Future proof for how long?

MDA1998
Go to solution Solved by johnno23,

nope......... 40 series are totally over priced and any benefit you get is minimal unless you start going 4k.

your system can handle almost anything you throw at it with 1080p and pretty much all games at high settings on a 1440p.

just dont fall into the ultra setting trap.........Ultra is almost impossible to see in a game when running compared to high settings.

And even then you can just drop the shadows to medium and gain a few FPS.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That is the type of "future-proofing" I see people do all the time, and it doesn't work. The better advice would be "buy a 4070 Ti when you start playing 1440p games instead of preemptively buying it", because all those MIGHT and IFs might never occur, and if they do occur the price of the 4070 Ti might have gone down a lot or maybe we even have a 5070 Ti which gives higher performance per dollar.

You see this here and on PCMR a lot. "What do I upgrade next", without even assessing current performance. You can endlessly throw money at a computer until you have just about the most expensive, fastest computer in existence, but that's hardly a viable tactic for real world people with real world budget limitations. While it's pretty simple:

Is your computer running the games (or other tasks) you're currently playing at an acceptable performance level?

Yes? > It's fine.

No? And have money to spend? > Actually look at what's not acceptable, and consider addressing that by upgrading.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:20 AM, LAwLz said:

"Future proofing" usually just ends up being an excuse used by people to justify buying more expensive things than they actually need.

The struggle is real.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)