that 0.1% of the population will appreciate or $10b on rail and road projects that 25% of the population will use and appreciate. 

*Labor. Even Labor would spend their money differently now. You're the idiot if you don't see that tax revenues have dried up, the mining boom is over and the Howard, Rudd & Gillard governments were too slow to slap proper taxes on it. We've gone through a global recession. Why spend billions on a technology that private corporations should be building and will build eventually, when the money could be used for public housing, healthcare or infrastructure (the last of which creates more jobs than anything else, if you don't understand that then omg wow).

You need to look objectively at the situation. $10b on internet that 0.1% of the population will appreciate or $10b on rail and road projects that 25% of the population will use and appreciate. 

I agree that telcos should pay 100% but now we are in this mess and spending billions on fttn is not the right way to fix this if u are going to spend the billions u maswell spend it on fiber and screw the stupid drones we have had terrible governments im pretty sure this is our worst tony abbott is a complete idiot and malcom turnball has to big of an ego to admit hes wrong!

I agree that telcos should pay 100% but now we are in this mess and spending billions on fttn is not the right way to fix this if u are going to spend the billions u maswell spend it on fiber and screw the stupid drones we have had terrible governments im pretty sure this is our worst tony abbott is a complete idiot and malcom turnball has to big of an ego to admit hes wrong!

Ok well, the Government has almost no control on how the defence spends its money, plus I would rather have drones then waste $50b on the garbage F-35s that Howard bought us. Tony Abbot is no where near the worst. Rudd was wasteful and threw money away. Now we as a country under Gillard and Abbot have to pay for it later.

Ok well, the Government has almost no control on how the defence spends its money, plus I would rather have drones then waste $50b on the garbage F-35s that Howard bought us. Tony Abbot is no where near the worst. Rudd was wasteful and threw money away. Now we as a country under Gillard and Abbot have to pay for it later.

No Abbot is the one who wants the drones to fly over the border to watch for boat people its ridiculous.

We'll said!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I can get 1Gbit for $18 a month.The prices you guys mention...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

$125 a month for 15mbps down and 800kbps up 500gb cap and the people above dont think internet is important lol its going to be funny when the world is run on internet which is happening now and they think businesses will be able to stay afloat with these speeds theres already been heaps of companies threatening to take there business to other countries due to our pathetic infrastructure i dont understand how people dont see the internet is the FUTURE!

Ok, please stay on topic guys. I never meant for this thread to start a semi-political rant.

Funny you say that, because he mentions Romania in the video. I would kill for thoses prices, even here in the US. Most traditional companies offering internet connections have a really bizarre way of marketing. The lower the speed, the higher the price per Mbps, and the higher the speed the lower Mbps. You would think that it would be reversed.

$125 a month for 15mbps down and 800kbps up 500gb cap and the people above dont think internet is important lol its going to be funny when the world is run on internet which is happening now and they think businesses will be able to stay afloat with these speeds theres already been heaps of companies threatening to take there business to other countries due to our pathetic infrastructure i dont understand how people dont see the internet is the FUTURE!

I agree. What bothers me is that my father had broadband cable since 2006, VDSl in 2004, ADSL in 2000, and dial up perfore that. Yet in some countries old technology is still being used. Don't get me wrong, it might be useful in some cases like providing voice or Voip in rural or underserved areas.

What is sad is the 500Gb cap. I fail to see how this could be relevant in todays society with our technology advancement, Even my cellphone data has 'unlimited' data (but throttled after 5gb). I think we need more small municipal based ISPs. There is actually a city in California that has successfully done that: http://www.lomalinda-ca.gov/asp/Site/LLCCP/AboutLLCCP/Introduction/index.asp

That city even made it required that new construction homes are wired with CAT6 data throughout homes, here is what the ordinance requires:

• Data Cabinet in Master Bedroom
  • Cable Bundle Set – 2 Cat 6, 1 Coax in each Living space. 2 sets in Master Bed Room and Family Room
  • Fiber into Data Cabinet and Community MDF

We need more city's taking action, just like Loma Linda, they even explain why they required the new ordinance:

• This city believes in infrastructure
  • Provide a better infrastructure for economic growth and development (e.g. higher home values, better business environment, etc.)
  • Promote competition (Open Ethernet System)
  • Strengthens the image of the City as innovative and progressive
  • Supports the commercial and residential interests of the citizens
  • Enables the City to play a very central role with our larger business in the City
  • Create a globally competitive community
  • Establish a new revenue source
  • Empowered more community involvement

This is the right way of doing things. Hopefully more cities can follow suit.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Ok, please stay on topic guys. I never meant for this thread to start a semi-political rant.

-snip-

Wow that is my dream city! And sorry my Internet is technically "unlimited" but after 500gb it goes to dial up speed which is basically unusable these days my phone cap is 3.5gb and after that I get charged this is the worst country to love in if u want to have a future :(