My new build from old parts dose not post

HauptlingHD
Go to solution Solved by ThousandBlade,

They probably need special RAM, not just unbuffered ecc, but perhaps a few specific sku. 
Often with these server stuff, it's easier to get a working set, and then try to upgrade with same sku parts.

Hi,

I am new on the forum. Hopefully someone can help me.

I build a "new" PC from used parts.

CPU: Xeon E3-1245 V3

MB: ASUS P9D-V

RAM: multiple different ones, more about that later

GPU: gt 630

PSU: some Aero cool 700w unit (can't see the modell number right now but it is in known good condition)

A little history of all the parts:

I bought the CPU and MB used on ebay. I also bought a kit of 4x 8GB Hynix HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB T8 for RAM, but I also tried multiple offer sticks I got laying around as the Hynix kit coursed a "RAM not detect" beep error Code.

I am somewhat skilled in building computers but I can't seem to find the issue with this one. Although I never have built much with workstation/desktop server MBs.

The GPU, PSU, and alternative RAM I used are all in known good Kondition and work in other systems.

I rebuild the PC twice by now and I am pretty sure to not have missed anything. I reseed every component, typed cheering the CMOS, but nothing got the PC to post.

Now there are a few things I am unsure about. The MB has quite a lot of jumpers and I am not sure what half of them do. I have played around with the jumper that disables the on board VGA, but I never got any video out. I tried two known good monitors and cables with the on board VGA and the GPU. One other thing that confuses me is the fact that the MB gives me a beep error with the ebay RAM, but dose not do anything with other RAM installed. So it dose detect inkompatibel RAM but will not Post?

I hope someone Hase experience with this MB and may be able to give me a tip about something obvious that I have overlooked.

I just confirmed that the CPU, GPU, PSU, and a Samsung RAM stick work with the help of a MSI gaming 3 h97. So it has to be something about the Asus P9D-V. Again I am unsure if there is something special to do with workstation MBs or this specific MB.

They probably need special RAM, not just unbuffered ecc, but perhaps a few specific sku. 
Often with these server stuff, it's easier to get a working set, and then try to upgrade with same sku parts.

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It needs udimm ram you bought rdimm

Sorry I should have been more specific. The ebay RAM is rdimm. The Samsung RAM I used to confirm that nothing else is dead was a m378b5773ch0-ch9 udimm. Again with the MSI MB I can confirm that everything works. The Asus MB won't post or at least there is no drive activity and no video output. As I said the ebay rdimm gave me a beep code (RAM Error). With the udimm installed there is no beep code.

47 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

Do you think it would be with a shot to buy RAM sticks from the compatibility list from Asus?

3 minutes ago, HauptlingHD said:

Do you think it would be with a shot to buy RAM sticks from the compatibility list from Asus?

that would be a good start.

At it's got integrated graphics, way easier to get going.

53 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

that would be a good start.

At it's got integrated graphics, way easier to get going.

I think I will sell everything off again. Investing 25€+ for one 8 gb DIMM is not worth it for this build. Thanks for the help anyways.