I was SO happy to see the new GameLinked channel launched... But the behind-the-camera talking decision is a huge mistake!!!

Mr_Viper

It's so cool that LTT finally got a channel dedicated to games! And I thought this intro video was just about perfect... Except for one thing

If you go to 2:10, you'll hear one of many times where James pipes in with a random quick one-line comment from behind the camera. This is, as far as I know, a brand new thing -- I don't think I've ever heard it in another LTT video.

When it happens in other videos and Linus acknowledges it and talks back, it's one thing. But when the host is giving a video news report essay like in this video, and all of the suddden someone you can't see says something you'll probably miss because you're not watching someone talk, it completely throws off the flow.

Personally, I find it super annoying and disorienting. It doesn't even matter if the lines are clever or funny, unfortunately. I felt like I was on edge the entire back half of the video, waiting for a non-sequiter to drop while Linus was talking about something I was genuinely interested in.

I know, I'm just some guy, who cares what one guy thinks. But I sure was excited for a channel like this, and I genuinely don't think I'll subscribe if producers stick with this decision.

2 minutes ago, Lomac said:

They've done behind the camera talking on Techlinked for quite some time, so nothing new here.

Really? I've mainly just followed the main channel, I swear I've seen several Techlinked episodes before in the past, and never noticed this.

1 minute ago, Mr_Viper said:

This is, as far as I know, a brand new thing

it's as old as the NCIX tech tips days. in fact, back then it was *actually* someone in the background just trash talking the host off script.

but i agree that it's easy to throw off the flow of the video with this. there's been a few examples trough the LTT history of videos with a concept like this not getting executed quite right.

having all that said.. if the behind the camera thing bugs you, you're right to speak up about it. it's feedback like this that guides the team to make what people enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Viper said:

Really? I've mainly just followed the main channel, I swear I've seen several Techlinked episodes before in the past, and never noticed this.

Yeah, depending on who’s hosting, James, Linus, or Riley interjects from off-camera in almost every episode. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I passively watch TechLinked and I just assumed they do the talking thing in every episode. I imagine they have enough analytics and impressions from comments at this point to know that people like the off-camera commentary.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

19 minutes ago, Mr_Viper said:

It's so cool that LTT finally got a channel dedicated to games! And I thought this intro video was just about perfect... Except for one thing

If you go to 2:10, you'll hear one of many times where James pipes in with a random quick one-line comment from behind the camera. This is, as far as I know, a brand new thing -- I don't think I've ever heard it in another LTT video.

When it happens in other videos and Linus acknowledges it and talks back, it's one thing. But when the host is giving a video news report essay like in this video, and all of the suddden someone you can't see says something you'll probably miss because you're not watching someone talk, it completely throws off the flow.

Personally, I find it super annoying and disorienting. It doesn't even matter if the lines are clever or funny, unfortunately. I felt like I was on edge the entire back half of the video, waiting for a non-sequiter to drop while Linus was talking about something I was genuinely interested in.

I know, I'm just some guy, who cares what one guy thinks. But I sure was excited for a channel like this, and I genuinely don't think I'll subscribe if producers stick with this decision.

ye its what they do. I think it's actually pretty nice as it gives a more casual feel to the video (a bit like techlinked but for games, hence the name) 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

The odd episodes I've watched off TL its part of the flow how host chats with camera operator/writer/producer. From what I've watched, it has been host commenting the script to Riley while reading it.

Its more common on other channels, mainly LTT and SC. Trust me, its more awkward when host asks something from cameraperson and they weren't ready to be in the video.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It wouldn't bother mean so much if they were better at it. When it was Riley and his brother doing it back in the ncix days, it was smooth and unforced. You could tell that they were on the same wavelength.

The current cast just doesn't have the same flow or connection. Likely due to the size of the crew and how much time (or lack there of) they spend with each other.

At least they have started micing the camera operator/heckler. What's more annoying than off screen heckling? Having a host pause, then laugh at something you can't even hear. *Faceplam*

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Yeah I'm no fan of it either. I find it more distracting than anything else. To me it takes away more than it adds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

On 7/2/2023 at 1:02 PM, Mr_Viper said:

I enjoy it on TL, but it did feel a little weird in this one. It's very common on TL so I'm very surprised that this is the first time you've noticed it. In the TL videos it really adds to the value of the video for me. Without the occasional comment or sarcastic remark I feel like the newsread gets boring. It's all personal preference though.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA  MB: MSI B550-A PRO  Cooler: DeepCool AK620  Drives: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 970 EVO 1TB

9 hours ago, Sarra said:

At least they have started micing the camera operator/heckler. What's more annoying than off screen heckling? Having a host pause, then laugh at something you can't even hear. *Faceplam*

I agree.  I'm not a fan either.  "Inside jokes" don't work when your entire audience is out of the loop.

