Check Steam protonDB for playing Windows game on Linux!

I'm posting this in Windows so that more people see it, might also cross-post into General if that is acceptable.

Go to https://protondb.con/ and type in any "Windows" game you can think of and check out the compatibility rating.  It's actually any steam store game, so there's a lot that's not searchable, like Forza Horizon 2 or games released some time ago.

I want to encourage you all to try Linux and steam on Linux to check compatibility and maybe not even need to use Windows for games

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

Moved to Linux section and no cross posting is not allowed. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

On 6/20/2023 at 5:35 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

Moved to Linux section

Can we work out a way to more easily share this with the Windows crowd who might have no idea that Linux even exists?  There are a lor of people who have no idea, or think it's just too difficult.

There is so much dedication to Linux that it is unbelievable and it would be great to share this information with those who are unaware.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

1 minute ago, E-waste said:

Can we work out a way to more easily share this with the Windows crowd who might have no idea that Linux even exists?  There are a lor of people who have no idea, or think it's just too difficult.

There is so much dedication to Linux that it is unbelievable and it would be great to share this information with those who are unaware.

No. If people are interested in it, they will ask for it. No need to force feed them something they're not interested in. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

On 6/22/2023 at 9:36 AM, E-waste said:

There are a lor of people who have no idea, or think it's just too difficult.

While I'll give credit where it's due, I will say that for a lot of games it's still a pain.

With the effort from Steam, it's brought a lot of development to getting Windows games running under [some distros of] Linux, there's still too much fragmentation and issues.

A lot of popular games will never run under Linux (i.e. Activation/Blizzard), and others that run but are buggy to be fun.

I've gone through this experience lately trying to make an honest go of making the transition but just found too many irregularities to make it sustainable for me.

Look forward to the further development, but this is still far away from being a serious consideration for a lot of PC gamers.

6 hours ago, BasicWombat said:

A lot of popular games will never run under Linux (i.e. Activation/Blizzard)

Pretty sure all of the "Blizzard" side games run fine under WINE/Proton. Even Diablo 4 which just released, I have a friend playing it on Steam Deck. I've personally played Heroes of the Storm on Linux Mint.

7 hours ago, thevictor390 said:

Pretty sure all of the "Blizzard" side games run fine under WINE/Proton. Even Diablo 4 which just released, I have a friend playing it on Steam Deck. I've personally played Heroes of the Storm on Linux Mint.

I stand corrected

More and more I find myself asking the question "but why!?"

Don't get me wrong, I've used Wine 15 years ago.  I even had Cedega, the paid flavor for gaming, which predates Proton by like a decade.

With Microsoft practically giving away the operating system and availability of tools to customize (read: unbreak) it, I see no point in going through the pains of emulation (Wine can call itself a compatibility layer, but there is still an emulation/API translation aspect happening).

Linux runs so well in a virtual machine, why not just use it like that?

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

On 6/21/2023 at 4:39 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

No. If people are interested in it, they will ask for it. No need to force feed them something they're not interested in. 

I wish I could agree with and like your post at the same time.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

22 hours ago, r00tb33r said:

Linux runs so well in a virtual machine, why not just use it like that?

Because running on bare metal is still better rather than a VM.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, BasicWombat said:

While I'll give credit where it's due, I will say that for a lot of games it's still a pain.

With the effort from Steam, it's brought a lot of development to getting Windows games running under [some distros of] Linux, there's still too much fragmentation and issues.

A lot of popular games will never run under Linux (i.e. Activation/Blizzard), and others that run but are buggy to be fun.

I've gone through this experience lately trying to make an honest go of making the transition but just found too many irregularities to make it sustainable for me.

Look forward to the further development, but this is still far away from being a serious consideration for a lot of PC gamers.

i dont know about activision / blizzard

but i have more success with

- microsofts minecraft and halo master chief collection than i do ubisoft's launcher, granted i might not be able to play multi-player on halo's masterchief collection but that doesnt faze me

- epic and gog games via heroic launcher or through something called bottles again multi-player and or anti-cheat might be an issue

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch