What's on the Telly? Ads. Startup offers 500,000 free TVs with a 2nd screen for ads

Spotty
49 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Always remember tracking is like living with ghosts; You are either stuck with them, or they're stuck with you and as the living one, you have the choice.

Like trust me, at the 50 hour mark of "the LotR non-stop marathon", they will choose to disconnect you from the tracking because you have already managed to send couple data analyst to early retirement over mental problems and they must have found out that the data from you probably won't be getting any more monetizable in the future.

They certainly don't have humans sift through your data directly... to a point intentionally generating garbage data can be an effective tool against malicious tracking but in this case not really. They probably wouldn't get anything useful out of me anyway because I only use my TV as a screen and I almost never watch actual TV programs but I still find it annoying and also it likely means it needs to be connected to the internet all the time, which might even be a security risk.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I assumed this was for businesses like bars that have a bunch of TV's for sports. Makes sense there, makes a lot of sense.

I mean, I only use like 2 or 3 ad blockers and connect my Mac to my TV so I have no ads. Ive even considered going back to physical media and ripping it to my Plex server so I can avoid ads even more. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/15/2023 at 7:09 PM, jagdtigger said:

I dont care how much more it costs ill just buy a big@ss monitor when my current TV kicks the bucket......

Nothing is stopping you from buying a smart TV and just not connecting it to the internet. That automatically makes it a dumb TV. 99% of the smart TVs on the market work perfectly fine without an internet connection.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Nothing is stopping you from buying a smart TV and just not connecting it to the internet.

Until they wont let you use it without internet...... :old-eyeroll: (And lets not kid ourselfs, they are going to do it.)

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Until they wont let you use it without internet...... :old-eyeroll: (And lets not kid ourselfs, they are going to do it.)

Maybe they will, but currently they don't. And if you don't connect it they have no way of "updating" the firmware to change that on current models.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Maybe they will, but currently they don't. And if you don't connect it they have no way of "updating" the firmware to change that on current models.

I dont think its a question of if but when, and ATM im doing that. It is plugged into the network but the FW wont let it out onto the internet.