Thoughts on Protonmail?

I use the paid plan for both proton mail and vpn. Using a custom domain works well and I use bridge with thunderbird on my desktop. 

On 7/7/2023 at 10:57 PM, Nuzicx said:

Absolutely hate it with its constant update notifications, as if it can't be automatically done without requiring user input. FML.

I left protonmail after the data leak to authorities, switched to mailbox.org but considering icloud, both offer catchall and custom domains, icloud seems cheaper.

Don't get me wrong protonmail had a wonderful phone app and decent web mailbox.

I've found mailbox.org to be very slow on web mailbox however I rarely use

Weird I have never had a single notification from pmb, 

On 7/4/2023 at 2:45 AM, gjsman said:

Works nice, looks nice, but if you think it's safe because it's from Switzerland, look no further than the story of Crypto AG. 

holly... my believes in the word have collapsed

ಠ_ಠ

Main reason to use proton mail is for privacy and Its shite for even that at that point just use a gmail account or if ya care about your privacy look into dedicated hosting or temp mail services i heard that riseup is also quite good and have onion urls /s perrfect if your a fr🤢nch climiate activist protestor

Proton mail has a history with working with goverments

https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/09/07/protonmail-criticised-for-passing-arrested-french-climate-activist-s-ip-address-to-police

There utter shite Excuse the poor news website and redirect url

On 7/14/2023 at 8:13 PM, Jesse bruce pinkman said:

Main reason to use proton mail is for privacy and Its shite for even that at that point just use a gmail account

This is such a bad take it’s hard to even begin breaking it down into something reasonable.

All services will work with law enforcement, eventually. If they don’t, they will be shut down, eventually.

The question becomes what data does a provider keep track of by default and what can they be compelled to keep track of legally?

in the case you linked, they received a legally-binding request for data they were legally required to obtain. Kinda hard to say no to that now is it?

Saying “they did this one thing which _may_ be _misconstrued_ as being against their privacy claims so you might as well switch to a provider in the states with the worst privacy record on the planet” is idiocy at best and insidious at worst. You are actively try to promote a worse privacy solution for everyone because the needs of a single person were not met by a certain service.

I use ProtonMail as my main email provider. Very similar features as Gmail, but provides a secure environment. User friendly and great support! 

I've used proton mail for local issues to various depts, a VPN at their behest and they never reply presumably because it's flagged their side as spam.

Not a technical issue but one of being from a trusted source using a VPN email which isn't trusted

Thank you so much everyone. I think I have everything I need now for any future conversations with Protonmail.

Going to lock the thread now.

Greatly appreciate the help again, and hope everyone is having a good day.