What could've caused this bend?

Jaga848

Hey everyone!

I recently bought a used Gigabyte RX 6600. It was used for mining, but the seller said that the card had never been opened or tinkered with in any way, it was just mining as part of a mining rig.

When I got it, I noticed that the PCB above the "radeon" writing was bent in a weird way, it didn't look like bending caused by gpu sag (the card isn't that heavy anyways), and if the seller isn't lying to me and the card has truly never been opened, that eliminates the possibility of bending caused by thermal pads of the wrong size, overscrewing etc.

The card works fine so far but I'm afraid of the possible damage caused by the bend.

Does anyone have any idea what could've caused this?

PXL_20230530_123923472.jpg

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

Zotac Gtx 1050 ti 4 gb OC

8 gb Kingston Fury HyperX DDR4

1 TB Western Digital Purple HDD

Water is one.  High heat is another.

Mining rig usually means “in someone’s unfinished basement or a corrugated steel shack somewhere amongst hundreds of others with no human even looking at it for months on end” some are treated well and are with buying. Some aren’t.   this one apparently wasn’t.  If the thing works and the bend doesn’t change it will keep working. I suspect it’s capacity for absorbing abuse has been pushed to the limit though.  Something to be careful with.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Looks fine to me. If it was a mining rig its probably extreme heat, but the bend isn't that bad.

4 hours ago, BairdGoW said:

Looks fine to me. If it was a mining rig its probably extreme heat, but the bend isn't that bad.

Well not if the thing is still working.  Copper stretches a little.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.