Not getting the same performance out of my pc after power outage.

Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,

That’s interesting your GPU utilization actually drops to less than 50% in game while clock speed and voltage increase. Power consumption is also down compared to the title screen by quite a bit.

Id reinstall windows. This is going to be hell to track down.

My specs : 
processor : i5 9600k oc to 4.9 ghz
ram : ddr4 hyper x predator 2999 mhz
moba : gigabyte z370 p d3
gpu : MSI rtx 3080 z trio
psu : corsair rm750x
i have a samsung evo 980 nvme and 2 regular ssd's 

My pc was performing great before the power outage and my pc being turned of mid gaming.all temps were good ,good performance and the gpu was slightly overclocked and the fans almost never went past 50 % on stock curve and temps were 70 at mid usage and 80 at high usage stable same for the processor.Idle temps are around 30 to 35 for cpu and 40to 45 for gpu w fans on 0%

So i was mid gaming and the house ran out of power for a moment and my pc turned off ofc and after that i booted it up everything was normal but when i entered apex legends and resident evil 4 remake 2 games that i play at the moment i saw huge performance drop in apex from 180 to 250 fps went to 90 to 120 and it's not smooth as it  should be also in resident evil 4 remake i got around 80 to 110 fps at max preset now i get 40fps .The gpu usage and power are much lower then they were but only when i enter the game as the gpu for example draws 360 w in the main menu of resident evil remake and around 320w in main menu of apex but after entering the game power usage doesn't go over 220 w

Please let me know any other information you need or for me to post . i use msi afterburner and intel extreme tuning utility to oc and monitor and also core temp for cpu temps

Try reinstalling your graphics drivers. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

21 minutes ago, skrrrt1 said:

My specs : 
processor : i5 9600k oc to 4.9 ghz
ram : ddr4 hyper x predator 2999 mhz
moba : gigabyte z370 p d3
gpu : MSI rtx 3080 z trio
i have a samsung evo 980 nvme and 2 regular ssd's 

My pc was performing great before the power outage and my pc being turned of mid gaming.all temps were good ,good performance and the gpu was slightly overclocked and the fans almost never went past 50 % on stock curve and temps were 70 at mid usage and 80 at high usage stable same for the processor.Idle temps are around 30 to 35 for cpu and 40to 45 for gpu w fans on 0%

So i was mid gaming and the house ran out of power for a moment and my pc turned off ofc and after that i booted it up everything was normal but when i entered apex legends and resident evil 4 remake 2 games that i play at the moment i saw huge performance drop in apex from 180 to 250 fps went to 90 to 120 and it's not smooth as it  should be also in resident evil 4 remake i got around 80 to 110 fps at max preset now i get 40fps .The gpu usage and power are much lower then they were but only when i enter the game as the gpu for example draws 360 w in the main menu of resident evil remake and around 320w in main menu of apex but after entering the game power usage doesn't go over 220 w

Please let me know any other information you need or for me to post . i use msi afterburner and intel extreme tuning utility to oc and monitor and also core temp for cpu temps

is it possible your overclock reset?

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Try reinstalling your graphics drivers. 

Already did that and reverted to old drivers and back to latest . No change.Thanks.

3 minutes ago, phatrattyy said:

is it possible your overclock reset?

i reset it to stock trough msi afterburner and now i oc it again and still low performance.Thanks.

Just reading the title software corruption seems to be likely.  Where and what though is the question.  It’s possible you may just have to keep replacing different stuff till it goes away.  The killitwithfire solution would be a full clean reinstall which won’t tell you where the problem was, but replacing everything may be quickest.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Just reading the title software corruption seems to be likely.  Where and what though is the question.  It’s possible you may just have to keep replacing different stuff till it goes away.  The killitwithfire solution would be a full clean reinstall which won’t tell you where the problem was, but replacing everything may be quickest.

Most probably will resolve to that.Should i use the built in windows reinstall ?

1 minute ago, skrrrt1 said:

Most probably will resolve to that.Should i use the built in windows reinstall ?

I never have myself for that.  I have no info.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Do Alt + Z to open the Nvidia Overlay, click on the Settings cog, HUD setup, Performance, select Advanced. Now go ingame, hit Alt + R to bring up the performance overlay, wait for it to populate and then screenshot. Post the screenshot here. 

1 hour ago, skrrrt1 said:

Already did that and reverted to old drivers and back to latest . No change.Thanks.

How did you reinstall them? Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

27 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

Do Alt + Z to open the Nvidia Overlay, click on the Settings cog, HUD setup, Performance, select Advanced. Now go ingame, hit Alt + R to bring up the performance overlay, wait for it to populate and then screenshot. Post the screenshot here. 

i don't use nvidia geforce experience so i don't have the overlay.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How did you reinstall them? Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller?

Yes i used ddu .

Tried  resetting  BIOS?

Also whats your PSU?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Tried  resetting  BIOS?

Also whats your PSU?

Yes.Still the same . I have a Corsair rm750x

2 hours ago, skrrrt1 said:

i don't use nvidia geforce experience so i don't have the overlay.

i installed the geforce experience and i used the overclock feature in the interface from nvidia still no change.desktop.thumb.jpg.0f318a7a1ed75fc28a70033765dba647.jpg

res2.jpg

res4.jpg

24 minutes ago, skrrrt1 said:

Yes.Still the same . I have a Corsair rm750x

i don't know, but its possible the psu got damaged... i mean its not too far fetched.

So either reinstall windows or try another psu 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

That’s interesting your GPU utilization actually drops to less than 50% in game while clock speed and voltage increase. Power consumption is also down compared to the title screen by quite a bit.

i installed the geforce experience and i used the overclock feature in the interface from nvidia still no change.desktop.thumb.jpg.0f318a7a1ed75fc28a70033765dba647.jpg

res2.jpg

res4.jpg

Download and run Unigine Superposition and see what score you get. Run it on 1080p Extreme. 

23 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Download and run Unigine Superposition and see what score you get. Run it on 1080p Extreme. 

what's the point ? also i game in 2k

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

i don't know, but its possible the psu got damaged... i mean its not too far fetched.

So either reinstall windows or try another psu 

i don't think the gpu could draw 370w from a damaged psu xD

25 minutes ago, skrrrt1 said:

what's the point ? also i game in 2k

See how your scores align with how they're supposed to be. 

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

See how your scores align with how they're supposed to be. 

i don't need to do that as my pc was performing great before the sudden power outage and my pc turning off and i know it's performing terribly comparing to just few minutes before the power outage happened ,also you can see in the pictures the utilization is weird and high in the menu of resident evil remake at max while after entering actual game the gpu utilization is bellow 50 % and power dont go over 220 w when the gpu should draw over 300+ w always when in a graphic demanding game atleast it was like that before the power outage and my pc turning off

1 hour ago, Whatisthis said:

Ye it is weird af to draw 360 w in main menu and then 220 max while in the actual game same happens in apex legends i think ill just reinstall windows tomorrow and hope it fixes it .

i don't think the gpu could draw 370w from a damaged psu xD

why not?

(thats besides how would you even know how much it draws?)

I'll be frank, these topics where someone asks for help and then dismisses every suggestion (eh, maybe you would install windows, maybe) are extremely baffling... what do you want us to say lol...

Run at least a benchmark like 3DMark Firestrike already that we have at least something to work with. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

(thats besides how would you even know how much it draws?)

The GPU has current and voltage sensors and he posted screenshots showing the wattage?