4090 runs non-steam games at a sub-par performance

ssjazura

i just got a 4090 and its amazing, all my games that are on steam run insanely. however games that arent on steam, like minecraft or valorant are running at lower frames than they should be running with a 4090. for example, my mc without shaders runs at around 600 fps which is fine as my monitor is only 165 hz but with shaders runs below 165hz most of the time and goes slighty above at others which shouldnt be the case as i did my research and im supposed to be getting above 200fps. valorant runs around 300fps and thats odd to me too because its roughly the same fps as the 3080 i just upgraded from. im more keen to fix the mc issue so if anyone could help me find out why games outside of steam are running terribly please help me out!

image.png

What cpu?

Also I love how your saying 600 and 300 fps is bad and your somehow not wrong 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, Failure 101 said:

What cpu?

5900x This will be your issue. 4090 requires either 13700k/13900k or 7800x3D type cpu. 5900x Is not going to get the most out of it in those games, should still do just fine but based on what you are trying to compare it to, yeah its not going to match the newer chips sadly. 

Also do note that Shaders and such can really mess up performance so

5900x and 1440p, this sounds about right. You bought a GPU not suitable for that system. Your CPU is limiting you in those titles. 

2 minutes ago, Failure 101 said:

What cpu?

loll, cpu is shown in the minecraft screenshot, ryzen 9 5900x

why are you expecting modded minecraft to run well. thats not how computers work. A faster computer doesn't mean the mod is magically programmed better or somehow takes advantage of the hardware upgrade.

30 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

5900x This will be your issue. 4090 requires either 13700k/13900k or 7800x3D type cpu. 5900x Is not going to get the most out of it in those games, should still do just fine but based on what you are trying to compare it to, yeah its not going to match the newer chips sadly. 

Also do note that Shaders and such can really mess up performance so

thank you so much, is athe amd ryzen 7 7700x good enough

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

why are you expecting modded minecraft to run well. thats not how computers work. A faster computer doesn't mean the mod is magically programmed better or somehow takes advantage of the hardware upgrade.

im expecting minecraft to run well because the mod profile im using is specifically made for mc to run well. its called fabulously optimized and optimizes minecraft to get the best performance. thanks to the other comments on this thread i know this is an issue with my cpu and not my gpu. so i'll get a new cpu and problem should be fixed 🙂

48 minutes ago, ssjazura said:

im expecting minecraft to run well because the mod profile im using is specifically made for mc to run well. its called fabulously optimized and optimizes minecraft to get the best performance. thanks to the other comments on this thread i know this is an issue with my cpu and not my gpu. so i'll get a new cpu and problem should be fixed 🙂

Valorant sure thats cpu limtid but then again its 300fps. People barely notice 144hz vs 360hz. Let alone 300 vs 360fps.

As for minecraft. Open like task manager or whatever and check per core usage. Is a single core maxed out? If not then it's simply minecraft running at the limit of the mod.

52 minutes ago, ssjazura said:

thank you so much, is athe amd ryzen 7 7700x good enough

probably wanna spring for the 7800x3d to get the full performance from the 4090

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

1 hour ago, ssjazura said:

so i'll get a new cpu and problem should be fixed 🙂

so in your mind a programs speed is dictated by the cpu speed? because you're going to get a pretty expensive reality check that way.

On 7/18/2023 at 9:20 PM, emosun said:

so in your mind a programs speed is dictated by the cpu speed? because you're going to get a pretty expensive reality check that way.

:3