Can I use one of these cheap adapter cards to run 4 NVME SSDs from 1 PCIe 16x slot?

mrleaw
Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,
1 hour ago, mrleaw said:

I'm planning to get 4 NVME SSDs (for NAS Server purposes) and was wondering if my mainboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming) can handle to drive all of them through a single PCIe 16x slot.

It is possible to use one slot to drive all of those drives, however as long as you have a GPU in the primary slot, there is going to be a bandwidth limitation as inserting this card into the second slot will probably drive the speed of both slots to x8/x8. This already reduces the available bandwidth for your GPU as well as for this card, as what would be possible would only be 4 x M.2 PCIe 3.0 x2. Still, even that would require a motherboard that supports PCIe bifurcation.

There is a certain limit of bandwidth that both the CPU and the Chipset provide to the motherboard ports, it is not advised to shoot too close to that limit and it's definitely not the case that all of the ports can run at their maximum bandwidth at once.

Another thing is that if you use such a "cheap" card, it doesn't have a hardware RAID controller of any kind, so all RAID is purely software in this case. This has both upsides and downsides.
You could run two drives from the onboard M.2 slots and the other two from the add-on 2 x m.2 card, although you'd need to check your motherboard manual if anything gets disabled if the secondary onboard M.2 slot is populated, as well as what kind of bandwidth that slot supports. Mixing all of that into a RAID is not an optimal solution, although a software RAID should still work.
For such configurations people usually turned to HEDT platforms due to those having a lot more available PCIe lanes for devices like M.2's and were better suited for RAID.

I guess you'd need to specify your needs better and evaluate from there what solution you actually require. Maybe a better solution would be to buy a dedicated NAS like a small Synology or QNAP?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get 4 NVME SSDs (for NAS Server purposes) and was wondering if my mainboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming) can handle to drive all of them through a single PCIe 16x slot. I also attached a screenshot from the motherboard manual, which makes it seem like it's not a supported configuration. Or should I just use two of the mainboard M.2 slots and get a PCIe to 2x M.2 NVME adapter card for the other 2 SSDs?

Thanks for your help

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 22.25.14.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 22.26.13.jpg

Do you want the 4 SSDs to be bootable or in RAID mode?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

are you doing a server task that requires the drive speed to exceed the networks speed

See if you can understand this page.  https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1037507/

It is for Asus' own version of such a card but I'd guess similar applies to others. Your board is on the list but I don't get exactly what configuration is supported. It doesn't look like 4 whatever it is.

Edit: I think I get it now. You can use 3 in one slot, and 0 in another. OR you can use 1 in 1st slot and 2 in other. Either way, that's still 3 total. I think this is because the x16 slots can only split to x8/x4/x4.

Or should I just use two of the mainboard M.2 slots and get a PCIe to 2x M.2 NVME adapter card for the other 2 SSDs?

This should be possible, but you need to double check where the mobo gets the lanes from for the on board M.2 so it doesn't conflict with the PCIe slots.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, mrleaw said:

I'm planning to get 4 NVME SSDs (for NAS Server purposes) and was wondering if my mainboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming) can handle to drive all of them through a single PCIe 16x slot.

It is possible to use one slot to drive all of those drives, however as long as you have a GPU in the primary slot, there is going to be a bandwidth limitation as inserting this card into the second slot will probably drive the speed of both slots to x8/x8. This already reduces the available bandwidth for your GPU as well as for this card, as what would be possible would only be 4 x M.2 PCIe 3.0 x2. Still, even that would require a motherboard that supports PCIe bifurcation.

There is a certain limit of bandwidth that both the CPU and the Chipset provide to the motherboard ports, it is not advised to shoot too close to that limit and it's definitely not the case that all of the ports can run at their maximum bandwidth at once.

Another thing is that if you use such a "cheap" card, it doesn't have a hardware RAID controller of any kind, so all RAID is purely software in this case. This has both upsides and downsides.
You could run two drives from the onboard M.2 slots and the other two from the add-on 2 x m.2 card, although you'd need to check your motherboard manual if anything gets disabled if the secondary onboard M.2 slot is populated, as well as what kind of bandwidth that slot supports. Mixing all of that into a RAID is not an optimal solution, although a software RAID should still work.
For such configurations people usually turned to HEDT platforms due to those having a lot more available PCIe lanes for devices like M.2's and were better suited for RAID.

I guess you'd need to specify your needs better and evaluate from there what solution you actually require. Maybe a better solution would be to buy a dedicated NAS like a small Synology or QNAP?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

are you doing a server task that requires the drive speed to exceed the networks speed

he might have 10gig 😛 

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

I'm running 5x4TB HDDs (RAIDZ2 configuration) in my TrueNAS server right now. And am planning on using two of them as L2ARC, and the other two as a second pool with the two SSDs mirrored for my TrueNAS Apps and VMs

33 minutes ago, mrleaw said:

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get 4 NVME SSDs (for NAS Server purposes) and was wondering if my mainboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming) can handle to drive all of them through a single PCIe 16x slot. I also attached a screenshot from the motherboard manual, which makes it seem like it's not a supported configuration. Or should I just use two of the mainboard M.2 slots and get a PCIe to 2x M.2 NVME adapter card for the other 2 SSDs?

