Standalone watercooling controller (Aquaero?)

Hello there,

I want to say that I'm aware that my mainbaord can controll pumps and such, but this wouldn't be standalone but plugged into a mainboard aka PC.

I want to build a standalone watercooling system that is disconnected from the PC.

Why?

This system will be used inside a Gaming VAN and if something breaks in the woods, it's kinda hard to fix it.

My mainboard died 2 weeks ago and all the settings were lost, with a standalone solution this wouldnt happen, all I would need to set is the linear fan "curve".

I also use Linux so 95% of all the software that is out there doesn't work.

How will I get the system temperature?
I will use an arduino uno that will read the voltage of the fan header that will be set linear

0v = 0c, 12v = 100c

voltage * 8.333 = temp in celsius

The arduino would also compare the GPU and CPU temperature and report the highest to the controller via a header, temp sensor header etc.

So my idea is as follows:

Radiator IN temp sensor

Radiator Out temp sensor

Arduino (max (CPU temp | GPU temp)) 2 pin out

Flow sensor

My idea was to use an Aquaero with a display, but i'm not sure if this is the right way, or maybe i should use a RPI Zero or similar.

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

18 minutes ago, BotDamian said:

Hello there,

I want to say that I'm aware that my mainbaord can controll pumps and such, but this wouldn't be standalone but plugged into a mainboard aka PC.

I want to build a standalone watercooling system that is disconnected from the PC.

Why?

This system will be used inside a Gaming VAN and if something breaks in the woods, it's kinda hard to fix it.

My mainboard died 2 weeks ago and all the settings were lost, with a standalone solution this wouldnt happen, all I would need to set is the linear fan "curve".

I also use Linux so 95% of all the software that is out there doesn't work.

How will I get the system temperature?
I will use an arduino uno that will read the voltage of the fan header that will be set linear

0v = 0c, 12v = 100c

voltage * 8.333 = temp in celsius

The arduino would also compare the GPU and CPU temperature and report the highest to the controller via a header, temp sensor header etc.

So my idea is as follows:

Radiator IN temp sensor

Radiator Out temp sensor

Arduino (max (CPU temp | GPU temp)) 2 pin out

Flow sensor

My idea was to use an Aquaero with a display, but i'm not sure if this is the right way, or maybe i should use a RPI Zero or similar.

I don't quite see the logic of "I want the cooling controls to be functional in case the main board breaks" --> If the mainboard is dead, why bother having a functional cooling system for it?

I control my watercooling system through BIOS using 2-pin temperature headers on the mainboard itself. In the past I have also integrated flow sensors through fan_headers. These are OS agnostic settings, so fan curves are applied across all OSes, including linux.

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I don't quite see the logic of "I want the cooling controls to be functional in case the main board breaks" --> If the mainboard is dead, why bother having a functional cooling system for it?

I control my watercooling system through BIOS using 2-pin temperature headers on the mainboard itself. In the past I have also integrated flow sensors through fan_headers. These are OS agnostic settings, so fan curves are applied across all OSes, including linux.

Because for example when I'm in span I wont bother setting all the curves inside BIOS, just throw out the old board and add a new board and it will be done.

BIOS updates might break the fan curves and put it back to stock, happen to me already on multiple computers.

If you know a better way where swapping a mainboard doesn't break all the fan curves etc, I'm open to hear about it, because my idea is a lot of work and I'm lazy.

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

14 minutes ago, BotDamian said:

I wont bother setting all the curves inside BIOS,

then.. dont bother, and just run the default? it's good enough.

27 minutes ago, BotDamian said:

Because for example when I'm in span I wont bother setting all the curves inside BIOS, just throw out the old board and add a new board and it will be done.

BIOS updates might break the fan curves and put it back to stock, happen to me already on multiple computers.

If you know a better way where swapping a mainboard doesn't break all the fan curves etc, I'm open to hear about it, because my idea is a lot of work and I'm lazy.

IIRC most BIOSes I have dealt with let you save profiles on USB sticks that you can load up quickly. I personally think the chances of a small controller dying is much higher than a well-cooled motherboard dying, so to me it feels like your solution to the problem is simply another point of failure.

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

IIRC most BIOSes I have dealt with let you save profiles on USB sticks that you can load up quickly. I personally think the chances of a small controller dying is much higher than a well-cooled motherboard dying, so to me it feels like your solution to the problem is simply another point of failure.

It depends, because if you say it like this, it might sound like a small controller is of lower quality, but in fact, my RPI4 8GB that Ive bought few years ago, runs 24/7 with Home Assistant and hasn't died on me. While the more tech something has, the more things can fail, and AM5 mainboards have enough issues.

I also don't need quick connectors in my loop, i can disasseble the PC the normal way, but out of simplicity, unplugging 2 connectors from a terminal, pulling out a GPU and let it run on IGPU seems much easier. Please keep in mind that this system will run in a VAN and my VAN will be built very robust, basically an Apocalypse vehicle lol

Yes I'm into that shit xd

i dont no if aquacomputer can save the settings to the controller maybe maybe not. but there stuff is also not the best. so if you want to program an ardweno then do that i guess. thow i think it needs some battery to store the info i would think.

if your in a van i recommend the gpu vertical. ether with a bracket or case.  for blocks i would go the black acrylic, d5 pump. and compression barb fittings. you could add qdc or ball valves to make things easier but up to you.

my dad tried to hang the gpu to the side to test something and it moved it killed his pc so not recommend

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

13 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i dont no if aquacomputer can save the settings to the controller

quadro works (settings once configured is saved in onboard mem), i've tested running it separately from pc

not sure how long the settings will remain if left unpowered

ya just need to have 12v ac adapter that u can use converter to molex plug (i prefer 12v 6a)

oh if yer going the aquacomputer route, u can not use virtual sensors aka playground since those rely on WMI

op can check this link if he wanna configure arduino
https://projecthub.arduino.cc/seventz/62f80ebe-6532-4fb0-aa37-2e8cb0b64994

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

On 5/22/2023 at 5:25 AM, fonzz1e said:

op can check this link if he wanna configure arduino
https://projecthub.arduino.cc/seventz/62f80ebe-6532-4fb0-aa37-2e8cb0b64994

Thank you this actually amazing!