Intel Invests in Self-Driving Car Technology

JAKEBAB

ZMP, a Japanese robotics company who in 2006 released the humanoid robot ‘nuvo’ and who is working on autonomous vehicle technology, has gained investment from Intel Capital.

While the exact amount invested hasn’t been disclosed the investment made from the Intel Capital Connected Car Fund will be used to help ZMP accelerate the development of autonomous and assisted driving technologies.

So this is going to be a thing by the looks of it and i bet google is probably slamming there heads against the wall right now saying why didnt we give more info on ours earlier and worked with car manufactures already. personally i find it interesting and i see the use cases but at the same time i hate it as im a car lover and this just takes any fun out of driving :S

Edit: so i think alot of u are thinking that this means there will be a car driving completely by its self and u can just sit there and be doing something completely different i dont think that is the case i think for self driving cars u will still have to sit in the front seat and monitor maybe u can now be on the phone but i still think u will need to have your eyes on the road and there will be a manual override so u can drive yourself just in case of emergencies kinda like irobot.

Source:http://transportevolved.com/2014/05/12/intel-invests-in-self-driving-car-technology/

No way I'm ever letting a car drive me.

I rode a self-driving car yesterday. It was called "Taxi".

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I wanna see the first cop that pulls over a self driving car and the owner is in the back and no one in the front lol, Owner can tell the cop the driver got out and ran away

No way I'm ever letting a car drive me.

Why not? The main cause of accidents are stupid people, who are either too drunk or tired. A robot if programmed correctly is a much better driver than a person will ever be.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Why not? The main cause of accidents are stupid people, who are either too drunk or tired. A robot if programmed correctly is a much better driver than a person will ever be.

not in australia the main cause is dickhead 17yr olds think there the next drift king and have the obsession with burn outs and ruin it for the real car enthusiasts -_- 

well I like driving so all the others can happily go let their cars drive them around, I'm staying behind the wheel.

I agree. But autonomous cars will not become a mainstream consumer transport. 50% of plane crashes are down to pilot error. Planes can and have been for a long time, able to take off, fly and land themselves. 

So why don't we remove pilots and halve plane crashes? Because people will not get on a plane that isn't controlled by a human. 

The same theory will apply to autonomous cars. The general mass will not purchase them because they want to be in control. Communities will not enforce their use because they will want to retain supremacy of human control. 

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Integrate a function where you can stop auto drive and be able to drive yourself, and I would be happy to buy one later on it life. Unless they invent horverboards....

What if someone hacked your car though? What then?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Computer systems can fail just like people. But when my self driving car fails I might be reading a book and still die.. but when I fail automated breaks might kick in and I survive. So I'd rather see asisted driving over fully automonous driving.

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93