US lawyer sorry after ChatGPT creates 'bogus' cases

New York Lawyer uses ChatGPT to search for relevant cases to his upcoming case and gets completely rekd https://techxplore.com/news/2023-06-lawyer-chatgpt-bogus-cases.html?utm_source=spiceworks-snap

Summary

ChatGPT created fake legal cases to support his arguments and the Lawyer submitted them to the court without doing any further research!... *FacePalm* ... he later states he thought ChatGPT was a "reliable search engine" ... WHO TOLD YOU THAT????  

i heard this on the radio at work, and i had to briefly put down my tools to laugh at this news before continuing my dayjob.

this is how i imagine 90% of the businesses ditching employees for ChatGPT will end up.

That's the problem with these things, as its sourcing from the web it has no way of knowing if one source is real and one source is fiction.  Its why I do not think AI is ever going to be a good solution as it needs to be trained on ONLY trusted sources, and what even is that these days?

I mean the whole nature of it is its aggregating multiple sources so can easily turn into a work of fiction.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

- Moved to Programs Websites and Apps -

Your post does not follow the guidelines for Tech News, please don't stray from the default format provided.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

27 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's the problem with these things, as its sourcing from the web it has no way of knowing if one source is real and one source is fiction.  Its why I do not think AI is ever going to be a good solution as it needs to be trained on ONLY trusted sources, and what even is that these days?

I mean the whole nature of it is its aggregating multiple sources so can easily turn into a work of fiction.

It also just flat out makes shit up as it goes. It's been proven to do that a ton.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It also just flat out makes shit up as it goes. It's been proven to do that a ton.

i assume it "forgets" it's looking up factual information, and goes into "writing a story" mode.

both of those quoted words ofcourse being quite human interpretations of bugs in software.

Next up on "this was an inevitable stupid thing that would happen because we call ChatGPT 'AI' instead of an adaptive language model"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad