Fast internet, slow downloads

Hi! 

I work at a studio and I have to download large files from their server everyday. I am WFH and just upgraded to 1gb internet. My speeds are great on and off the VPN I use when using Speedtest or downloading games from steam. These files I am downloading though only download at around 20mbs and I have no idea why. I have been told there should be no limit from the server and that my trace routes all check out and nothing seems out of the ordinary in regards to all of that. 

Any ideas or direction would be amazing! 

1. Speedtest does not reflect real world speed, and purely based on server location.

2. No speed limit from the server does not necessarily mean it has unlimited speed, server hardware performance and server connection performance also directly affects download speed.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

You have to take into account the other side of the connection.  Some companies run on slower connection speeds and could have hundreds of people using that bandwidth.  Also, rarely on consumer-class connections, even at high speeds, are you guaranteed to get the full rate at all times.

If speedtest is fast, steam downloads are fast, and files from their server are slow... it's their server/server config/server's internet connection 🙂

If your company has 100 mbps down / 100 mbps up internet connection ,  you could have 10 gbps but you'd still download with at most 100 mbps.  They can send data towards you at maximum 100 mbps. 

Your 1 gbps is like the speed rating of tires or cars. It's the maximum you can achieve but doesn't mean you'll always get that speed just like you don't always drive at the maximum speed.

If the path between you and the remote computer isn't good you won't get that speed. If the remote computer can't give you the data fast enough for various reasons (his upload speed slow, the storage from where data is retrieved is slow etc) then you won't be able to get the data fast.

Note that they may use a hardware VPN with some build in encryption, and the processor in the VPN hardware may simply be not fast enough to encrypt a lot of data, or may be intentionally limited (to force companies to pay for a higher end model that can do higher throughput). 

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot to mention that other people from this company can download the same files using their full internet speeds and the company is definitely large enough to have the best of the best when it comes to servers and all of that