Thanks for your help

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 22.25.14.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 22.26.13.jpg

Dont think it can work as your board only support x8/x4+x4 and not x4x4x4x4 (no retail board does afaik) 

rgds

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

not x4x4x4x4 (no retail board does afaik) 

that is what i had in my system before 😛 

8 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It is possible to use one slot to drive all of those drives, however as long as you have a GPU in the primary slot, there is going to be a bandwidth limitation as inserting this card into the second slot will probably drive the speed of both slots to x8/x8. This already reduces the available bandwidth for your GPU as well as for this card, as what would be possible would only be 4 x M.2 PCIe 3.0 x2.

Another thing is that if you use such a "cheap" card, it doesn't have a hardware RAID controller of any kind, so all RAID is purely software in this case. You could run two drives from the onboard M.2 slots and the other two from the add-on 2 x m.2 card, although you'd need to check your motherboard manual if anything gets disabled if the secondary onboard M.2 slot is populated, as well as what kind of bandwidth that slot supports. Still mixing all of that into a RAID is not an optimal solution, although a software RAID should still work.
For such configurations people usually turned to HEDT platforms due to those having a lot more available PCIe lanes for devices like M.2's and are better suited for RAID usually.

I guess you'd need to specify your needs better and evaluate from there what solution you actually require. Maybe a better solution would be to just buy a dedicated NAS like a small Synology or QNAP?

So I guess I'll go with two ssds in the mainboard directly as these m.2 ports can be used and don't disable any other slots, and then use a 2x ssd card in the secondary PCIe slot. I guess 8x for the GPU should be fine as I'm just using my old GTX 1080 for it's NVENC features, just need to encode, decode, and transcode probably one stream at the same time.

Of course HEDT would be the better choice, but I have almost all of the components lying around, so might as well try to use them.

Thanks for your help

check if your motherboard supports pci-e bifurcation 

Just now, OhYou_ said:

check if your motherboard supports pci-e bifurcation 

it didn't mention it, so I guess it doesn't 😅

8 minutes ago, NorKris said:

that is what i had in my system before 😛 

Which board did you have ? Server/Threadripper one ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, PDifolco said:

Which board did you have ? Server/Threadripper one ?

x299 😛 

but all u need is a 16slot with bifurcation and ur GPU in another slot (if u need a GPU that is..) 

21 minutes ago, mrleaw said:

I'm running 5x4TB HDDs (RAIDZ2 configuration) in my TrueNAS server right now. And am planning on using two of them as L2ARC, and the other two as a second pool with the two SSDs mirrored for my TrueNAS Apps and VMs

What are you using the HDD pool for? I'd generally skip the l2arc. From my uses, the Hit ratio is very low and provides almost no benfit for home server uses.

42 minutes ago, mrleaw said:

it didn't mention it, so I guess it doesn't 😅

Without PCIe bifurcation support there's no way for such card to work then, for instance my MSI X570 Prestige Creation comes with an MSI Xpander card which adds two M.2 PCIe 4.0 x 4 slots and it requires setting the slot into a x4/x4 mode instead of x8 to use it. The card you linked would require a full X16 bandwidth split into x4/x4/x4/x4.

This feature as I mentioned was usually available on HEDT motherboards, not mainstream ones like yours.

The only way for it to work would be to use both M.2 slots on your motherboard and a dual M.2 add-on card put in the second slot and setting that slot into x4/x4 mode, provided your motherboard supports that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

53 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Without PCIe bifurcation support there's no way for such card to work then

The manual excerpt in OP shows two x16 slots break down to 8/4/4, and the link in my earlier post to Asus shows the mobo could support 3 drives in that configuration. So it partially works. The 4th drive can't be used since the mobo doesn't break some of the lanes below x8.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

20 minutes ago, porina said:

The manual excerpt in OP shows two x16 slots break down to 8/4/4, and the link in my earlier post to Asus shows the mobo could support 3 drives in that configuration. So it partially works. The 4th drive can't be used since the mobo doesn't break some of the lanes below x8.

I think it means that (assuming there is something present in the primary x16) once the second slot is occupied with anything, the first slot defaults to x8 and the second slot is another x8 which may be further divided into x4/x4 for those dual M.2 cards like the ASUS Hyper M.2 or MSI M.2 Xpander

Although this seems to say that three SSDs are possible, provided you use the primary PCIe slot? Not really sure what "3/1" or "0/2" mean exactly:
image.png.4318053bbb2433c115f867f6a9e0cacf.png

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I think it means that (assuming there is something present in the primary x16) once the second slot is occupied with anything, the first slot defaults to x8 and the second slot is another x8 which may be further divided to x4/x4 for those dual M.2 cards like the ASUS Hyper M.2 or MSI M.2 Xpander

Looking at it again, you're right, but I was partially right. It looks like the two x16 slots split the CPU lanes to x8+x8 if both are in use.

From the link I posted before:

image.png.bd033fa2235f04e0123a7a33dd4656e9.png

It looks like if you put a 4 M.2 card in the main (normally GPU) slot with 2nd empty, that can run 3 M.2 drives. If you use the 1st slot as x8 (potentially one x4 M.2) then the 2nd slot can break its 8 lanes into x4+x4 supporting two more M.2 drives. It looks like the first slot can only break the lower 8 lanes as one group.

you could also use a PCIe switch card, but that will cost you, the PCIe 3.0 ones cost 200-300$ for the cheaper ones...

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)