Epileptic seizure warnings on videos

Eso

Hi LTT team and fans, 

Not that I have any medical issues with epileptic seizures and do appreciate that they give a countdown prior to showing that a scene may trigger it, may I suggest a warning during the introduction that the video in fact contains them? I personally watch LTT on the couch and getting the remote to register and click to pause could probably take more time to react than 3 seconds. Just a thought for others 🙂

As someone who doesn't exactly have this issue, and since the seriousness might vary (we have had discussions in past about where the line is with avatars), do you have example for video where contents are close or over the line? Only parts that come into mind are added effects of "disco".

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Having grown up with someone who had the condition it's difficult to ascertain where the line is drawn. I agree that sometimes it could be just as much as strobing lights that sets it off but it varies greatly from person to person. I'm not of the camp that you should have to modify how the content is presented, but to instead give fair warning at the start if the video contains that kind of material. LTT has done a great job of warning when these images maybe present, but just as a precaution I think a warning at the start of the video might be prudent for viewers who have this issue. I'm not a medical professional by any means but having witnessed it first hand I thought I'd chime in. 

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

As someone who doesn't exactly have this issue, and since the seriousness might vary (we have had discussions in past about where the line is with avatars), do you have example for video where contents are close or over the line? Only parts that come into mind are added effects of "disco".

I'm not OP, and I don't have any examples, but working with web devs I know that Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 acknowledged by US courts defines seizure inducing flashes as follows:

flashes more than three times in any one second period, or the flash is below the general flash and red flash thresholds.

In other words: If something flashes more than 3 times in one second, then it needs to be really small in field of view or not a huge luminance change.

PEAT is one tool that can detect such flashes: https://trace.umd.edu/peat/

5 hours ago, Eso said:

Having grown up with someone who had the condition it's difficult to ascertain where the line is drawn. I agree that sometimes it could be just as much as strobing lights that sets it off but it varies greatly from person to person. I'm not of the camp that you should have to modify how the content is presented, but to instead give fair warning at the start if the video contains that kind of material. LTT has done a great job of warning when these images maybe present, but just as a precaution I think a warning at the start of the video might be prudent for viewers who have this issue. I'm not a medical professional by any means but having witnessed it first hand I thought I'd chime in. 

3 minutes ago, NobleGamer said:

I'm not OP, and I don't have any examples, but working with web devs I know that Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 acknowledged by US courts defines seizure inducing flashes as follows:

In other words: If something flashes more than 3 times in one second, then it needs to be really small in field of view or not a huge luminance change.

PEAT is one tool that can detect such flashes: https://trace.umd.edu/peat/

To both. This is why I ask for examples. I haven't seen anything what I would classify as strobing lights. In general, such in videos is rather cringe. On forums, avatars are within those guidelines, but are still monitored for excessive use of flashing colors etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This is one that comes to mind.  Although they did give 5 seconds...as someone who watches almost all YouTube content at 2x speed that's only 2.5 seconds of warning (still enough for me to close my eyes and look away though)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

5 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

This is one that comes to mind.  Although they did give 5 seconds...as someone who watches almost all YouTube content at 2x speed that's only 2.5 seconds of warning (still enough for me to close my eyes and look away though)

Thanks, that was just what I was looking for. I don't watch most of the content, mainly listen, so things like this go by. Which is why I often ask for examples when someone asks design or accessibility changes.

To that, I would agree that adding warning after intro for example would be good.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As someone who worked as system integrator in big broadcasting houses, I am familiar with the software that detects possible epileptic sequences among other potential problems with the video. That kind of software will report which sequences are potentially problematic and when. 
Also, watching at 2x plus speeds some frames will be skipped which means that there is high possibility that eg. strobing effects will not be perceived as in the native playing speed. 

I think it would be reasonable and wise to have the host drop a short mention right after the intro: "Quick warning, seizure risk at (timestamp)." It gives a reasonable heads up to be aware of it before hand, and shouldn't really make any difference to the video content, itself.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

• 4 weeks later...

As a disabled person with migraine issues sometimes caused by strobing lights, who also has ADHD inattentive type and is on the autistic spectrum, the more noticeable the notice is Abba having it repeated (at least visually) before it happens is useful. Also you could break that section off in each video where it occurs for the timeline and skipping around

I am very sensitive to light, especially flashing lights so this would really help out. 

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

As someone with epilepsy I can say that, in my experience, seizure warnings are welcome and appreciated. Most of the time I do not even stop watching but its nice to have the option. A technique that I use if it is particularly bad is to make the video or window smaller (if I am on a device that can do that). A technique Id love channels to start using is putting the blinking footage in a smaller window. Kinda like a picture in picture type thing. The less screen space that effect has, the lower the chance that it will effect someone negatively (again in my experience).

Photo flicker effects really only bother me if I am in a dark space and the blinking light is very bright. When it happens at concerts is the worst. Imagine you are just trying to enjoy the band/artist and they insist on using a ton of strobes in their stage show so you basically have to keep your hands in front of your eyes or just leave. I get a lot of people like them and when used sparingly it is bearable for me. I go to concerts (and to some degree watch YouTube videos) at my own risk but it is really nice to know if/when strobing effects are coming.

IMO, it's very hard to determine where the line is, because even people who don't have epilepsy, might actually have something induced depending on their viewing environment. Like personally, the "bright flash" strobe effect always has a negative effect, the more of the field of view it occupies.

As far as warnings go, it's fair game to put a warning at the beginning of a video where you know there is a strobe or flickering that is within the control of the editor, otherwise it would make more sense to cut or slow down the effect if it's not important to demonstrating something. 

Photosensitive epilepsy is the reason for "watch in a well lit room" warnings are on video games, and people who know they have it, know better than to watch or play games and other content that have the warning up front.