Difference Between a OEM PSU & a Regular PSU

Geekazoid
Go to solution Solved by quan289,

The OEM version of a Retail unit typically would have some price cuts aspect to it. For example, the Seasonic S12II Bronze 430w is the retail version the OEM SS-***ET/ES Bronze. At a glance, you would see that the housing is this plain gray finished and that the cables are unsleeved and shorter. It also doesn't come with a power cord. Internally, it also uses cheaper caps (lower temp rated on the primary, and a mix of Teapo, OST, and Su'scon on the secondary) instead of the full 105C Japanese cap on the retail model.

The Seasonic G is the retail version of the SSP-***GT/RT. It may offer the same price cuts as the example of what I said above, but I'm unsure of how much.

Anyways, I'm not sure why PCCG listed as such, but usually a retailer won't market the OEM the same as the retail version (and this assume they are aware of all of this). Unless overlooking something due to my lack of sleep, I believe you are getting the retail model. You could always check up with PCCG to be sure.

Hi guys,

I'm here once again asking another question of which you can probably guess from the title. I'm wanting to know the difference between an OEM PSU and a regular non-OEM PSU. I hope that's clear enough.

Thanks in advance!

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

An OEM PSU is made exclusively for pre-built PC vendors such as Dell and HP by PSU making companies in non standard specifications of size and wattage. Due to the low power usage of such systems and to lower costs the quality standard of PSUs being used is less than satisfactory. Although, they will last the warranty of the system and will not fail unless you tinker or upgrade the systems. Their power output can be less than optimal and they may develop overheating problems.

Whereas DIY system builder PSU are built to last and you get what you pay for. They are much more likely to confirm and outperform standards such as 80+ Bronze - 80+ Platinum. They are robust and will last you through multiple system builds and upgrades. They have long life, better cooling and more palatable aesthetics. Companies like SeaSonic manufacture both kind of PSU.

An OEM PSU is made exclusively for pre-built PC vendors such as Dell and HP by PSU making companies in non standard specifications of size and wattage. Due to the low power usage of such systems and to lower costs the quality standard of PSUs being used is less than satisfactory. Although, they will last the warranty of the system and will not fail unless you tinker or upgrade the systems. Their power output can be less than optimal and they may develop overheating problems.

Whereas DIY system builder PSU are built to last and you get what you pay for. They are much more likely to confirm and outperform standards such as 80+ Bronze - 80+ Platinum. They are robust and will last you through multiple system builds and upgrades. They have long life, better cooling and more palatable aesthetics. Companies like SeaSonic manufacture both kind of PSU.

So would you say that this SeaSonic PSU (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_972&products_id=21503) is lower quality than this SeaSonic PSU (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_972&products_id=21502)?

SeaSonic manufactures good OEM PSUs and SeaSonic manufactures great DIY PSU. So, neither lacks quality as a PSU but there is no point in buying OEM one over the DIY one. Since both of those are part of G-Series, it does not make a difference.

I forgot to mention that many times OEM PSU are rebranded by vendors.

SeaSonic manufactures good OEM PSUs and SeaSonic manufactures great DIY PSU. So, neither lacks quality as a PSU but there is no point in buying OEM one over the DIY one. Since both of those are part of G-Series, it does not make a difference.

I forgot to mention that many times OEM PSU are rebranded by vendors.

The only reason I ask is because PC Case Gear are only listing the 650W G-Series PSU as OEM. My thought was maybe that they didn't provide you with cables on the OEM one. However that would seem rather ridiculous to me.

The OEM version of a Retail unit typically would have some price cuts aspect to it. For example, the Seasonic S12II Bronze 430w is the retail version the OEM SS-***ET/ES Bronze. At a glance, you would see that the housing is this plain gray finished and that the cables are unsleeved and shorter. It also doesn't come with a power cord. Internally, it also uses cheaper caps (lower temp rated on the primary, and a mix of Teapo, OST, and Su'scon on the secondary) instead of the full 105C Japanese cap on the retail model.

The Seasonic G is the retail version of the SSP-***GT/RT. It may offer the same price cuts as the example of what I said above, but I'm unsure of how much.

Anyways, I'm not sure why PCCG listed as such, but usually a retailer won't market the OEM the same as the retail version (and this assume they are aware of all of this). Unless overlooking something due to my lack of sleep, I believe you are getting the retail model. You could always check up with PCCG to be sure.

The OEM version of a Retail unit typically would some some price cuts aspect to it. For example, the Seasonic S12II Bronze 430w is the retail version the OEM SS-***ET/ES Bronze. At a glance, you would see that the housing is this plain gray finished and that the cables are unsleeved and shorter. It also doesn't come with a power cord. Internally, it also uses cheaper caps (lower temp rated on the primary, and a mix of Teapo, OST, and Su'scon on the secondary) instead of the full 105C Japanese cap on the retail model.

Thanks for that! :D