i7 4790k can turbo boost to 4.4GHz

Faa

At least provide some information on the subject instead of being lazy and just saying "LOOKIE HERE GUYZ DIS LINK HAZ ALL DA ANSAS!!!"

My thoughts EXACT

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

My thoughts EXACT

Great minds think alike. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This.... is not actually impressive.... I might be switching to AMD for sure this time when DDR4 comes out

How was this ever going to be impressive... This is neither a tick, nor a tock. This is a release intel had to do just to drive the motherboards sales of the 9 series up...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I have a feeling these things are going to OC a lot better thanks to the new TIM. maybe we'll see the "everyone runs their chip at 5GHz" days again just like good ol' sandy bridge

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

does it come with the stock cooler, that would surprise me if it did. It cant cool even 4.0ghz

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

How was this ever going to be impressive... This is neither a tick, nor a tock. This is a release intel had to do just to drive the motherboards sales of the 9 series up...

I know, it just makes me sad that it works on people :/

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Breaking news!

AMD just announced a twenty-core cpu at 10ghz

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Change the OP link to this one, quote some text, and change the title to "new information about Devil's Canyon"

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Breaking news!

AMD just announced a twenty-core cpu at 10ghz

With IPC equivalent to Pentium G3220. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

With IPC equivalent to Pentium G3220. :D

True

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

I know, it just makes me sad that it works on people :/

It depends, for example I'm going to build a PC this summer, since I don't have a desktop that means it's going to be from scratch. I'm going to buy a i7 4790k because of that... not to upgrade from an i7 4770k, there's always a market for new builds like mine. 

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just pointing out that there are variables. :)

If the i7 base clock is really at 4.0GHz on all cores IMO that is a significant improvement over the 4770K

fingers crossed for solder ( doubtful)

complete speculation until official info is released, however lots of these little leaks seem to be true :)

See post #15 I've updated it with the new z97. I tried to tell you that last time. If it's going to be the same for the new 4790k it would be nice to have 4.4GHz right out of the box and hit 5GHz with no troubles.

I have heard things like Intel worked on their wafers to achieve better quality chips, their quality control since ivy bridge got out of hand

At least provide some information on the subject instead of being lazy and just saying "LOOKIE HERE GUYZ DIS LINK HAZ ALL DA ANSAS!!!"

I did :P

See post #15 I've updated it with the new z97. I tried to tell you that last time. If it's going to be the same for the new 4790k it would be nice to have 4.4GHz right out of the box and hit 5GHz with no troubles.

I have heard things like Intel worked on their wafers to achieve better quality chips, their quality control since ivy bridge got out of hand

I did :P

I do recall, you attempted to educate  me on how the stock turbo frequency worked on the chip in my computer. A chip you have no personal experience with, the same chip I have owned and learned about over the last year with multiple boards.

Here was your input word for word :)

4770k:

base/idle: 3.5GHz

1core: 3.9GHz

2core: 3.8GHz

3core: 3.7GHz

4core: 3.6GHz

Whenever you enable xmp and if the motherboard supports the agressive turbo you get for 4 cores load 3.9GHz. Can show you a screenshot with the default settings prime95 cpu just boosting to 3.3GHz (from 3.2GHz) with all cores loaded and at 1333MHz and when I change the memory speed to 1600 or enable xmp I get 3.8GHz in prime95, just save me this effort cba doing this

I agree. mainboard vendors have different have different turbo settings.

you need to understand intel has a turbo spec for each sku and that has nothing to do with how mainboard vendors wish to apply their turbo values.

setting xmp does nothing for turbo boost  on the two Z87 boards i personally own.

once again a 4770K turbos like this not what you posted above in your comment, this is intel spec, mainboard vendors have nothing to do with this specification, they apply their own turbo rules.

(intel spec not open for debate)

base/idle: 3.5GHz

1core: 3.9GHz

2core: 3.9GHz

3core: 3.8GHz

4core: 3.7GHz

So its interesting to speculate how some users are suggesting perhaps only one core is hitting 4.4GHz...could very well be true.

feel free to reply when you have a comprehensive understanding of

intel specification

mainboard vendors auto rules

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I agree. mainboard vendors have different have different turbo settings.

Which is wrong, you either have the default which is 3.7GHz or you have the agressive turbo that will run at 3.9GHz (see my source below pointing this out). If mainboard vendors go out with each their own rules, the cinebench scores would have been all over the place.

you need to understand intel has a turbo spec for each sku and that has nothing to do with how mainboard vendors wish to apply their turbo values.

Why are you still talking about the default turbo? The agressive turbo you get from enabling xmp will override the default turbo and you'd get the max turbo clock backuped by this source: http://be.hardware.info/reviews/5380/50/19-intel-z97-chipset-moederborden-review-de-nieuwe-generatie-getest-benchmarks-cinebench-115

I admit i was wrong about how it boosts, but how the default turbo works wasnt even my point at all.

4.0GHZ base clock speed! Nice! Will probably buy one for my new computer

I think this should be a decent upgrade from my 2500k.

Silicon lottery goddess wasn't kind to me then.

Wonder if this will finally make it worth an upgrade form my 2600k for pcie3... or maybe I'll wait for DDR4. :|

This thing will destroy anything AMD has at the moment

No duh. -_-

I'll buy it and try to overclock to 5.0GHz. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

I'll buy it and try to overclock to 5.0GHz. :P

I guess speculation is it will do 5.0 GHz on air.

I guess speculation is it will do 5.0 GHz on air.

I'm not so sure, the results should be similar to those who de-lidded haswell chips, the on-board power phases will still be super toasty.