750w PSU enough?

cryosin
Go to solution Solved by filpo,
13 hours ago, --SID-- said:

posted something longer than my english essay 💀

@cryosin these psus that SID posted are all good ones that you could use

Budget (including currency): 2500 USD willing to go higher if needed.

I am building a new computer hopefully next week. I have picked out the parts that I want but want to make sure the PSU will suffice. It would be best if I can go with a 750w PSU as power is an issue in my room. This is why I went with the 13700F as it claims to be a 65W chip. Everything else is pretty firm as those are the parts I want.

AMD recommends a 750w psu for the 7900xt

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ttRFzf

28 minutes ago, cryosin said:

750w PSU as power is an issue in my room

What um...... whats wrong with the electrical if I may inquire?

I think you are overthinking it. The 750w or 850w or 1000w will only deliver what your components are drawing... the rest is all headroom. If your system only draws 500w, then the 750 is actually working harder to provide it compared to the 850. I think with the components you've selected, a 750w PSU will be sufficient. You will get into trouble if you start overclocking your CPU and GPU at the same time and to extreme levels. You really won't need to overclock your CPU for gaming, so there is some headroom there if you really want to crank more fps from your GPU.

I understand what AMD is recommending for your GPU, but since you are buying a card made by ASRock, what do they recommend?

I would spend a bit more on your M.2 drive and upgrade to a 2 TB minimum.

Is $300 a good price for an AIO and five RGB fans?

Did you check a power consumption configurator like on evga's site?

image.thumb.png.ce683aeeecd4115bc08783fcee801821.png

ive done your part list with 1 ssd and 1 hdd.  Based on EVGA's calculation go 850

@johnt makes a valid point. but do check the psu's power computation as ive sent a screen shot from above.

58 minutes ago, cryosin said:

I am building a new computer hopefully next week. I have picked out the parts that I want but want to make sure the PSU will suffice. It would be best if I can go with a 750w PSU as power is an issue in my room. This is why I went with the 13700F as it claims to be a 65W chip. Everything else is pretty firm as those are the parts I want.

Depending on what you're doing and what resolution you're playing on playing games at or doing editing at... a 4070 or 4070Ti should be plenty. I would go for higher on the RAM, and double the storage. I also went with the 13700KF for the higher clock speed. If you don't plan on overclocking, then you can stick with a B760 motherboard too.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZPTrTn

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($381.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($112.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($869.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: HYTE Y60 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($178.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Lian Li UNI FAN SL V2 64.5 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($89.99 @ B&H) 
Case Fan: Lian Li UNI FAN SL V2 64.5 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($89.99 @ B&H) 
$2353.86

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

2 hours ago, cryosin said:

This is why I went with the 13700F as it claims to be a 65W chip.

That's just the TDP of the chip. That doesn't represent the real max power consumption AT ALL. My 12700K goes up to 210W if I stress test it and in normal use, like video editing, it can go up to 140W, the 13700F will consume around the same amount of power under load, but while gaming I'd say that it'll stay below 100W but it'll definetely be above 65W. I'd get a good quality 750 or 850W power supply, I've had a good experience so far with my beQuiet Straight Power 11 850W. It's very quiet, even when I hit it with full load ( I can only do around 420W actually xD), I can't hear it over the fan noise of my case (not that loud actually)

2 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Depending on what you're doing and what resolution you're playing on playing games at or doing editing at

Wait, where does OP mention games and editing? Id agree with your build if they do, probably do some budget shuffle and cost compression to get us more creature comforts.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Wait, where does OP mention games and editing? Id agree with your build if they do, probably do some budget shuffle and cost compression to get us more creature comforts.

I don't think OP mentioned that but using EVGA power consumtion calculator he is near maximum so it would make sense to go higher.

13 hours ago, emosun said:

What um...... whats wrong with the electrical if I may inquire?

Old wiring and I already have a sever on the circuit lol. My current computer has a 750 watt and has never tripped the breakers so I was thinking LOL hopefully I can get away with 750 again

13 hours ago, --SID-- said:

posted something longer than my english essay 💀

@cryosin these psus that SID posted are all good ones that you could use

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

14 hours ago, cryosin said:

Yes, 750W should be fine. It is the GPU manufacturer's recommended minimum.

The G5 PSU is a Tier B model on https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/. Perfectly fine although one can usually find a Tier A in the same price range. E.G. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YRJp99/corsair-rm750e-2023-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020262-nahttps://pcpartpicker.com/product/R4Gbt6/corsair-rm750-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020231-nahttps://pcpartpicker.com/product/hCGbt6/thermaltake-toughpower-gf3-tt-premium-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-tpd-0750fnfagu-4

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.