*solved* ASUS TUF Z690 NO POST, WHITE LED, NO VIDEO SIGNAL

apacheap
Go to solution Solved by Robchil,
On 6/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, apacheap said:

Hi guys,

It is my first pc build and I am honestly really sad and worried about this. 

Specs:
i7 12700KF
ASUS TUF z690 d4 wifi
GIGABYTE RTX 3070ti
corsair rm850x

Crucial SSD P3 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3 1 TB 
Corsair vengeance lpx 2x16gb

What happened?
So, I was building the PC and I decided to first test everything out of the case on the test bench. I could not post and the white led on the motherboard indicated a VGA problem was on. I got really worried and tried a couple of more times. Then I accidentally touched the "reboot" pins instead of the "turn on" pins with my screwdriver and it posted to bios.
Since i thought that just rebooting it will fix the issue when I put it into the case I went to sleep and continued on the next day. 
Today I put everything into the case and got the same error with a white led and no post. I tried rebooting it both with the button on the front panel and with the screwdriver on the pins, but it didn't help.

Troubleshooting: 
1) Taking out and inserting the GPU back on 
2) Reconnecting all of the PSU cables
3) Trying to post on only 1 stick of ram put in the recommended slot 
4) Rebooting the PC with the button and with the pins directly 

5) Flashing the bios (both with the pins connecting and by taking the battery out)
6) Tryied booting without the GPU at all, it posts but there is of course no video since there is no VGA (second picture, the white led is on but the green for boot is on as well)

Please, someone, help, I am getting pretty helpless here, I do not have a different GPU or CPU to try booting the PC. The part that gets me the most worried is that it did boot randomly yesterday on a test bench after I just randomly touched the boot and reboot pins with the screwdriver.

PXL_20230610_132728163.MP.jpg

I just saw you are using a pigtailed PCIE cable to both GPU power ports.. don't do that. use two separate, i think i saw another with the same issue on here with a 3070 recently. if you only have pigtailed PCIE cables. use two.. just don't use the second powerplug. 

each power plug can deliver 150watt.. but the cable from the PSU can only deliver 250watt.. so if it wants 300 watt you need 2 cables. 

Hi guys,

Specs:
i7 12700KF
ASUS TUF z690 d4 wifi
GIGABYTE RTX 3070ti
corsair rm850x

What happened?
So, I was building the PC and I decided to first test everything out of the case on the test bench. I could not post and the white led on the motherboard indicated a VGA problem was on. I got really worried and tried a couple of more times. Then I accidentally touched the "reboot" pins instead of the "turn on" pins with my screwdriver and it posted to bios.
Since i thought that just rebooting it will fix the issue when I put it into the case I went to sleep and continued on the next day. 
Today I put everything into the case and got the same error with a white led and no post. I tried rebooting it both with the button on the front panel and with the screwdriver on the pins, but it didn't help.

Troubleshooting: 

5) Flashing the bios (both with the pins connecting and by taking the battery out)
6) Tryied booting without the GPU at all, it posts but there is of course no video since there is no VGA (second picture, the white led is on but the green for boot is on as well)

Please, someone, help, I am getting pretty helpless here, I do not have a different GPU or CPU to try booting the PC. The part that gets me the most worried is that it did boot randomly yesterday on a test bench after I just randomly touched the boot and reboot pins with the screwdriver.

PXL_20230610_141533310.MP.jpg

22 minutes ago, bezza... said:

seems like a dead gpu? is it new

Yep, all of the parts are new.

At the beginning thought that it may be dead as well, but then it posted and displayed the bios without any issues. But couldn't get it to post after putting it in the case

18 minutes ago, apacheap said:

Yep, all of the parts are new.

At the beginning thought that it may be dead as well, but then it posted and displayed the bios without any issues. But couldn't get it to post after putting it in the case

reseat it and the power cables

1 minute ago, bezza... said:

reseat it and the power cables

I have reseated it in the same PCI slot already a couple of times 

I can try to put it in the lower slot, but I would need to take everything out of the case, because the GPU won't fit 

2 minutes ago, apacheap said:

I have reseated it in the same PCI slot already a couple of times 

I can try to put it in the lower slot, but I would need to take everything out of the case, because the GPU won't fit 

have you reset cmos

4 minutes ago, bezza... said:

have you reset cmos

Yeah, did that as well, with taking the battery out of the motherboard 

4 hours ago, apacheap said:

Yeah, did that as well, with taking the battery out of the motherboard 

i would try another GPU at this time.. 

Update: 

So, I don't know how this is even possible, but I did get it post once again on the test bench. The bottom PCIe slot worked fine, I was able to post and update the bios. Then I have set the PCIe 16x to GEN1, so that the first slot would work. I have put my GPU there and it worked just fine multiple times.

But once I've put it back in the case I got the white LED once again and I am unable to post.

Still need help

PXL_20230611_131730506.MP.jpg

On 6/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, apacheap said:

Hi guys,

Specs:
i7 12700KF
ASUS TUF z690 d4 wifi
GIGABYTE RTX 3070ti
corsair rm850x

What happened?

Troubleshooting: 

I just saw you are using a pigtailed PCIE cable to both GPU power ports.. don't do that. use two separate, i think i saw another with the same issue on here with a 3070 recently. if you only have pigtailed PCIE cables. use two.. just don't use the second powerplug. 

each power plug can deliver 150watt.. but the cable from the PSU can only deliver 250watt.. so if it wants 300 watt you need 2 cables. 

5 hours ago, Robchil said:

This. I’m surprised you got it to post at all.

13 hours ago, Robchil said:

Well GPU is also getting power from PCIe slot. Up to 75W. 

I run 3070 with a single pigtailed PCIe power cable , no issues whatsoever. Card performs at expected level with ~260w power draw.

I guess as long as PSU is of quality brand you are fine under 300w with a single daisychained cable.

GPU : RTX 3070 Gaming X TRIO | CPU : Ryzen 5 7600 \ COOLER : Deepcool AK620 | MOBO : ASUS TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 16GBx2 6200 MHz \ Storage : Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB \ PSU : Corsair TX750M | CASE : Be Quite! Pure Base 500DX Black

1 hour ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

Well GPU is also getting power from PCIe slot. Up to 75W. 

I run 3070 with a single pigtailed PCIe power cable , no issues whatsoever. Card performs at expected level with ~260w power draw.

I guess as long as PSU is of quality brand you are fine under 300w with a single daisychained cable.

powerdraw varies from card to card..  if you have problems with a pigtail.. try two cables. if not .. don't bother. 

Hey guys, 
Thank you all for your advice 🙂

I tried booting it with 2 separate PCI-E cables from the PSU, but it didn't post anyway. Ended up returning both the GPU and the motherboard because that inconsistency in booting was really worrying. 
With a new motherboard and the GPU (same models), it posted on the first try and I had no troubles with anything whatsoever. Once again thanks everyone for the help! 

P.S. be very careful with buying parts from amazon, even if it's from official vendors