7 hours ago, Erioch said:

I agree.  I'm not a fan either.  "Inside jokes" don't work when your entire audience is out of the loop.

Let's be fair: 90% of the time, it's just a pun. It doesn't add anything to the video beyond humor.

3 hours ago, Sarra said:

Let's be fair: 90% of the time, it's just a pun. It doesn't add anything to the video beyond humor.

Humor is being generous. Most of the time, the comments are pretty weak. 😉

I don’t like it but from what comments I had seen I figured I was in the minority. I’d be happy if they didn’t do it on gamelinked.  

5 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Humor is being generous. Most of the time, the comments are pretty weak. 😉

I've laughed pretty hard at a few of them, not gonna lie.

3 hours ago, Maddog66 said:

I don’t like it but from what comments I had seen I figured I was in the minority. I’d be happy if they didn’t do it on gamelinked.  

Maybe a compromise, and they just do fewer of them? I dunno, it's pretty difficult to get a realistic 'count' of how many like, vs dislike, these.

Hope everyone is well.

first id like to say i was excited for gamelinked, was being the operative word. But now... not so much. it is just a carbon copy of techlinked, right down to riley, his voice in the background sidekick, awful puns/jokes and writting and presentation. there is nothing about it that makes me want to return to watch more. its unoriginal and just cringe on all levels. they mey aswell not have launched it and left it as part of techlinked. theres no need for this chennel to exist sadly. missed the mark and then some. it could be good, but needs a massive overhaul to be so.

yes i know theres only been two episodes so far but lmg with all its experience and knowledge should know how to put together a new show/channel.

35 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What did you expect?

Yeah, was gonna say. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but the name of the channel kind of tells me what to expect. If you're not a fan of Techlinked that's fair enough. But I'm assuming the original channel must be relatively successful, and if they have enough game focused content to make a separate channel for it, then it makes sense.

If anything, it's even better, because if you don't love the format, it's easier to avoid some of it, rather than just doubling Techlinkeds output.

4 hours ago, Tydfil said:

Hope everyone is well.

first id like to say i was excited for gamelinked, was being the operative word. But now... not so much. it is just a carbon copy of techlinked, right down to riley, his voice in the background sidekick, awful puns/jokes and writting and presentation. there is nothing about it that makes me want to return to watch more. its unoriginal and just cringe on all levels. they mey aswell not have launched it and left it as part of techlinked. theres no need for this chennel to exist sadly. missed the mark and then some. it could be good, but needs a massive overhaul to be so.

yes i know theres only been two episodes so far but lmg with all its experience and knowledge should know how to put together a new show/channel.

I've merged this with another thread which was about GameLinked. Its been less than week, so better to keep all criticism in one thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have one last bit to add to this:

The off screen jokes/heckling was a bit annoying on TL, especially at the beginning, but as the hosts and hecklers made more episodes, they improved the quality of it, and it did grow on me.

Basically, give it time, the channel will find it's rythem, and it is likely to get better.

They have been doing the same thing on the TechLinked channel for forever and on the old NCIX channel in news videos when they worked there before. I never found it funny and I just dont watch any of the videos. The content is just not for me. I get my tech and gaming news from any of a number of other YT channels that IMO just do a better job and dont have the lame jokes.

I don't watch TL, but on ShortCircuit, I really don't like it. Just mic them up, I don't want to have to purposefully rely on subtitles. 

Jam on through to the other side

1 hour ago, bhop_monster_jam said:

I don't watch TL, but on ShortCircuit, I really don't like it. Just mic them up, I don't want to have to purposefully rely on subtitles. 

It's part of the schtick. It's meant to be like you are getting to see behind the scenes. I'll bet you all these interjections are scripted too.

Check out Gamersnexus new AMD video. They left in all the parts where he claps his hands for audio sync before each interview. 

And I'm sure lots of times you've seen a shot where a presenter is talking directly to camera but then all of a sudden it switches to a side view where you even see the first camera in the shot.

It's meant to be some kind of self-aware/meta thing. It started in the 90s with MTV and the like.