Ryzen 4500 Bottleneck RTX 3070?

Skell3to
Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
Just now, Skell3to said:

Alright thanks! So I should get the ryzen 5600 with it?

If you can squeeze the budget. If not, then keep the money and save up for 5800X3D or other even newer CPUs later on.

Hello! I am upgrading my GPU to an RTX 3070 from an old GTX 1050 however I'm not sure how much I should worry about the CPU bottleneck. I have an Ryzen 4500 6core CPU. How much will the CPU be bottlenecked? I am looking forward to playing on an 1920x1080 FHD and on at least 120FPS. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Skell3to said:

Hello! I am upgrading my GPU to an RTX 3070 from an old GTX 1050 however I'm not sure how much I should worry about the CPU bottleneck. I have an Ryzen 4500 6core CPU. How much will the CPU be bottlenecked? I am looking forward to playing on an 1920x1080 FHD and on at least 120FPS. Thanks!

why a 3070 and not 6700xt?

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

4 minutes ago, Skell3to said:

3070 probably won't achieve 120 FPS on most games, also yes there will be a bottleneck but it doesnt not cause issues, it justs limits how well your GPU performs. 

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

10 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

why a 3070 and not 6700xt?

I don't want to worry about gpu upgrades for a long while that's why I'm shooting for a high end one

9 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

3070 probably won't achieve 120 FPS on most games, also yes there will be a bottleneck but it doesnt not cause issues, it justs limits how well your GPU performs. 

Alright thanks! And, it won't? I saw benchmarks where the 3070 went over 200fps just alright

7 minutes ago, Skell3to said:

How much it will bottleneck? Impossible to grade that without knowing your games, your preferred detail level etc.

1080p for 120FPS is doable on the 3070, at most you will see some asset loading issue (decompression, data fetch-pass through). Unless you know what to look for, Id wager you would have no idea what causes the low performance. 

Ryzen 4500 is a lower mid-tier CPU on the PCI-e 3.0 bus. No resizable BAR, no direct access anything. 3070 is for sure much better than a 1050, but dont get your hopes up for a miracle.

6 minutes ago, Skell3to said:

I don't want to worry about gpu upgrades for a long while that's why I'm shooting for a high end one

6700xt zill go way longer than 3070

its more powerfull and has 4gb more vram

its litteraly in all aspects except ray tracing better

its better brother, 6750xt, for only 20-50 bucks more sometimes beats the 3070 ti

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

2 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

its better brother, 6750xt, for only 20-50 bucks more sometimes beats the 3070 ti

Thanks for the recommendation but I'm already going with the rtx 3070, I'm more familiar with the driver installation and I have very bad Experience with Radeon GPU's

Just now, Skell3to said:

Thanks for the recommendation but I'm already going with the rtx 3070, I'm more familiar with the driver installation and I have very bad Experience with Radeon GPU's

yea probably gpus from 10 years ago

for the price of a 3070 u can get a 6800xt wich is equivalent to 3080

trust me 3070 is not worth it anymore, neither is it high end anymore

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

4 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

Agreed, I wouldn't call a 3070 a "high end card" at all, it's a good 1080p card capable of 1440p but with possible VRAM issues then...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Agreed, I wouldn't call a 3070 a "high end card" at all, it's a good 1080p card capable of 1440p but with possible VRAM issues then...

indeed

id say any games dating back to 2021 will have vram issues on anything higher than low settings if it was made by an AAA studio

also, you may think vram issues arent serius, they are, they really are, they can make your entire system lag and freeze if you alt tab for up to a minute (was that bad with me once) qnd the world of the game will not even render in half the time

are you really wanting to spend more money on a way worse deal because you are somewhat more acustomed to interface? (always owned nvidia btw, recently switched to amd and the drivers and software is WAYYY more user friendly)

if you want longevity, amd is the way to go, nvidia is the apple of hardware, they do not like consumers.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

29 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

the 3070 will hit 120+ FPS in the fast majority of games at 1080P, sure new(er) AAA games might not hit that mark (or potential VRAM issues) but the majority will. (even did that for me at 1440P) 

2 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

are you really wanting to spend more money on a way worse deal because you are somewhat more acustomed to interface? (always owned nvidia btw, recently switched to amd and the drivers and software is WAYYY more user friendly)

I guess there is no point trying to convince someone who has already made up their mind. Especially if said person has had a bad experience with AMD cards before.

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

Well I'm considering it lol GTX 1050 is the only card I had from them and never had any issues, but if the VRAM issues are that bad on the newer versions I guess I should really go for the Radeon and give it another chance. Just worried it will perform worse that's all.

I'm looking on the SAPPHIRE nitro+ RX 6750 XT Gaming OC , It seems decent and has the same recommended wattage as the 3070 cause I already picked a PSU. What's y'all thoughts on this one?

Just now, Skell3to said:

Well I'm considering it lol GTX 1050 is the only card I had from them and never had any issues, but if the VRAM issues are that bad on the newer versions I guess I should really go for the Radeon and give it another chance. Just worried it will perform worse that's all.

What's your budget exactly ? Really I think the best "hi end" card that can last long is the 6800XT,for $50 more than a 3070 at $500

+25% performance

*double* VRAM !!

image.png.6bfc0ee66ec527743f430a060f6e20fa.png

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What's your budget exactly ? Really I think the best "hi end" card that can last long is the 6800XT,for $50 more than a 3070 at $500

+25% performance

*double* VRAM !!

image.png.6bfc0ee66ec527743f430a060f6e20fa.png

My budget is currently 560$ and the RX 6800 doesn't fit that

10 minutes ago, Skell3to said:

As a daily driver of R9 390X for 7 years, the 7900XTX i bought this february with January drivers have given me much less headache than old drivers. Games that dont have direct support anymore have little glitches but all run so far with little to no headaches

I'm most likely going with the 6750XT I don't see myself playing new AAA games at ultra so I think this one will do just alright, unless?

5 minutes ago, Skell3to said:

I'm most likely going with the 6750XT I don't see myself playing new AAA games at ultra so I think this one will do just alright, unless?

Its a decent investment for the next 3-4 years minimum and will work good with a CPU upgrade since its PCI-e 4.0. Plus, it will hold value much better down the line.

15 minutes ago, Skell3to said:

My budget is currently 560$ and the RX 6800 doesn't fit that

Yeah, agreed. Find the cheapest 6700XT or 6750XT you can find and then slap a 5500 or 5600 CPU upgrade alongside that. Itll be a pretty superb 1080p machine for a while. Im personally running 5500 6700XT combo right now and playing Fortnite with a pretty competitive settings at consistent 144fps.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Alright, but will it run about good with the current CPU? which is ryzen 5 4500

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Yeah, agreed. Find the cheapest 6700XT or 6750XT you can find and then slap a 5500 or 5600 CPU upgrade alongside that. Itll be a pretty superb 1080p machine for a while. Im personally running 5500 6700XT combo right now and playing Fortnite with a pretty competitive settings at consistent 144fps.

1 minute ago, Skell3to said:

Alright, but will it run about good with the current CPU? which is ryzen 5 4500

Its essentially an even worse Ryzen 5 3600. Itll be fine right now but at 1080p you'll want the CPU upgrade now rather than soon.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Its essentially an even worse Ryzen 5 3600. Itll be fine right now but at 1080p you'll want the CPU upgrade now rather than soon.

Alright thanks! So I should get the ryzen 5600x with it?

Just now, Skell3to said:

Alright thanks! So I should get the ryzen 5600 with it?

If you can squeeze the budget. If not, then keep the money and save up for 5800X3D or other even newer CPUs later on.

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Alright will do. Thanks!