MediaTek rumored to integrate NVIDIA GPU design to develop low power GPU for future MediaTek SoC

Summary

MediaTek rumored to be partnering up with NVIDIA for developing low power GPU for their mobile SoC in early 2024

Quotes

NVIDIA x MediaTek, Digitimes: 

MediaTek is expected to integrate an Nvidia GPU into its next-generation flagship mobile processor as early as 2024, according to industry sources. In addition to co-developing mobile handset platforms to enhance AI and gaming functionalities of MediaTek's application processors, MediaTek and Nvidia will also cooperate in developing WOA (Windows on Arm) platform products for notebook applications, said the sources. 

...Nvidia will also likely see its performance improve quarterly in the second half of the year, buoyed by increasing GPU order momentum from a seasonal demand in the gaming market. Meanwhile, the sources added that the co-development of the WOA platform products, powered by Nvidia GPU and AI technologies, will help the two firms penetrate the notebook market. The WOA platform products will also enhance MediaTek's presence in the midrange to high-end notebook segments, said the sources, noting that MediaTek currently focuses on the entry-level Chromebook market with a 20% share.

TomsHardware:

MediaTek plans to integrate a graphics processing unit (GPU) based on one of Nvidia’s microarchitectures into its SoCs (system-on-chip) for smartphones and Windows-on-Arm mobile PCs, reports DigiTimes. Integrating a high-performance GPU could greatly improve their competitive advantages over rivals, such as Qualcomm and Samsung — the latter of which licenses AMD's GPU designs.

While licensing GPU technology has been Nvidia's plan for years, the information about a collaboration with MediaTek comes from an unofficial source and not all the details are clear. As usual, apply some skepticism and know that plans could change. MediaTek and Nvidia are reportedly working on mobile handset platforms with MediaTek contributing its vast SoC expertise and Nvidia contributing its GPU architecture prowess to enhance the AI and graphics capabilities of smartphones. In addition, the two companies are also building more powerful SoCs for Windows-on-Arm notebooks, according to DigiTimes.

My thoughts

I don't have much to say about the NVIDIA x MediaTek news. I kinda don't think this is a big surprise, in fact they did that RTX on ARM demo with a MediaTek chip back in 2021 which was during the NVIDIA ARM acquisition drama, but at the same time I do hope this is not NVIDIA trying to find a loophole to strangle ARM chips market silently and I hope this doesn't spark any gatekeeping problem for basically everyone else that are partnering up with MediaTek for their mobile chip or anything else, especially that MediaTek still have some partnership with AMD in some spaces like Network solution for AMD mobile platforms. But we shall see whether this is going to be actually happening or not

Sources

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20230515PD212/gpu-mediatek-nvidia.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mediatek-to-adopt-nvidia-gpu-tech-report

https://9to5google.com/2023/05/16/mediatek-nvidia-gpu-report/

CUDA on mobile hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

41 minutes ago, Arika S said:

that could be fun.

qualcomm really need competition

Makes me wonder just how AMD was Samsung's exynos 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

that could be fun.

qualcomm really need competition

Yeah I agree I'm pretty excited about this combo