Changing drives, should i take oportunity to switch from windows to Linux?

As the tittle says, im gonna be installing new drives in my pc, mainly swaping my  small m.2 OS drive for bigger one. I searched for programs that move drive C between physical drives but seems like pain to do. That brings me to other options such as straight up installing one of Linux distros, i have some experience with Ubuntu and lately steamdeck OS, however my heart still loves win7 and to lower deegree XP, i would love to find a way to daily drive win7 but from scattering web seems impossible if i want to keep playing newer or online games, i couldn't anything newer than 1 year old on steam OS for desktop so if someone who daily drive it could give me his opinnion or advice which version looka the best i would be gratefull. I'm also open to any wild cards i never Heard od.

I would recommend Linux Mint, Pop_Os! or Zorin OS as a beginning, Zorin is distro targeted towards beginners and has alot of guides.

However whenever it's Worth it switched is really dependent on what you do on your PC productivity and gaming wise...

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

So on Linux, what do you do with games that require certain windows update vers, you know the exact same thing that prevents you from using windows 7 or older?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

So on Linux, what do you do with games that require certain windows update vers, you know the exact same thing that prevents you from using windows 7 or older?

Well that's tricky question because on steamdeck there is proton and most games run just fine, some older titles work even better then on windows, and most denuvo/easyanticheat titles don't interest me, i had only one game that i couldn't Play on steamdeck. But i haven't Heard od any windows 7 program to work around missing updates or adding support for newer dx versions. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

You continually download new versions of WINE/Proton which are kept up to date with supporting new Windows features. It's a very active project.

5 hours ago, GorujoCY said:

I would recommend Linux Mint, Pop_Os! or Zorin OS as a beginning, Zorin is distro targeted towards beginners and has alot of guides.

However whenever it's Worth it switched is really dependent on what you do on your PC productivity and gaming wise...

Thanks for recommendations

From what i checked zorin os seems best for my use case, im gonna be testing it together with other 2.

It's worth a try if your curious, distros install faster than windows so your not really losing that much time.

Windows takes me hours to get to a function system (even using a fresh iso) where I can get up and going and jamming my steams games within 30minutes of a Linux install.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:59 PM, Mark Kaine said:

barring some anti-cheat junk for newer games, you have 3 options

option 1: upgrade proton to newer version

option 2: add glorious eggroll's proton improvements

when these 2 fail

option 3: proton tricks to force inject the necessary options / requirements

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

1 hour ago, cretsiah said:

barring some anti-cheat junk for newer games, you have 3 options

option 1: upgrade proton to newer version

option 2: add glorious eggroll's proton improvements

when these 2 fail

option 3: proton tricks to force inject the necessary options / requirements

sounds plausible,  but what i meant is : game x requires "windows 10 vers x.xxx.xx" minimum and does not support linux 

then you could maybe still play it on wine (with poor performance probably)  but could you really circumvent that requirement? 

(and yes thats pretty specific,  but exactly what i meant with requires a certain win ver)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

sounds plausible,  but what i meant is : game x requires "windows 10 vers x.xxx.xx" minimum and does not support linux 

then you could maybe still play it on wine (with poor performance probably)  but could you really circumvent that requirement? 

(and yes thats pretty specific,  but exactly what i meant with requires a certain win ver)

WINE is constantly updated. You rely on it to keep up with these requirements the best it can. It is of course entirely possible for a Windows developer to deliberately detect and block WINE users, but such cases are very rare (so far). The most notable being Roblox.