Upgrading our FREE internet to 25 gigabit!

mynameGeoff

The free wireless internet we installed for the lttstore.com merch team has been awesome, but because we didn’t install it properly, it’s limited to speed of 1 gigabit. Today, we fix that by running 25gig fiber optic Ethernet!

1. Your ISP's CPE (switch in the cabinet) is to your benefit as well. Sure it provides the basic delivery of your service, but it also provides an additional segment for monitoring and troubleshooting. From a SP perspective, this is incredibly valuable. If you call in an issue, they could verify if an outage is power related via dying-gasp or if your seeing degraded performance is on their end or your via RFC2544/Y.1564/RFC6349 to verify frame loss or indicator for damaged fiber. Without a CPE, your MTTR is drastically reduced as dispatches cost money and time which apply to the customer as well.
  2. Attenuators are not really needed and sometime introduce more problems. Most optics these days (even cheap ones) can easily handle back-to-back run up to 20km, even some 40km optics, as the Rx thresholds are typically greater than their Tx power.  Unless your dealing with 40/80km+ or AMPs, there risk of burning out an optic is microscopic.
  3. You spent so much time determining when the simple solution was right in front of you. The Tx/Rx of the fibers when prepackaged duplex have color coded strain reliefs for each strand. That and using left/right didn't work because they are already flipped at one end.
  4. The effort that Jake put in to cable management made my stomach turn.

Glad to see more networking vids regardless. But I really hope you got permission or notified prior to this because getting into a share NID or conduit has it's own legal liabilities.

2 hours ago, mynameGeoff said:

The free wireless internet we installed for the lttstore.com merch team has been awesome, but because we didn’t install it properly, it’s limited to speed of 1 gigabit. Today, we fix that by running 25gig fiber optic Ethernet!

6:03 why is he laughing lol because he doesnt pay for it ? 😛 I mean there is no reason I can think of that ltt will saturate a 1 to 5 gbps connection (judging from the price $120 is a price point where quite a few ISPs in USA offer those speeds so I guess the same goes for canada too. ) for private internet like what? will ltt store throttle? youtube does all the heavy work for the video distribution they only have to upload a few videos per day, then there's what that eats up internet? The forum? lol 

I mean sure a leased line is better like sure there cs support, guarantees of speed and more favorable connection ratio or even 0 but still for a use case such as ltt I do not see why it is laughable to not just use a $120 1gbps line really (and yeas even if that's nominal during most of the day) especially if we are talking about 5gbps. 
You could also have like an extra 50 bucks 5G LTE as a back up and be golden. 

Jake, you can use the Speedtest desktop or CLI version next time, it is able to test at greater speeds than the browser version (of course still limited by the specific Speedtest server you're testing to)

Could somebody help explain why couldn't they just put a switch in the room with the ISP switch?

side bar note.

what the cable he is using?

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

Jake, you can use the Speedtest desktop or CLI version next time, it is able to test at greater speeds than the browser version (of course still limited by the specific Speedtest server you're testing to)

or my new favorite - https://speed.cloudflare.com/

An earlier job in my career was datacenter network design and in particular fibre deployments between data halls. We made extensive use of the optical multiplexers you mentioned towards the end of the video. The brand we used was SmartOptics. They have cheap passive CWDM (coarse) and more pricey DWDM (dense) multiplexers. The solutions were shockingly cheap compared to running more dark fiber - typically 10x cheaper - despite their transceivers costing more. An 8-channel will cost less than the switch you connect into. It might be a topic for a followup video but I'm not sure how many views. They're not very interesting boxes because they don't have any flashing lights. So despite being almost magical in how they work, probably not the kind of thing you can show in a youtube video.

BiDi is far more common today despite the transceivers costing more. In the high-density compute racks we use multi-core MTP fibres and high-density LC frames but its still never enough. Running duplex cabling would make the rack overflow with fibre. Cable management is the single greatest problem I hear from the datacenter ops these days. BiDi halves the cabling and makes everything fit. Nobody cares about the $50 transceiver cost. Saving even 15 mins of an ops time would cover the difference in cost.

You don't need the attenuators unless you go outside spec. This isn't relevant to cheap BiDi transceivers which are fixed power but with the more expensive WDM units there's a built-in optical amplifier which will increase/decrease the Tx power appropriately. Putting an attenuator in path might require the Tx to transmit brighter making it work harder and possibly shortening its life. Only use an attenuator if the minimum Tx exceeds the maximum Rx at the other end. Very rare unless you're dealing with high-distance (>10km) optics.

Also don't clean your fibres in water. Water is the natural enemy of fibre optic. It's the second worst thing you can do to fibre; the worst is bending it too far and cracking the glass. The fiber optic is sheathed and there's grease inside the sheath to prevent water ingress. But the connectors are the weak spot and should never get wet. If water does get into the sheath you need to cut off the connector and reterminate.

You were also far too delicate with the connectors. Even APC you can treat as rough as guts and they're usually fine. They're not indestructible but they're not nearly as fragile as people think. Invest in a $10 one-click cleaning pen and you're golden. The signal quality of fiber optic can be affected by a single speck of dust.

LMG is a multi-million dollar company yet not having the basics like a VFL or even a LC tip cleaner kinda shows how far out of their element this is for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Jake is one of my favs. Man does he know his shiz. And i love their dynamic together. So, they said they have a 25gig NIC on the PC they did the speed test on. I just recently got 3gig internet from Bell. I need to get a NIC to get those speeds so can someone please show me what some of my options are? Also of note, i would like something that i wont have to upgrade if ever i decide to get faster internet.
Thanks folks.

Y'all might want to check out iperf3 (available via most linux package managers, and has builds for Windows) for doing local area speed tests.