solder and flux quetion

thrasher_565
12 hours ago, RollyShed said:

You say "no flux is the key".

No, that is wrong, flux is the key.

The solder should have enough flux in it.

<redacted>

I now always use a cheap soldering iron, 25 watts though 30 watts might be a bit better. I can use a cheap one because I know how to solder and have been doing it for about 70 years. The last job I did was yesterday, a circuit board and connections to it. A work we had temperature controlled soldering irons and they were good for the job.

My solder is 0.8 mm, resin core, tin/lead.

Duratech make good solder, 1mm, tin/lead and I suspect that is the brand I have though most of the label fell off a couple of decades ago.

The comment about "don't start by melting solder on the tip of the iron" is wrong. The tip needs to be "wetted" so it makes good thermal contact.

The solder is then melted on to the wire. You "tin" the wire and then solder the "wetted" wire to the contact.

the no should be know in lazzy

i no how tining works but if your solder wont stick then it wont work... wont stick to the wire and then your heating it for like 30 seconds trying to get it off the iron... and i no 2 seconds is what you sould be doing to melt the solder... so any flux left is gone and its going to be crap solder not only that it heats up the connetor and heats up the wire and can melt the ruber a bit.

anyway i went with the best iron out there for the money hako so i cant use that as why i cant solder...

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

-= Cleaned =-

Keep your comments to the subject at hand. Underhanded or subtle attacks towards others will be removed with prejudice. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER