Phone went swimming...

Demonic Donut

I was at a pool party this weekend and found a phone in the pool, turns out it was my phone that fell out of my pocket before I changed into trunks to swim with my kids.

Anyway... It was off when I got it out (went in on) and I was out of town. I left it off until I got home a few days later, I removed the back glass and the subframe and speaker assembly. I also unplugged the screen and battery connectors. I've had it drying for a couple days now. I'm not sure if there is anything else I should do before I try to turn it on again. I know it's probably toast, but I'm hopeful that I don't need to spend a few hundred on a new phone.

Its a Samsung S10+

Any recommendations?

8 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

Any recommendations?

Cross your fingers. It went in the drink with the battery connected, so something was powered up at the time.

Check for any mineral deposits on the board before applying power. Maybe flush it with 91% alcohol and let it dry for a couple more days. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

You could try leaving it in the sun for a day or if you have a toaster oven put it on the lowest 'warm' setting (about 125F for my toaster oven) and let it spend an hour in there to drive out any more moisture. Problem is that pool water is chlorinated and chlorine is corrosive to metal so if it's not dead it probably won't live much longer and you should plan on replacing it or just expect it to die unexpectedly or some things to just quit working.

If anything you might want to rinse it with distilled water to wash out any minerals or chlorine that remains.

Put it into a ziplock with dry rice for a few days. It’ll draw the moisture out. Then cross fingers.

1 hour ago, Whatisthis said:

Put it into a ziplock with dry rice for a few days. It’ll draw the moisture out. Then cross fingers.

Rice doesn't dry it any better or faster than open air, in fact in a sealed bag it will dry less than if it's just left out.