Looking for a very leightweight but snappy Linux Distro for JUST running Web browsers.

Hopefully ubuntu based, at least debian based.

I plan to use it in Virtualbox. but i will give it 8 GB ram and enough cpu cores.

I tried Mint even even that feels "heavy".

Try Lubuntu. I run Lubuntu in a VirtualBox VM on my 2018 Mac mini home server. All it does it torrent Linux ISOs all day. It only needs like 1GB of memory to run (I give it 4GB) and I only give it 2 cores but I believe it could run on 1. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I myself switched to Mabox for that purpose. Nice is that it has virtualbox guest additions preinstalled. It is however not a Debian like distro. It is based on Manjaro. Windowmanager is openbox, very lightweight.

if you really want a Debian type, how about Debian, install X, openbox for windowmanager?  

any ubuntu derivative should be good, except the people who decidedc to carry on with the unity interface, that wont.  I expiramented a while ago with ubuntu mate turning a bunch of old laptops into thin clients and it went really well. should be perfect for your use.

Crunchbang++

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

while chrome os flex , is based on it, if you require more granular control / customatisation, and even less overhead. if you have the time to configure it

there will be no better choice then gentoo,( if you do require some maintenance infrastructure) its why google chose it as the base for chrome os to. buy doing it yourself means that you get to compile everything just for that system (you can use a beefy one to do the compiling on using ICECC/ICECREAM or DISTCC)  making it that much more snappy and stable...and that much more lightweight because if its an intel you can drop all amd optimisation code right then and there , if you dont need it to run a DE , you can drop all kde and gnome integration code in the browser right then and there,....

• 1 month later...

mageia + XFCE or WM

ROSA Fresh + LXQt or WM

GhostBSD + MATE or WM

siduction + XFCE or LXQt or WM

ALT Sisyphus + LXQt or WM

EndeavourOS + i3wm
Devuan + XFCE or WM

Void Linux

Clear Linux + i3wm

Artix Linux + LXQt or WM

DragonFly BSD

Alpine Linux + XFCE or bspwm

FreeBSD + XFCE or LXQt or bspwm/i3/spectrwm/dwm/etc.

The names in bold satisfy your requirement that you can use apt-get (the typical Ubuntu/Debian command).

The names in italics are going to perform best in a VM in terms of (system) boot times, app startup times, and performance in WebXPRT and other browser benchmarks.

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

• 4 weeks later...

WM is window maker, and is based on software and ideas developed almost 30 years ago.  It is very light, and has great theming options.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.