intel vs amd

this subject has been posted many times before and it will continue to be posted so long as intel and amd are rivals in the CPU market but this is not about "my intel is better than your amd" or "no my amd is better than your intel" that is NOT what i want as i dont want this to be locked because you people who do read this cant be polite to each other

. i am looking for any info you people are willing to give on the subject though like what are the pros and cons of each CPU, what your personal experience has been with ohe, the other or both. etc. i am looking to upgrade my PC in a few months and making this as one of my research tools to help me decide because to be honest my only experience with aMD is a cheap 200 laptop that was mainly used by someone for the occasional video chat or playing some low graphics games.

ETA: my current build is as follows

MB: MSI z370 gaming plus

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz

GPU: EVGA 2070 super FTW3

PSU: EVGA supernova 1000G+

CASE: corsair 1000D super tower

RAM: PNY - XLR8 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 DRAM (PC4-25600) CL16 1.35V

i think for the most part but why i am looking for info and doing research is i am thinking of either a 7 or 9 CPU from either company because most games today require at least a 7. Of course with either i will have to upgrade the MB and right now kind of thinking of a z790 series from intel but not sure what would be the same for AMD. i do like how MSI leveled their boards. what i mean by this is MSI has the MAG (base level) MPG (mid level) and MEG (high level) according to them. but i havent dealt with any other companies because this is not my first custom build but my first computer was a prebuilt one from best buy that worked for years but like everything in the computer world, it got real old real quick.

8 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i am looking for any info you people are willing to give on the subject though like what are the pros and cons of each CPU, …

That question would make sense if AMD and Intel each only manufactured a single CPU. To make a comparison, you'd need to be looking at specific CPU models. The difference essentially always comes down to absolute performance and price/performance.

There's virtually nothing an AMD CPU can do that an Intel CPU can't and vice versa (at least in the consumer space), so at the end of the day it comes down to: How much money are you willing to spend on a CPU, which model offers the best bang for the buck at that price point.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

There really isn't a general 'One is good at this thing, the other is good at that thing' answer that you can't give. There are a couple workloads where one is decisively better (there's 1-2 applications that only work on Intel stuff or only on AMD stuff, but they're incredibly rare), but it more comes down to the actual chip per chip variants than anything else.

If you really want opinions about both companies processors in general terms, I've used both, I have machines deployed for 24/7 use with both, and the only real difference is how the BIOS is organized and some of the behavior when tuning. If you just sit me down in front of a system, tell me to use it, and block out Settings/Device Manager/Anything else that lets you see the CPU model, there's no way I'd be able to tell if it's one or the other. 

Maybe 25 years ago one or the other company would have some sort of advantage with extensions like mmx or 3d now

But these days they are interchangeable and choice has more to do with what you're doing and what kind of speed or upgrade path you want vs any sort of advantage one or the other company has. Those days are long gone.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Maybe 25 years ago one or the other company would have some sort of advantage with extensions like mmx or 3d now

The most recent feature disparity must've been AVX-1/-2/-512, where Intel were the ones to introduce these, while AMD played catch up. Meanwhile Intel has removed AVX-512 from their latest consumer CPUs, while AMD added it

However it is very rare for software to make such a feature a hard requirement until it is well established, because otherwise you're excluding every potential customer with an older system.

So, at best, CPUs with a temporary exclusive feature enjoy some performance benefit in specific use cases. Until the other manufacturer catches up again.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Last year Tom's Hardware had a great article literally answering this question.  As you can see from the article, there isn't a clear winner overall but rather better products at better price points. 

So if you want a real answer to this question you've gotta include some details about your budget and your intended workloads. Recommendations here will differ a lot if you're web development on a $5000 budget vs gaming on $1000.

On 6/2/2023 at 12:58 AM, Eigenvektor said:

That question would make sense if AMD and Intel each only manufactured a single CPU. To make a comparison, you'd need to be looking at specific CPU models. The difference essentially always comes down to absolute performance and price/performance.

There's virtually nothing an AMD CPU can do that an Intel CPU can't and vice versa (at least in the consumer space), so at the end of the day it comes down to: How much money are you willing to spend on a CPU, which model offers the best bang for the buck at that price point.

you are right in that i could have said that "i am looking for specific CPU models from X to X" but i am more looking for general info and what people have experienced with each one. me personally i have never owned an AMD CPU other than the one that came in the $200 laptop i found while cleaning out an abandoned car that was headed to the auction. so i have no real experience that can compare the 2 CPUs to. the only thing i know about the laptop CPU is that its an AM4 but because the laptop is so cheap, it doesnt give me more info than that.

On 6/2/2023 at 1:05 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

There really isn't a general 'One is good at this thing, the other is good at that thing' answer that you can't give. There are a couple workloads where one is decisively better (there's 1-2 applications that only work on Intel stuff or only on AMD stuff, but they're incredibly rare), but it more comes down to the actual chip per chip variants than anything else.

If you really want opinions about both companies processors in general terms, I've used both, I have machines deployed for 24/7 use with both, and the only real difference is how the BIOS is organized and some of the behavior when tuning. If you just sit me down in front of a system, tell me to use it, and block out Settings/Device Manager/Anything else that lets you see the CPU model, there's no way I'd be able to tell if it's one or the other. 

thank you and that would be me too. if you just placed a computer in front of me ant told me to use it, i would have no ideas which is which without actually trying to find out but like i said above, i have only had intel CPUs and have no real experince with AMD mainly because the the laptop only had 4GB of RAM (who makes a laptop today with only 4gb?). i mean i get it if you just want a laptop to give to your grandparent so they can talk to you or your kids but 4GB doesnt allow you to do anything more than 1 at a time. 

On 6/2/2023 at 1:09 AM, emosun said:

But these days they are interchangeable and choice has more to do with what you're doing and what kind of speed or upgrade path you want vs any sort of advantage one or the other company has. Those days are long gone.

well to be honest, about 10 years ago my sisters now long time ex boyfriend was in the USAF working with computers and he told me not to get AMD stuff as it wasnt as good as intel but he had a whole different thing he had to do with it. for me i mainly game so looking for something that is powerful enough to do that but not really competitive games like Fortnite, CSGO, apex, etc..

On 6/2/2023 at 4:55 AM, maplepants said:

Last year Tom's Hardware had a great article literally answering this question.  As you can see from the article, there isn't a clear winner overall but rather better products at better price points. 

So if you want a real answer to this question you've gotta include some details about your budget and your intended workloads. Recommendations here will differ a lot if you're web development on a $5000 budget vs gaming on $1000.

thank you and i probably should have but for the most part was just looking for some general info on the subject so i will be looking at that article soon. 

I would have no problems buying either AMD or Intel. 

I might even try an AMD GPU, but I am scared of disappointment, like last time.

I took a chance building with AMD in 2020.. it turned out to be just as, if not more stable than any of my previous Intel builds.

And at the time, there wasn't anything faster.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's