Good solution for backup of videos

Hello im looking for a solution to backup videos for video editing 

So to give a little context I'm trying to help my fiancée find a good affordable option for her to backup her videos she is making for youtube she nearly just started making videos and wanted to back them up cause well her drive is running low fast 
I know you can use a NAS, an external hard drive and cloud storage not sure if there is other valid options but I'm looking for a good affordable option to use for it in the long run i do have around 200 dollars at max to use on storage for her so could anyone be nice to help me find a good solution within this price range of course cheaper would be very appreciated 

Thank you very much for your time 

5 minutes ago, shadowss said:

Hello im looking for a solution to backup videos for video editing 

So to give a little context I'm trying to help my fiancée find a good affordable option for her to backup her videos she is making for youtube she nearly just started making videos and wanted to back them up cause well her drive is running low fast 
I know you can use a NAS, an external hard drive and cloud storage not sure if there is other valid options but I'm looking for a good affordable option to use for it in the long run i do have around 200 dollars at max to use on storage for her so could anyone be nice to help me find a good solution within this price range of course cheaper would be very appreciated 

Thank you very much for your time 

bulk used server drives in a pc with a ups.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Is she trying to store the raw footage+ Completed videos? Because often times thats gonna be a waste of space. Just save the completed vids.

For long term storage you can just get as big of a HDD as fits the budget and youll be fine.

For a small channel like hers, you wont be really needed much space. I did youtube a while, and my 1TB HDD has most of my 1000 Vids on it just fine, and i did have a 4 TB Waiting for if i kept doing it. 

You dont really need a server. Its a waste of money when shes just starting out.

1 minute ago, dogwitch said:

bulk used server drives in a pc with a ups.

Just make sure they're SATA drives, not SAS.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

Just make sure they're SATA drives, not SAS.

nice spot on my mistake. i should have said that to begin with. seem i do need more sleep today.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

21 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Is she trying to store the raw footage+ Completed videos? Because often times thats gonna be a waste of space. Just save the completed vids.

For long term storage you can just get as big of a HDD as fits the budget and youll be fine.

For a small channel like hers, you wont be really needed much space. I did youtube a while, and my 1TB HDD has most of my 1000 Vids on it just fine, and i did have a 4 TB Waiting for if i kept doing it. 

You dont really need a server. Its a waste of money when shes just starting out.

She is trying to store unedited videos so she can edit them and then mainly completed videos so you would recommend we just get 1 HDD as big as possible to put the videos on we can't really install it in her pc cause its a laptop but we can install it in mine instead 

7 minutes ago, shadowss said:

She is trying to store unedited videos so she can edit them and then mainly completed videos so you would recommend we just get 1 HDD as big as possible to put the videos on we can't really install it in her pc cause its a laptop but we can install it in mine instead 

Thats gonna be a bit rough, is it gaming videos or a hobby or work? You can get an External drive, but you will run into various things with that. If she has a Two drive Laptop, she could get a 2 TB Sata drive and store them there and she should be fine, but if its only a single slot, you could just get a USB to SATA adapter and use the drive like that, although get a 2 TB Sata SSD if you do that, or a USB C to NVME drive. 

18 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Thats gonna be a bit rough, is it gaming videos or a hobby or work? You can get an External drive, but you will run into various things with that. If she has a Two drive Laptop, she could get a 2 TB Sata drive and store them there and she should be fine, but if its only a single slot, you could just get a USB to SATA adapter and use the drive like that, although get a 2 TB Sata SSD if you do that, or a USB C to NVME drive. 

it is gaming videos and shorts usually the videos are about 1-3 hours long cause they are from her stream her laptop is technically 2 drive but one of them is a NVME so she already have 2 drives in it 

was thinking either to get a 3 tb seagate barracuda or go for a firecuda for her would that be a wise idea or would you have a better idea we do have an external hard drive that has to be thrown out cause its starting to corrupt files could i just take the convert from there and attach a new hard drive to it ?

15 minutes ago, shadowss said:

it is gaming videos and shorts usually the videos are about 1-3 hours long cause they are from her stream her laptop is technically 2 drive but one of them is a NVME so she already have 2 drives in it 

was thinking either to get a 3 tb seagate barracuda or go for a firecuda for her would that be a wise idea or would you have a better idea we do have an external hard drive that has to be thrown out cause its starting to corrupt files could i just take the convert from there and attach a new hard drive to it ?

Thats gonna be pretty brutal. Does she have a following at all yet?  Because otherwise this kind of stuff generally is not worth saving. If you have streams you can generally just direct upload to youtube, you can have them as private or unlisted. Most of the time these arent really worth saving and editing down unless you have a following. You can make the best videos you can, but if nobody is watching them its probably not worth your time investment or money to buying a bunch of drives.

Dont save the streams to the drive. That should open up a lot more of the space. If there is a specific clip or a video, Save the clips then, but not the whole stream. Its not worth the space it takes up.

I would get a SSD then use it as the external Drive, like a Samsung 870 EVO, or Crucial MX500, and get a USB to SATA adapter plug. If the laptop has a USB C port, you can try an NVME drive but a lot of times those may be hit or miss on the speeds.

12 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Thats gonna be pretty brutal. Does she have a following at all yet?  Because otherwise this kind of stuff generally is not worth saving. If you have streams you can generally just direct upload to youtube, you can have them as private or unlisted. Most of the time these arent really worth saving and editing down unless you have a following. You can make the best videos you can, but if nobody is watching them its probably not worth your time investment or money to buying a bunch of drives.

Dont save the streams to the drive. That should open up a lot more of the space. If there is a specific clip or a video, Save the clips then, but not the whole stream. Its not worth the space it takes up.

I would get a SSD then use it as the external Drive, like a Samsung 870 EVO, or Crucial MX500, and get a USB to SATA adapter plug. If the laptop has a USB C port, you can try an NVME drive but a lot of times those may be hit or miss on the speeds.

she streams on twitch (average viewer of 4) and uploads videos on youtube rn so im guessing she would have to save the videos to upload them on youtube she also wanna learn editing for when its gonna be useful for her so that is why she edit them 

9 minutes ago, shadowss said:

she streams on twitch (average viewer of 4) and uploads videos on youtube rn so im guessing she would have to save the videos to upload them on youtube she also wanna learn editing for when its gonna be useful for her so that is why she edit them 

For that budget, I'd get get a large external hdd or two to store the videos on. Thats gonna be cheaper and faster than a nas. And if you want to have an addition copy, I'd get another external hdd and store it offsite.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For that budget, I'd get get a large external hdd or two to store the videos on. Thats gonna be cheaper and faster than a nas. And if you want to have an addition copy, I'd get another external hdd and store it offsite.

ok i do have an external hard drive that is failing its corrupting files its 8+ years old so would it be possible to just take the converter from that and just buy a new sata ssd to attach to it for a new external hard drive 

12 minutes ago, shadowss said:

ok i do have an external hard drive that is failing its corrupting files its 8+ years old so would it be possible to just take the converter from that and just buy a new sata ssd to attach to it for a new external hard drive 

Depends on the drive, but often yes you can. Take it apart and see if there is a sata connector you can plug a drive onto.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the drive, but often yes you can. Take it apart and see if there is a sata connector you can plug a drive onto.

ok thx i will try that then