planning to buy products overseas, question on voltage and hz difference

RJ56Hours

hi all, I'm planning to buy something from a country with a different voltage and hz from mine, I've searched the web but I'm still not 100% sure if I'm right. So it'd be nice to have some confirmation.

Say, I want to buy this monitor in US Amazon, I checked the product page which says

Product Voltage : 

100-240V, 50/60Hz

US Voltage:

110-120V (60 Hz)

Socket type A and B

My country is:

220, 50hz

Socket type G

1. Does it mean the product origin's Voltage and frequency does NOT matter if the product clearly state that it can vary from 100-240V, 50/60Hz?

2. Therefore, does it mean I can just buy a Socket adapter from A/B to G, and just plug it in and it'd work?

Thanks in advance!

post monitor

if it uses a normal c13 power cord, you can use the one from your old monitor. 

please do not use plug adaptor in a permanent install

Most modern electronics are multi voltage/freq capable.  

All you need is a good adapter, preferably one rated for however many watts the device consumes. 

13 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

do not use plug adaptor in a permanent install

Every adapter and connection can cause losses but I wouldn't worry about "permanent" install. 

15 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

post monitor

if it uses a normal c13 power cord, you can use the one from your old monitor. 

please do not use plug adaptor in a permanent install

1 minute ago, Heliian said:

All you need is a good adapter, preferably one rated for however many watts the device consumes. 

Every adapter and connection can cause losses but I wouldn't worry about "permanent" install. 

I agree with these two.

Electronics now of days can handle both fine. Monitors have detachable plugins, you can just plug in a US power cable.

When it comes to energy compatibility, certain things such as electronic shavers, or things along those lines will require an adapter, but when it comes to electronics such as TVs, consoles, and basically anything that has a built in PSU, they can handle both voltages.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

38 minutes ago, Heliian said:

wait, I'm even more confused rn. Shouldn't the monitor come with a power adapter that can do 100-240V, 50/60Hz as stated in product page, then it's just the matter of power plug socket type right? 

So can I not just use the power adapter that comes with monitor package, then just go wherever and buy the right power plug socket adapter for my region?

1 hour ago, Heliian said:

losses are not the problem. plug adaptors are all uncertified and 99% of them are cheap housefire tier. 

its bad practice to use them.

3 hours ago, Heliian said:

How? They are just bits of metal, from one plug pin shape to another plug pin shape. They are simply acting as a bit of the power cord.

Yes, best to use the power cord for your country but if you don't have one and have an adaptor it will work perfectly.

As for 110 volts or 230 volts, it is the electronics in the device that does the adaptation (if you want to call it that).

As for frequency, the AC is changed (rectified) to DC so the frequency doesn't matter.

Old equipment (50? 60?) years old where the voltage went straight to a transformer sometimes might have had a slight (note "slight") problem if designed for 60 Hz and run on 50 Hz..

Many plug adapters are not rated for the full amperage of a wall outlet in most countries. 

They’re generally intended for small personal electronics.

5 hours ago, RJ56Hours said:

wait, I'm even more confused rn. Shouldn't the monitor come with a power adapter that can do 100-240V, 50/60Hz as stated in product page, then it's just the matter of power plug socket type right? 

So can I not just use the power adapter that comes with monitor package, then just go wherever and buy the right power plug socket adapter for my region?

Yes, all you need is a different power plug/cable for whichever country you end up in. The PSU of the monitor will automatically regulate any voltage/frequency you through it at, as long as it it between 100V and 240V, 50hz or 60hz.

No (travel) adapter needed. Simply change the cable for one that fits in your power socket.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If the monitor has an internal power supply you can just have to buy an identical power cable with your countries specific plug.

If it has an external power supply then depending on the type it's either the same as above or you'll have to get a travel adapter that converts different plug types to your local plug type (make sure that it has a fuse and isn't one of those big clive certified death-daptors) or you can source a local version of the same adapter.