New NAS for home

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

unraid? Works pretty well with mixed drive sizes, and nice web interface.

You can't use your nas to add space to google, it will work as its own space. You can use apps for a good like experience though, lie next cloud.

Hi, I recently build NAS, but I can't find any user friendly software. I tried Linux, but it's not best OS for me. I want it for plex, network shared folders and for adding space to my Google account. Right now it's running on windows 10 home. Specs: i5 6500, 8GB 2400Mhz ram, 4TB (500GB ssd, 500GB HDD, 2TB hdd and 1TB HDD). 

I looked at TrueNAS, but I want to be sure. Any suggestions? 

unraid? Works pretty well with mixed drive sizes, and nice web interface.

You can't use your nas to add space to google, it will work as its own space. You can use apps for a good like experience though, lie next cloud.

Normally I'd recommend TrueNAS Scale, but you have mixed hard drives and it's not really made for that. (ZFS works best when you deploy multiple identical drives at once.)

Unraid lets you mix disks and grow dynamically, but I haven't used it myself.

Windows is perfectly fine for what you say you want to do with it. I'd recommend keeping the Plex metadata on the SSD, it will make the interfaces on your client devices feel a lot more responsive.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I'd also suggest unraid for the hardware you have, IE a mix of old drives.

I love TrueNAS Scale and Core, but I tend to use that on old server hardware and identical disk sets, and prefer unraid on old desktop hardware.

I can't comment on truenas but I am a fan of unraid, I currently have two servers running it. With any setup there will be a learning curve to get started and the Unraid facebook group and forum are very helpful. You can also check out Space Invader and Byte my bits, I used their videos to get mine started. You do have to pay to use unraid but you can get a trial for free and they let me extend it a few times till I was sure I wanted to use it. Overall it is pretty straight forward and user friendly. It will let you add mixed drives and expand it down the road. You will want the parity drive to be the largest drive though, it will limit what drives you can add down the road. If you can I would look at possibly getting a 4tb or 8tb they currently seem to be a good price to size. This way you can add a drive equal to or smaller then this. You can use the ssds as a cache or unassigned drive. I keep my dockers and vms on my cache drive and use the unassigned drives for storage that I don't want on the array such as my security cameras storage.

As another user mentioned you can't add it to your google storage but their are alternatives to use it as your own cloud storage