3080Ti fans lurching up to 100%

MadMinstrel

Recently my 3080Ti GPU has started suddenly ramping up the fan speed to 4000 RPM.... at a super pedestrian 65 degrees Celsius. And this isn't a gradual increase, it just lurches on - sounds like if you suddenly turn on a hairdrier. Whenever it cools down below 65 degrees, it cuts off equally as suddenly. And this happens repeatedly every few seconds when I'm playing a game.

I have installed MSI Afterburner recently because I wanted to just see my GPU temps while I was gaming, and I may have played with the fan curve a little simply because I was checking it out.

I suspect a new, bad fan curve may have been saved onto the GPU firmware, because it now happens on my linux install as well. And now I can't seem to get rid of it.

How do I restore this to factory settings?

Help me LTT-folks! You're my only hope!

46 minutes ago, MadMinstrel said:

Recently my 3080Ti GPU has started suddenly ramping up the fan speed to 4000 RPM.... at a super pedestrian 65 degrees Celsius. And this isn't a gradual increase, it just lurches on - sounds like if you suddenly turn on a hairdrier. Whenever it cools down below 65 degrees, it cuts off equally as suddenly. And this happens repeatedly every few seconds when I'm playing a game.

I have installed MSI Afterburner recently because I wanted to just see my GPU temps while I was gaming, and I may have played with the fan curve a little simply because I was checking it out.

I suspect a new, bad fan curve may have been saved onto the GPU firmware, because it now happens on my linux install as well. And now I can't seem to get rid of it.

How do I restore this to factory settings?

Help me LTT-folks! You're my only hope!

I am not the jedi you are looking for *waves hand*

does your gpu have dual bios?

20 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

I am not the jedi you are looking for *waves hand*

does your gpu have dual bios?

I'm not sure. It's a PNY 3080Ti XLR8, with the firmware 94.02.71.80.50. So... probably not?

12 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

your bios firmaware seems different from this.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/236695/236695

It does, but this is what it says on boot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/es4iwpoQ1HrGMrLE9

Edit: The PNY part number seems to be VCG3080T12TFXPBB. Or at least that's what is written on the box.

Edit 2: Which seems to match the PNY part number here: https://www.pny.com/geforce-rtx-3080-ti-revel

But not the SKU on top of the page which is VCG3080T12TFXPBB1, (and also I can't see the text Revel anywhere on the box)

14 minutes ago, MadMinstrel said:

It does, but this is what it says on boot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/es4iwpoQ1HrGMrLE9

Edit: The PNY part number seems to be VCG3080T12TFXPBB. Or at least that's what is written on the box.

Edit 2: Which seems to match the PNY part number here: https://www.pny.com/geforce-rtx-3080-ti-revel

But not the SKU on top of the page which is VCG3080T12TFXPBB1, (and also I can't see the text Revel anywhere on the box)

hmm if you run CPUZ can you check the gpu tab

And this is what the sensors look like under load:

image.png.a2f33a80f1cf93cd671f45bddea52ab7.png

Note the fan speed being 69%, but the actual RPM being 4118, which is more than I can get it to when I manually set it to 100%.

That hotspot temperature seems pretty high. Is this normal?

Just now, MadMinstrel said:

And this is what the sensors look like under load:image.png.a2f33a80f1cf93cd671f45bddea52ab7.png

Hot Spot is a bit high. Can you try to repaste it.

On 5/14/2023 at 10:28 AM, bebejapes said:

Hot Spot is a bit high. Can you try to repaste it.

I did just that.

Just look how horrible that factory application was.

image.thumb.jpeg.457acb48b1c0b7113d388c585131f756.jpeg

Now my hotspot temp is 88 Celsius under a full load and staying pretty quiet. Which is a good place to be for a 3080Ti. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

On 5/18/2023 at 5:00 PM, MadMinstrel said:

I did just that.

Just look how horrible that factory application was.

image.thumb.jpeg.457acb48b1c0b7113d388c585131f756.jpeg

Now my hotspot temp is 88 Celsius under a full load and staying pretty quiet. Which is a good place to be for a 3080Ti. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

No worries i'm glad i was able to help. What thermal paste did you use?

6 hours ago, bebejapes said:

No worries i'm glad i was able to help. What thermal paste did you use?

Since this was my first time doing this, I went with the tried and true Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.